Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,589 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend are I (lesbian couple) are moving from Boston to the west coast (95% certain on California ). We are both 27 years old, social creatures, without kids.

We need a little help though...

Criteria:
- Lesbian friendly/an abundant lesbian nightlife
- Good, sunny weather
- Reasonably priced houses/apmts
- Low crime rates

In the lineup are:
- San Fran Bay Area (thinking Oakland). But is San Fran just guy gay???
- San Diego. Is the pace too slow??? We are used to the fast paced Boston living/working. Is Hillcrest just guy gay??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 12:54 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,026 times
I think SF would work best, followed by Oakland or Berkeley. I'm told that the lesbian scene in the suburbs is really dismal, so I would definitely stay away if that's important to you. SF will have much more of the variety you're looking for, and it's not just men and in the Castro, either.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:01 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Bernal Heights in SF has a lesbian bar, I don't remember the name though...it's not really an exclusive place though, it feels like an ordinary bar. The Lexington Club in the Mission is a lesbian bar. I dunno if you are into the bar scene but at least they're magnets for lesbians in the area. Depends on if you consider SF affordable though, I have no idea what your budget is or how big an apartment you want, prices should be somewhat like in Boston...a 1br in a decent part of SF goes for $1400 and up for example. The suburbs are less expensive but you have to factor in the cost of driving or commuting on BART etc.

Overall there's not really a lot of focused lesbian culture here like there is gay culture, though as a straight male I might not be the best authority, but I think the Bay Area is known for the lesbian scene being kind of spread out while the gay male scene in the Castro is concentrated...but small, the Castro is really only a few blocks long. But I think it might be that gays in the Bay Area feel comfortable enough to hang out anywhere while in other parts of the US they'd feel more persecuted like they have to stick together in their own enclaves. The Castro doesn't feel exclusive at all though, you might have fun there--lots of people of all orientations there really, lots of good and pretty cheap restaurants and cafes there. The Temescal has a reputation as a lesbian area but I live right next to it and haven't really seen any lesbian stuff though I haven't exactly been looking for it.

And nobody here calls it San Fran btw.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:43 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,994 times
Try using the search button. Those questions have been asked and answered over and over and over and over again.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:02 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,026 times
Oh yes, mayorhaggar's post reminds me that there is a large gay population in Adam's Point neighborhood of Oakland, though there are no lesbian bars in the neighborhood I'm aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland