Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:57 PM

245 posts, read 608,047 times

Advertisements

On Friday, March 18, I went to the ARCO in Pleasant Hill on Pleasant Hill Road. I always fill it up, and was expecting to be charged for around 16.25-16.75 gallons or so, judging from how many miles ago the "low fuel" light went on and where the gauge was. My gas tank only holds 20 gallons. To my horror though, the meter kept going until 19.760 gallons!

I was in disbelief since I have never filled up over 19 gallons for the life of this car, except once, and I have over 122,000 miles on it. I called Contra Costa County Weights and Measures this past week, and Steve just called me back today confirming they had "red-tagged" Pump No. 1 at the ARCO for under-dispensing.

So my problem is now, how do I get my refund? Judging from past estimates, I feel I am owed anywhere from 3-3.5 gallons of fuel at $3.899 a gallon. What should I do?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 10:09 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Let it go and move on. You ll waste more time, energy and money trying to recoup such a small amount. Just go to another gas station.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:42 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena View Post
On Friday, March 18, I went to the ARCO in Pleasant Hill on Pleasant Hill Road. I always fill it up, and was expecting to be charged for around 16.25-16.75 gallons or so, judging from how many miles ago the "low fuel" light went on and where the gauge was. My gas tank only holds 20 gallons. To my horror though, the meter kept going until 19.760 gallons!

I was in disbelief since I have never filled up over 19 gallons for the life of this car, except once, and I have over 122,000 miles on it. I called Contra Costa County Weights and Measures this past week, and Steve just called me back today confirming they had "red-tagged" Pump No. 1 at the ARCO for under-dispensing.

So my problem is now, how do I get my refund? Judging from past estimates, I feel I am owed anywhere from 3-3.5 gallons of fuel at $3.899 a gallon. What should I do?

Thanks!
Have you talked to a manager there?

I'd explain the situation to them, and if they don't and you're really profoundly bothered about this... get a copy of whatever notice they keep on file at the weights and measures, and give it to your bank and dispute the charge.

Otherwise... accept you lost $12 and get on with it.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:08 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Time to embrace public transit. And a new bike.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:02 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
If it's under-dispensing, then why is it that it supposedly gave you too much gas? I suspect that you're mistaken and your car was nearly running on fumes.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:06 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
You'll probably never get this back....some things you just have to let go of and this is probably one of them.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
If it's under-dispensing, then why is it that it supposedly gave you too much gas? I suspect that you're mistaken and your car was nearly running on fumes.

Underdispensing = it only dispensed around 16 gallons though they charged be for 19.760 gallons, as confirmed by my receipt. So underdispensing is equal to overcharging.

If I am mistaken, then why did Contra Costa Weights & Measures red-tag the pump in question after they inspected it and call me to thank me for reporting this??

Old 03-27-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Have you talked to a manager there?

I'd explain the situation to them, and if they don't and you're really profoundly bothered about this... get a copy of whatever notice they keep on file at the weights and measures, and give it to your bank and dispute the charge.

Otherwise... accept you lost $12 and get on with it.
Good advice! The problem is ARCO only accepts cash or ATM cards, not credit cards/debit cards. I chose to pay cash since they charge a $0.40 fee I believe to use your ATM card with PIN.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:15 AM

One problem I have with just forgetting this and moving on is it is just flat out wrong what they did to me. They owe me around $14-$16.

How many of you would simply ignore a $16 UPC scanner mistake at the grocery store, or not say a word if you withdrew $100 from the ATM, but it only gave you $84?

I will talk to the manager Monday and get paperwork from CC County if necessary. Small Claims court is another possibility. It seems like gas station would not want to go through with the hassle and just give me a $20 gift card instead, which I would take as fair compensation.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena View Post
One problem I have with just forgetting this and moving on is it is just flat out wrong what they did to me. They owe me around $14-$16.

How many of you would simply ignore a $16 UPC scanner mistake at the grocery store, or not say a word if you withdrew $100 from the ATM, but it only gave you $84?

I will talk to the manager Monday and get paperwork from CC County if necessary. Small Claims court is another possibility. It seems like gas station would not want to go through with the hassle and just give me a $20 gift card instead, which I would take as fair compensation.
I understand exactly what you mean. It is the principle of it.

Do you have the receipt? I think that is all you will need. Just talk to the manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland