Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 10:40 PM

34 posts, read 61,093 times

Advertisements

Anyone have recommendations for laid back, lounge-type bars/clubs? (The kind where you can hear yourself talk)

I'm a big fan of places with outdoor sections (loud dancefloors are cool too, as long as there's a quieter lounge area as well)

Clientele: Attractive people in their early 20s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 11:23 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,057,020 times
Pretty much the only way to drink in SF and hear yourself talk is to go to a bar during the day, like say before 6pm maybe. After that and most of them get packed. Also there's not many places you can drink outside for various reasons, small aging real estate for one thing and the windy chilly weather for another. There's a lot of restaurants along the embarcadero where you can drink beer outside by the Bay, like Red's Java House which is a great place to get an Anchor Steam and maybe one of their unique (and tasty) hamburgers on french bread. They have weird hours though.

In downtown Oakland, check out the Trappist which is the only bar I've been in in the Bay Area where you can have a conversation without shouting at night, they turn their music low and the people drinking there talk pretty quietly. Neat place.

Zeitgeist in SF has an outdoor seating area but it's kind of a dumpy acquired taste kind of place, it's like the backyard of a grungy tatoo parlor or something. It can be fun though.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:55 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,077,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkisixx View Post
I only have recommendations for fugly people in their late 20s. Maybe in a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
In downtown Oakland, check out the Trappist which is the only bar I've been in in the Bay Area where you can have a conversation without shouting at night, they turn their music low and the people drinking there talk pretty quietly. Neat place.
If Trappist is packed, check out Pacific Brewing Co. around the corner. Quiet, classy place also (and try their Sheppard's pie if you're hungry).

Old 03-05-2011, 10:36 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,795,377 times
Kona Club on Piedmont Ave in Oakland
Adesso, as long as it isn't right around free happy hour time
Press Club, although not a bar (wine bar), has an ideal atmosphere for lounging. They usually have a DJ playing downtempo (unless there is a private event there)
Spats in Berkeley (Cal Students and older people drink alike)

Old 03-05-2011, 01:22 PM

Also Jupiter in Berkeley for a younger (and kind of rowdy) crowd. It's a huge pizza place where they brew their own beer and basically functions as a giant lounge with pizza available.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:48 PM

6,409 posts, read 8,254,434 times
None of these places being mentioned are really "loungy" to me.

Try Infusion, Pandora (if you like Karaoke), Martuni's, Lush, or Lime in SF
Somar, Bar 355, The Layover, Conga Lounge in Oakland
The Missouri Lounge in Berkeley depending on the night/crowd

probably more, but these scream "lounge" to me

Old 03-05-2011, 08:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,795,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
None of these places being mentioned are really "loungy" to me.

Try Infusion, Pandora (if you like Karaoke), Martuni's, Lush, or Lime in SF
Somar, Bar 355, The Layover, Conga Lounge in Oakland
The Missouri Lounge in Berkeley depending on the night/crowd

probably more, but these scream "lounge" to me
Layover, Lime and Somar are all pretty loud and crowded (fun, and recommended, but you wanted to be able to hear.)

Old 03-05-2011, 09:42 PM

24,352 posts, read 26,840,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkisixx View Post
Anyone have recommendations for laid back, lounge-type bars/clubs? (The kind where you can hear yourself talk)

I'm a big fan of places with outdoor sections (loud dancefloors are cool too, as long as there's a quieter lounge area as well)

Lounges San Francisco

For dancing, Slide and Ruby Skye are my favorite...however, I haven't tried that many because I always go to one of these when I'm in SF.

For lounging, there are a lot...just walk around you'll find some...Marina has a lot of wine bars, there's a chill place next to one of my fav thai restaurants "Osha Thai" they have a couple locations in SF, but this one is in Tenderloin...there's lots of them, I just don't remember most of their names...I only know where they are .

Old 03-06-2011, 12:40 AM

I just went to Frijtz on Valencia in SF...surprisingly chill (but had a decent crowd) at 10pm on a Saturday. The place is set up like a lounge with really low but good music and they serve fries, burgers, crepes and pretty decent beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland