Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 09:08 AM

8 posts, read 12,726 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have a job in LA that will require me to stay in San Francisco quite a bit throughout the next year. I’m looking to find a small studio apartment for under $2000 per month (in a safe neighborhood).

Here’s the kicker though: I ideally need a washer and dryer in unit (I travel so much that it is a necessity to be able to throw laundry in at 2 am, pack my bag and catch a flight at 6am) and I also need some kind of secured parking, as I will be driving back and forth from LA, but also leaving my car wherever I live when traveling by air.

So, does anyone have any suggestions as to wear to start looking or what buildings might be good options? I don’t mind if parking is off-site, I just need to be able to get a get a spot (and not get stuck on a waiting list).

Also, I am considering North Bay areas as well if you know anything up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 09:57 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,057,948 times
A nice studio in a nice area goes for around $1000 to 1200 a month. So if you're paying up to $2000, you're more likely to get nice amenities like a washer and drier. Just look on craigslist and if places have w/d they will list it. Places with parking included in rent are pretty rare, but I don't know how common it is to find studios with parking included for around $2000 a month. It's common to pay for off-street parking, either to your landlord or to someone near your building who has a garage of some sort. $200 a month is a pretty common price. You can find people offering parking spaces on craigslist.

And SF is not filled with new trendy apartment complexes that can be recommended, it's mainly older apartment buildings owned by small landlords. Vacancy is always low so it's hard to say "go look at this building" because you have no idea if there's vacancy there. Just look on craiglist and you'll find listings of vacancies. Could look on the Citiapartments website too.

The North Bay will be more likely to have places with w/d and parking because it's a lot more suburban than SF.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:26 AM

8 posts, read 12,726 times
Thanks for the info!

Old 03-04-2011, 10:29 AM

292 posts, read 1,242,673 times
Apartments in SoMa or Mission Bay might work for you. Those areas have the largest number of newer communities in SF. The in-unit W/D is probably what is going to be the hardest to find with a studio apartment. There's also a service called Laundry Locker that is located in some apartment buildings where you put your dirty laundry in a locker and they notify you via SMS when it is ready to be picked up from the locker. Their site lists public-accessible locations and has a link to craigslist for apartment sites with lockers, but it only goes to a general craigslist search page. You could try searching craigslist for "laundry locker" or doing a google search for apartment communities. I know Archstone and some others have properties there.

As for safety, the areas before 6th street are much nicer, which is where a lot of these communities are. It's not as dense as nearby areas, but if you're only going to be living there part-time, it might not be so bad.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:31 AM

3,721 posts, read 14,701,290 times
Check out the area around Millbrae or San Bruno. The rent might be a little cheaper in this area than in SF. Close to BART for travel into SF or to the airport. Also close to 101 and 280 freeways. Lots of newer apartments with free parking. You won't find a unit with a washer & dryer. There's usually a common laundry room for all tenants to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland