Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:56 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times

Advertisements

Seismologists say Bay Area is due for major earthquake that could cripple region | Anonymous | Bay Area | San Francisco Examiner

How can anyone prepare for something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 09:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
The article tells you how...

Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Obviously at the end of the day we can't control mother nature, but there are some things that you can do personally that will help you and your family be prepared that at least you'll be able to take care of yourselves just in case help is not nearby.

1. 72-hr emergengy kit. This can be a backpack that you keep in your home, or in your car or in your workplace.(I actually have 1 in each location). Inside should have basic necessities like toiletries, food and water(you can buy army ration style health bars that last for years without spoiling), flashlight & radio(remember to refresh batteries or you can get solar), perhaps a change of underwear and socks, a blanket(try a light travel blanket) and whatever else you deem necessary, like money.
Get Ready for the Big One - Oakland Magazine - February 2008 - Oakland, California

Do More than Cross Your Fingers

2. I have a 3 month supply of food and water and emergency supplies in my home. Build a small supply of food that is part of your normal, daily diet. One way to do this is to purchase a few extra items each week to build a one-week supply of food. Then you can gradually increase your supply until it is sufficient for three months. These items should be rotated regularly to avoid spoilage.
Three-Month Supply

3. Save money for just such an event. Establish a financial reserve by saving a little money each week and gradually increasing it to a reasonable amount.
Financial Reserve

Lastly, there are no guarantees but we each have the capacity to do something that will give us some security should something like this happen here.

http://providentliving.org/images/spacer.gif (broken link)

Last edited by 18Montclair; 04-03-2011 at 09:39 PM..

Old 04-03-2011, 09:27 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Obviously at the end of the day we can't control mother nature, but there are some things that you can do personally that will help you and your family be prepared that at least you'll be able to take care of yourselves just in case help is not nearby.

1. 72-hr emergengy kit. This can be a backpack that you keep in your home, or in your car or in your workplace.(I actually have 1 in each location. Inside should have basic necessities like toiletries, food and water(you can buy army ration style health bars that last for years without spoiling), flashlight & radio(remember to refresh batteries or you can get solar), perhaps a change of underwear and socks, a blanket(try a light travel blanket) and whatever else you deem necessary, like money.
Get Ready for the Big One - Oakland Magazine - February 2008 - Oakland, California

Do More than Cross Your Fingers

2. I have a 3 month supply of food and water and emergency supplies in my home. Build a small supply of food that is part of your normal, daily diet. One way to do this is to purchase a few extra items each week to build a one-week supply of food. Then you can gradually increase your supply until it is sufficient for three months. These items should be rotated regularly to avoid spoilage.
Three-Month Supply

3. Save money for just such an event. Establish a financial reserve by saving a little money each week and gradually increasing it to a reasonable amount.
Financial Reserve

Lastly, there are no guarantees but we each have the capacity to do something that will give us some security should something like this happen here.

Thanks!

I come from a city that only has to worry about Hurricanes and although those can be quite disastrous at least you have a 3 or more day warning that it is coming. I am terrified when I read stories like this. I ride my motorcycle over the San Mateo bridge everyday to go to work in Oakland. Everyday that I am on that bridge it does cross my mind that it could happen while I am crossing that bridge and there is nothing I can do to save myself. Just my guardian angels can!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:27 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
That's what I always wanted to know. Besides preparing the essentials, how exactly can one prepare for a devastating earthquake that could possibly destroy the whole city? There's no amount of preparation for an event like that.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
The article tells you how...
It does but that is not the kind of preparedness that I'm worried about.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:34 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Thanks!

I come from a city that only has to worry about Hurricanes and although those can be quite disastrous at least you have a 3 or more day warning that it is coming. I am terrified when I read stories like this. I ride my motorcycle over the San Mateo bridge everyday to go to work in Oakland. Everyday that I am on that bridge it does cross my mind that it could happen while I am crossing that bridge and there is nothing I can do to save myself. Just my guardian angels can!
I don't think there is much that can be done to avoid the pain of a devastating earthquake... If something like the one in Japan (i.e. Richter scale 9) hits CA I would guess the loss of life and devastation would be significantly worse because the earthquake preparedness or quality of construction in CA is nowhere even close to that of Japan.

Also with the current financial situation and the general inefficiency and incompetence of CA as a state, I really doubt that CA is as well prepared as TX in terms of dealing with emergency.

I dont know about the bridges but I think studies have showed that a major earthquake will result in the collapse and inundation of the transbay tube which could kill thousands traveling on BART.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Thanks!

Dont think like that. Obviously when its time to go, its time to go but that's another thread altogether. LOL.

Just by miracle you happen to survive and need to be self sufficient for a little while, I would rather err on the side of caution.

Im sort of on top of this partly because my church is big into emergency preparedness so every quarter 2 people come over to make sure that my in-home supply is ready to go and not lacking in anything. We pair up and go to all the members' homes. Some families need to replenish their supplies but are unable to financially so the rest of us kick in a little to help them either get up to par or as close as possible.

Ya know in these economic times, I know many people who actually survived off of their food supply when money was tight.

Its something I think everyone regardless of religious affiliation should consider. If not for themselves, at least for their families.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:49 PM

Oh, and the American Red Cross is a tremendous resource.

Also, since you work in Oakland-there's a place on Telegraph and 16th(?) that sells readymade emergency kits that start at about 30 dollars and goes up into the hundreds depending on how elaborate you want to get.

If I find the link to that place I'll put it on here for whomever is interested.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh, and the American Red Cross is a tremendous resource.

Also, since you work in Oakland-there's a place on Telegraph and 16th(?) that sells readymade emergency kits that start at about 30 dollars and goes up into the hundreds depending on how elaborate you want to get.

If I find the link to that place I'll put it on here for whomever is interested.
I work for the American Red Cross so if I survive I will do all that I can to assist in their efforts to help the community!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland