Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times

Advertisements

I don't think teams are clamoring to leave Oakland as much as wanting to leave the Coliseum. I am A-OK is San Jose and Anaheim want to fight over some other teams.

But I think pro sports team missed the boat on taxpayer funded stadiums. Not happening anymore. Accept maybe in Alaska or some other state flush with revenues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,320,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
My issue has never really been with San Jose or any other city that wants to major league sports.

My only contention is with Lew Wolff and MLB. They wrote Oakland off from the beginning, never gave us a fair shot, even turned down a group of buyers specifically because that group intended to keep the team in Oakland--in favor of Wolff and Fisher.

These teams are so hypocritical as on the one hand, they want to claim the 'we're a business' card and can do as they please because their bottom line is the most important thing, yet on the other hand, when its convenient, they hold entire cities' and their fans hostage, with threats to leave if we dont come out of pocket to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars to build them stadiums.

What I find most interesting and pleasing btw, is that it seems that with respect to the A's situation, the team and MLB find themselves being forced to tred carefully because it turns out, Oakland is not going away quietly.

In fact, we're making a big stink about it, with a Mayor that is now totally on board. All of that couples quite nicely with the Giants' claiming Santa Clara county as the bread and butter of their fan base.

Like Ive said time and time again, I hope its not too late.
Ain't nothing wrong with that. Some of the things Wolff has apparently said are pretty stupid, like about Oakland not having a downtown (?) for a potential parade. This whole thing being dragged out is giving Oakland decent exposure time in the eyes of MLB, for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't think teams are clamoring to leave Oakland as much as wanting to leave the Coliseum. I am A-OK is San Jose and Anaheim want to fight over some other teams.

But I think pro sports team missed the boat on taxpayer funded stadiums. Not happening anymore. Accept maybe in Alaska or some other state flush with revenues.
Well the A's obviously want out and the Warriors keep hinting at SF. The only Oakland team I care about is the Raiders and Al seems to like the idea of rebuilding there in Oakland, which is cool by me.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:47 AM

36,644 posts, read 67,325,378 times
Hell, they even donated heavily to Don Perata's mayoral campaign so he would oppose the A's stadium in Oakland. What a jerk. Good thing he lost.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:31 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,241,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The only Oakland team I care about is the Raiders and Al seems to like the idea of rebuilding there in Oakland, which is cool by me.
Nothing sadder than a Raider fan who thinks Davis gives a rat's behind about Oakland. You think they'd learn from Oakland 1982 and LA and Irwindale, but noooooooo . . .

Old 04-07-2011, 10:33 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,074,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
Nothing sadder than a Raider fan who thinks Davis gives a rat's behind about Oakland. You think they'd learn from Oakland 1982 and LA and Irwindale, but noooooooo . . .
Maybe so, but at least his considerations for new stadiums have them residing somewhere between Oakland and Danville, not in another team's market area or as Wolf eluded to if he didn't get San Jose, ANOTHER STATE.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
I don't think he gives a **** about anything, I was simply going by what he has said about future plans. Al Davis normally such an ******* that I would expect him to be quite upfront about leaving Oakland if that was in the cards.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:54 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,806,792 times
NFL still would prefer Jed and Al share the same stadium in Santa Clara. Can we put cameras in that conference room? Live broadcast, maybe?

Oh, and Mayor Reed says the Redevelopment Dept.-destructo thing won't affect San Jose's bid for the A's building a stadium down here. One more big hurdle apparently being pushed aside.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:37 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,593,702 times
"Nothing sadder than a Raider fan who thinks Davis gives a rat's behind about Oakland" - fizbin

“There will be a new stadium for the Raiders, it’s on the horizon and it’s very exciting,” Trask said.
The Raiders are committed to playing at the Coliseum through the 2013 season. Though she said the team’s priority is to stay in Oakland, Trask said the Raiders “have an open mind about sharing a stadium” with the San Francisco 49ers, who may move to Santa Clara in the heart of Silicon Valley.

NFL's Most Powerful Woman Seeks Stadium Cure for Oakland Raiders Blackouts - Bloomberg

"My biggest thing is, and we work on it day and night, we want a stadium," Davis said during a Jan. 18 news conference. "The best place for a stadium is where the Oakland Coliseum is right now. As to whether it will happen or not, we have to have somewhere in the future here, a new stadium."

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stori...nclick_check=1

"Oh, and Mayor Reed says the Redevelopment Dept.-destructo thing won't affect San Jose's bid for the A's building a stadium down here" - bigdumbgod

Be that as it may,

* According to Major Jean Quan, Oakland owns between 40-50% of the Victory Court land, due to the fire department activity there.

Baseball Oakland Blog: Baseball Oakland Interview with Mayor Jean Quan

* To acquire the rest of the land, eminent domain is an option.

* Oakland's redevelopment agency is in perfect shape, the best out of all Bay Area cities, and clearly has enough money to finance what's needed for this ballpark.

* Oakland City Administrator Dan Lindheim, stated that MLB liked the waterfront Victory Court site, and that it met all major criteria set out by the league. Also, that MLB officials are the ones most enthusiastic about Victory Court as a ballpark location.

Baseball Oakland Blog: MLB: Victory Court is Serious Business

* Oakland has a last ditch Ace-in-the-Hole.. The City can put the A's through a legal nightmare with lawsuits designed to keep the team in Oakland. This was used against the SF Giants twice, and they're still in San Francisco.....

"Licensee [A's] shall not permit or cause to occur any event that may result in the transfer of its Franchise or any of its Home Games to any other city or location or do or fail to do anything which will cause its right to play major league professional baseball in the Stadium to be lost, impaired or transferred to any other city or location."

Oakland Has Legal Bullet to Use Against A

* San Jose might be buying up land, but one parcel is owned by AT&T, sponsors of the San Francisco Giants. Might not be for sale.

* The San Francisco Giants have territorial rights to San Jose, and will take lagal action to retain it.

City steps into Giants-A

* 3/4 of MLB owners have to approve of the move.

* San Jose residents have to approve the stadium

Last edited by Stephen1110; 04-08-2011 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: Adding

Old 04-08-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
* San Jose might be buying up land, but one parcel is owned by AT&T, sponsors of the San Francisco Giants. Might not be for sale.

* The San Francisco Giants have territorial rights to San Jose, and will take lagal action to retain it.

* San Jose residents have to approve the stadium
These are all very overstated points:

- AT&T are not Giants fans nor an arm of the Giants organization; they are a company that does business. If the price is right, they take it.

- Territorial rights are recognized by MLB, not actual law. They have pretty much no legal grounds, and MLB bylaws prohibit owners from suing each other or the league itself.

- The vote is not mandatory unless public money goes directly into construction costs. As of now, the plan is for 100% private financing. We'll see how that works in reality, if it does.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post

- Territorial rights are recognized by MLB, not actual law. They have pretty much no legal grounds, and MLB bylaws prohibit owners from suing each other or the league itself.
Of course, any owner that doesn't follow the territory rights isn't make themselves any friends. If they owners vote to do it to the A's, then everyone else's territory is fair game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland