Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 03:03 PM

230 posts, read 407,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Eh, those are Southern things. And I see people do it in the Bay Area, just not consistently. And I'm willing to put up with people not holding doors 100% of the time if I don't have to deal with Southerners' weird chivalry/patronizing towards women and their judgmental nosiness and erratic racism.

This is disappearing everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 04:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,706,638 times
Quote:
Eh, those are Southern things. And I see people do it in the Bay Area, just not consistently. And I'm willing to put up with people not holding doors 100% of the time if I don't have to deal with Southerners' weird chivalry/patronizing towards women and their judgmental nosiness and erratic racism.
Ok that's true, but my number one peeve is when you are walking into a building, and there is an elevator in the lobby. Someone just walked in a few steps ahead and hopped in the elevator and the rush to get in, shut the door and rush to get the elevator instead of holding it for you.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:37 PM

881 posts, read 1,809,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Ok that's true, but my number one peeve is when you are walking into a building, and there is an elevator in the lobby. Someone just walked in a few steps ahead and hopped in the elevator and the rush to get in, shut the door and rush to get the elevator instead of holding it for you.
Problem with some office buildings, some floors require badge access and others don't. We had a thief who go onto to our badge access floor by "tailgating" someone in the elevator. He stole several laptops.

He was later caught, and apparently does this regularly at various office buildings in the area.

It was the policy at several past employers to NOT let just anybody in the elevator/building with us unless they have the right ID clearly displayed.

Last edited by gnomatic; 04-14-2011 at 04:57 PM..

Old 04-14-2011, 05:33 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,769,028 times
I've lived here for 12 years ( The Bay Area, not SF) and also moved from New England but am originally from the South. So I've had experience in a diverse range of areas.

For starters, almost everyone here is from everywhere else. Its a very transient place. I'd say the East Coast is very well represented as is the Midwest. There aren't many Southerners per say. It seems like the people I've met here like to cling to whatever area they're originally from. Again- its a pretty transient city. Coming from the South my perspective is perhaps a bit different. To me there is a stark socioeconomic strata here. There are some very poor people and some filthy rich people. I had never seen as many Bimmers and exotic cars until I moved here. As others have said there are a lot of yuppies here.

Food is very much a big deal here and just about any kind of cuisine can be found. Wine and microbrew is also big. Wine of course is made here and in comparison to other places its cheap. There are very liberal alcohol laws here: None of those weird "blue laws" that existed back east. Go into any pharmacy or grocery store and a full isle or two is filled with beer, wine, whiskey, and so on. You can get good Japanese food here. People like to talk about food a lot.

People are definitely more laid back than on the East Coast. But they aren't as laid back as Southerners. Despite the reputation there is an intense work ethic and people spend a load of time commuting and working. There are a few reasons for this. First of all the train and transportation system here is nothing compared to those in NYC or Boston. You can't just hop on a train on any street corner. So most people drive. Secondly, most of the jobs are concentrated in a select few areas like San Jose, San Francisco, and the Peninsula. Those area are prohibitively expensive thus many commute in from places like the East Bay and so on.

That brings up the biggest issue I and probably many others have: The cost of real estate. If you're ok renting that's one thing as rent is still relatively affordable. On the other hand houses are more like $500k-$800k depending on where you live. SF is going to be at the upper end of that spectrum. The East Bay will be on the lower end- and of that the 450k-500k is more like a starter home price. For me this is sort of a deal breaker and it won't be too many more years before we move for that reason. Its a subject people here obsess about: Buying a house. Doing so means a career that pays for it and that means more work which probably means longer commutes if you can't fork over the dough for a pricey place near the job centers. Thus its a cycle and the reason the work ethic is likely as it is described above.

All in all its a very special, unique, and lovely area. Its been fun living here and I've done well professionally. I've learned a lot about people, places, food, wine, and life in general.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,706,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
Problem with some office buildings, some floors require badge access and others don't. We had a thief who go onto to our badge access floor by "tailgating" someone in the elevator. He stole several laptops.

He was later caught, and apparently does this regularly at various office buildings in the area.

It was the policy at several past employers to NOT let just anybody in the elevator/building with us unless they have the right ID clearly displayed.
That makes sense generally, I have spent very limited time in these secure access places so these are just basic buildings with no security. No excuse. :P

Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,507,779 times
Quote:
Waiters and clerks in SF are unusually polite and friendly compared to people in other big cities.
Really? Ever been to the coffee shops and restaurants in Mission staffed by hipsters? Most of the time they look annoyed at the customers and give this weird hipper-than-thou attitude and seem to make judgment about what kind of demographic they should serve. The most extreme example of this is Tartine or Pizzeria Delfina. I like their food and but those jer*ks are never getting another cent from me because of their attitude. I should say that I never see this in a Taqueria where everyone works very hard and are always polite to customers.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:02 AM

11 posts, read 19,264 times
I've posted on this topic before. It's true that most city's tend to be cold. But SF is a bit more cold and isolating than I expected. You might find yourself in love hate relationship with the city. There is a lot to do and you won't be bored in that regard. But unfortunately the people don't make sf liveable. What's been stated above is true and although it's important not to summarily conclude that SF just has vain hippies, arrogant hipsters, rich yuppies or blatant racist it does have that. I'm not interested in preventing people from coming here but you would be better warned beforehand. If one subjective opinion is followed again and again with more subjective opinions that SF has a lot of angry hate filled people than maybe you should consider this.

You are welcome to come here though.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,436 times
As being somebody who was born and raised in SF, I will be glad to give you my perspective. First of all, after I turned 18 I moved to San Diego and also lived and worked in various places through the military in Monterey, Texas, Korea, Hawaii, Japan, Germany, and Nevada. I have also come across many people from all parts of the U.S. thoughout my time in the military.

I don't speak for all San Franciscans, but I believe the people are very friendly and easy to meet and talk too. Maybe it is because I'm a local and easily fit in. I think people from San Francisco are friendly to people from out of town, unless you come with a closed attitude. And that is natural because nobody likes it when somebody else tries starts criticizing your hometown. If you love it here, then the people will be super friendly. If you complain about the weather, crowded streets, and liberal attitudes, then good luck trying to make friends.

Deep down I am so proud of this city and what it stands for and represents. Out of all the cities I have been to, SF is the most beautiful. I believe it is the best example of the melting pot ideal in the world. Hardwork, academics, freedom, diversity, and peace are the strengths and values of this city. These are just my thoughts, and I know it sounds kinda unbelievable, but this is what I truly feel after seeing many other parts of the U.S. and the world.

There are many other things that I cherish including things that out of towners may find wierd like the one way streets, the jaywalkers, the double parking, the stupid 2 hour parking, the entertaining homeless, the laid back attitudes, the buses, worrying about the bum living in the dumpster when you throw food away, wall to wall housing, aggressive pigeons and seagulls eating your food, the various languages being spoken around you, and the rolling fog. All these things that people normally hate, is something I find pleasure in. Even my memories of getting jumped by bullies walking home from school is a pleasant memory for me. (this one is really wierd, but I always feel like it was a cool experience that people don't get to experience when they grow up in other states). And although we see poverty and violence, I still feel like people are naive and innocent compared to people from other towns.

And there are the things I enjoy that anybody would love like the food, Chinatown, Japantown, Colorful Gay People, Metreon, Ethnic Parades, North Beach, Sutro Baths, Lands Ends, Shopping Malls, public transportation, old school buildings, Musicals, Clubs and Bars of all types, Asian Art Museum, Legion of Honor, Market Street, the Bush Man, Pier 39, Fishermans Wharf, Palace of fine arts, Golden Gate Bridge, the Beaches, Lake Merced, TransAmerica Pyramid, downtown, Union Square, Richmond District, Irving Street, Noriega, Clement, Geary, O'Farrell, Haight, Golden Gate Park, twin peakes, interesting history, Academy of Sciences, De Young Museum, Civic center, Giants, 49ers, Warriors, Raiders, cheap Oakland A's baseball tickets, battle of the Bay matchups, Buffalos in the park, libraries, hippies, tennis courts, coffee shops, and much more.

There a few snobs and uptight yuppies who flash a rich life-style and don't want to be with you unless you are rich and have a good job. THere are a few neighborhoods where you will get jumped and have your car broken into. There are people who are insecure and will be racist or elitist. There are people who are stoned way out of their minds. THere are gays who will aggresively hit on you and are not afraid to approach you. There are dirty politicians who are wasting our tax dollars. There are crackheads roaming the streets at night downtown. There are pimps and prostitutes and crazy people you have to deal with. There are just dumb people. Yet somehow, I found my place among this city and I enjoy every minute I am here. I am inspired to live in San Francsico and I someday hope to come back and raise my children here.

Overall, this city has everything. Everything includes the good and bad, but mixed together in a very unique and special way. It's a way that you can't explain unless you live here and experience it yourself. It's doesnt mean you will not have hardships living here, but after being away for 8 years, I still and will always consider the city of San Francsico my true home.

Now if I only talked about my girl friend this way, then maybe I would have a better relationship with her. LOL. jk.

Last edited by snoopaloopx; 04-15-2011 at 02:31 AM..

Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 AM

203 posts, read 427,082 times
Snoop, excellent post. Thank you very much.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:37 AM

81 posts, read 170,024 times
Ditto what Snoopaloopx said. Except the getting jumped by bullies part.
Snoopaloopx that was great perspective on San Francisco! Hope you are able to get back someday soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland