Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:31 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times

Advertisements

I know this is a topic that's been almost worn-out on this site. But I figure its worth re-visiting. Especially now that we're still in a recession and that has probably changed people's minds a bit. As for me, I've been thinking of moving out of state for years. I think the biggest sticking point is that even after the supposed crash in housing prices, We're still talking about $500,000 for anything decent. I refuse to commit that kind of money to a house. It would simply be too much of a financial liability and frankly, where I grew up nice houses cost $150,000 or so. That's perhaps one of my biggest reasons for wanting to move. The overall cost of living is high here.

On the other hand I have a good job. We rent a nice house fairly cheaply. The landlord basically told us he won't raise the rent because we take good care of the place. We have no debts or expenses. So even though I want to move out of here, its also hard to do so because I guess things are too comfortable at the moment. Perhaps if I were out of work I would feel differently. So its a bit of a quandary. Like I said- this idea has been in my head for years. I suppose there's absolutely no shame in renting. But then again- I'd like to own our own house someday. But in the meantime I am compelled to stay.

Anyway, I'd be curious to see if others are thinking the same thing or have similar experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 11:43 AM

943 posts, read 1,321,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I know this is a topic that's been almost worn-out on this site. But I figure its worth re-visiting. Especially now that we're still in a recession and that has probably changed people's minds a bit. As for me, I've been thinking of moving out of state for years. I think the biggest sticking point is that even after the supposed crash in housing prices, We're still talking about $500,000 for anything decent. I refuse to commit that kind of money to a house. It would simply be too much of a financial liability and frankly, where I grew up nice houses cost $150,000 or so. That's perhaps one of my biggest reasons for wanting to move. The overall cost of living is high here.

On the other hand I have a good job. We rent a nice house fairly cheaply. The landlord basically told us he won't raise the rent because we take good care of the place. We have no debts or expenses. So even though I want to move out of here, its also hard to do so because I guess things are too comfortable at the moment. Perhaps if I were out of work I would feel differently. So its a bit of a quandary. Like I said- this idea has been in my head for years. I suppose there's absolutely no shame in renting. But then again- I'd like to own our own house someday. But in the meantime I am compelled to stay.

Anyway, I'd be curious to see if others are thinking the same thing or have similar experiences.
I'm not moving because I already own a house here. Bought it 14 years ago, when they were a lot cheaper.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:51 AM

101 posts, read 275,665 times
I personally would not give up a "good job" right now if I had one (which I do.) If you truly have no "expenses or debts," which I think is fantastic, then I would stay right where you are. Shovel every bit of money into savings. Parts of California are like New York, they're renters areas, and you are right, there is no shame in renting. Most people would love to be in your shoes.

Anyway, I'm not really answering your question, sorry, because I'm not in a similar situation at the moment. I have no desire to move out of state...Just thought I'd comment on your post. Good luck!

Old 03-08-2011, 12:03 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
It's too crowded for me and I never really quite clicked with the fast-pace of life that has gotten to be around here.
Even in the Victorville-area, the urban-spillover has already done its job.

Right now I drive a truck going through the Mountain states and AZ/NM on a weekly basis.
Politics and city-areas aside, these areas are often quiet and clear of any real crowds.
There are long stretches of the 15, 70, 40, 80, and 25 freeways where I feel like the only vehicle on the road.
Anytime I get the unlucky routing up the 5, I'm never alone on that road.

I don't consider myself a loner, but at the same time, it feels like I'm packed into a sardine-can anytime I venture out of the desert/mountain regions.

I'll also say that the few friends I've had over the years have all moved out of state as well.
One guy I knew moved from Victorville out to North Carolina back in '02.
He hardly ever acknowledges being born or lived in CA.
Another dude moved from here to Sioux City, IA back in '08.
Never quite hear from him and when I do, he seems to be in a better mood than when he was living here.

Suffice it to say, I was part of the crowd that never really fit in with the others.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:10 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
I'd love to move, but we're not ready to retire yet. We make good money, and I can't imagine ever being able to set up another business with the ease we set up this one. And our mortgage is stupidly low, as are taxes.

The other problem is where. Hubs is really good at knocking places out of the running, and he seems to want to end up in Brazil or Costa Rica or Mexico. He even tried to tell me we could afford housecleaners there. We can afford them here and he doesn't want them.... that won't change anywhere else....

And I don't want to ever get on a plane again. I want to be near family within DRIVING distance.... but because of fracking, PA is out....

Old 03-08-2011, 07:22 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
One day I hope to make it back to Chicago. Though I always go where I can walk away with the most money. I fled the bay to sac for this reason and would likely still be renting in Berkeley if I was still in the bay. Sac is more affordable then Chicago, but ultimately after spending a majority of my life in California, I can say I prefer the culture/norms/mores and values of back east.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:04 PM

244 posts, read 629,398 times
I'm planning to move in California by early next year. I want to stay for 2 years for studies and enjoy my early twenties in Cali. I won't be buying a house or anything big while I'm there, I'll take the 2 years to get used to it and if I like it and I have a good job after I graduate, why not? But it's understandable that people want to leave, state is apparently not doing too well and homes (especially in SF) are pretty expensive compared to years ago.

Someone correct me, is it true in the early 2000s the state was in the green before the debt?

Old 03-08-2011, 09:09 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Nope. Even with no job currently and no real prospect of ever making the $100K salaries that other people turn up their noses at because it's not enough..

Old 03-08-2011, 09:11 PM

244 posts, read 629,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Nope. Even with no job currently and no real prospect of ever making the $100K salaries that other people turn up their noses at because it's not enough..
it's THAT bad?

Old 03-08-2011, 09:51 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathieuL View Post
it's THAT bad?
I have a degree in music. It's expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland