Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:41 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times

Advertisements

Daly City, Colma, City of South San Francisco (not just southern San Francisco!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 09:15 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Y'know what, Millbrae does have BART which would be more convenient than Caltrain, not sure why I forgot to mention that. It's about a 30 minute ride to Montgomery St in downtown SF. The trains aren't as frequent as through Lafayette or Walnut Creek though.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:01 PM

44 posts, read 64,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Daly City, Colma, City of South San Francisco (not just southern San Francisco!).
Why would you suggest those places? They have terrible schools, crime(mostly gangs in SSF and Daly City) and bad weather.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:39 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrism View Post
Why would you suggest those places? They have terrible schools, crime(mostly gangs in SSF and Daly City) and bad weather.
Never had an issue there myself and they're mostly families.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:29 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indian_mom_of_two View Post
I don't care if my kid is the only indian in class. We are moving from SC and he is the only indian in class here
Important is the commute to sfo ('cos I don't want DH to be sullen everyday) and good schools for the kid.
I'm glad that you're not stuck on the demographic thing. Many people find it to be a major hitch. If that's not an issue for you, then the Lafayette/Orinda/Moraga triangle is like a wedge out of heaven. Beautiful towns with great weather, great schools and easy access to SF downtown, and less expensive than the good areas of the peninsula.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:32 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
The schools in Millbrae are much different than Lamorinda, mainly because of the demographic makeup. The OP says that's not as important, but I think she might change her tune if her kid is the only Indian there. Lafayette is 82% white bread; Millbrae is much more diverse. Foster City and Redwood Shores also have excellent and diverse schools.
Actually my children (also multi-racial) attend schools with quite a few Asian, Indian, and Hispanic kids. The schools in the East Bay (in particular the "Lamorinda" and also Danville/San Ramon areas) have some of the best in this state and many top colleges actually have been known to seek out graduates from the high schools here.

I always find it a little odd when someone mentions an area as being "white bread" as if we were in the middle of Kentucky. We're a fifteen minute drive from San Francisco (when there's no traffic). Most of us living here are actually native San Franciscans/Oaklanders and certainly Californians who have certainly encountered people outside of their race.

Also, just because an area has a white majority, it doesn't equate with racist minded children spawned from racist parents that are going to harass other kids over solely based on the color of their skin. That's in itself a terribly racist and wrong assumption and pretty offensive to me, Sonarrat.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:35 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indian_mom_of_two View Post
we are thinking to pay $2500 in rent monthly.
My husband is willing to travel some for safer, family oriented neighborhoods. His job would take him downtown.
Any kind of weather is fine, what is more important is the schools and the safe/clean neighborhood.
Thanks for your reply
I always liked Outer Richmond or Outer Sunset, take Muni into downtown rather than spend a fortune on parking. Schools are good majority of the population is Oriental.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:46 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Also, just because an area has a white majority, it doesn't equate with racist minded children spawned from racist parents that are going to harass other kids over solely based on the color of their skin. That's in itself a terribly racist and wrong assumption and pretty offensive to me, Sonarrat.
Not at all. But I've seen plenty of people complain that their kids felt isolated in certain areas because they looked different. Do they get over it? Yes. Do they fit in after a time? Yes. But it does happen.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:52 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I always liked Outer Richmond or Outer Sunset, take Muni into downtown rather than spend a fortune on parking. Schools are good majority of the population is Oriental.
The SF school lottery can mean your kids end up in a horrible city school. A lot of parents move to the suburbs when their kids get near middle school age because of this. And overall SF schools are pretty bad, there are only a couple of really good ones like Lowell.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:41 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
The SF school lottery can mean your kids end up in a horrible city school. A lot of parents move to the suburbs when their kids get near middle school age because of this. And overall SF schools are pretty bad, there are only a couple of really good ones like Lowell.
Thank you for correcting me. My children were grown by the time I moved there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland