Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 05:44 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
San Francisco has a French District.

Belden Place - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 02:58 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
Though I think Belden Place is more for the tourist than a rather small French Community.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:24 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Me too, but you'd never know. Unfortunately my grandparents were of the mindset to adapt and assimilate when they moved to the mainland (from Hawaii) rather than pass down anything interesting about our heritage besides taking our shoes off at the door. He spoke Cantonese in Chinatown, was very active and well known in the Chinese community in San Francisco but didn't want anyone else in the family to be a part of it! Weird, huh.
The population in Chinatown seems to be mainly Cantonese-speaking, but have you noticed the language/s on the Chinese TV channel in the Bay Area? It sounds like more than one is used, depending on the program. The news programs seem to be some in Cantonese, some in Taiwan Mandarin. And the canned historical series and historical fiction are in Mandarin, some from the PRC and some are a pirated Taiwan version of the PRC programs, which is funny.

It seems like the TV programming is trying to reach a diverse Chinese public. Can anyone here speak to that in more detail?

Old 02-10-2015, 04:56 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
Is the Cantonese language mostly from Hong Kong?

Old 02-10-2015, 05:46 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
The population in Chinatown seems to be mainly Cantonese-speaking, but have you noticed the language/s on the Chinese TV channel in the Bay Area? It sounds like more than one is used, depending on the program. The news programs seem to be some in Cantonese, some in Taiwan Mandarin. And the canned historical series and historical fiction are in Mandarin, some from the PRC and some are a pirated Taiwan version of the PRC programs, which is funny.

It seems like the TV programming is trying to reach a diverse Chinese public. Can anyone here speak to that in more detail?
Yes, Cantonese is the main language spoken in Chinatown. Historically, the immigrants were from Hong Kong and Southern China (Guangdong Province)---here to build the railroads and mine during the Gold Rush--mostly men.

Mandarin is considered the language of business. It's obviously become more prevalent as more immigrants from Beijing/Taiwan/Singapore come over. The languages are very different so I suppose there's a huge need now! From what understand, neither language can be understood by the other but written Chinese would be able to be read by both with some exceptions/additions.

I've been actually looking into learning Cantonese (my grandfather spoke it) but most classes now are in Mandarin. I might have to give up or get myself over to the Peninsula which is unfortunately too far for me.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:49 PM

722 posts, read 1,327,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Is the Cantonese language mostly from Hong Kong?
thats the main dialect spoken in HK, but Chinese from other parts of asia also use it mainly people from Guongdong province

Chinese from Vietnam often speak both Cantonese & Vietnamese and some that were born in Vietnam only speak Cantonese or other southern Chinese dialect

Ive heard some Chinese from Manila Philippines speaking Cantonese

some from Cambodia also use it, also lots of Chinese from Malaysia or Singapore still use it

pretty much any country with a Chinatown will have Cantonese speakers

Old 02-10-2015, 10:44 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
thats the main dialect spoken in HK, but Chinese from other parts of asia also use it mainly people from Guongdong province

Chinese from Vietnam often speak both Cantonese & Vietnamese and some that were born in Vietnam only speak Cantonese or other southern Chinese dialect

Ive heard some Chinese from Manila Philippines speaking Cantonese

some from Cambodia also use it, also lots of Chinese from Malaysia or Singapore still use it

pretty much any country with a Chinatown will have Cantonese speakers
Ethnic Chinese from different parts of Southeast Asia may hail from various dialect groups, not just Cantonese.

Vietnam - mostly Cantonese

Philippines - mostly Fujian (or Fookianese, as they call it there)

Thailand - Chiuchou

Malaysia - depends on the area; KL is mostly Cantonese, Penang, more Fujian/Hokkien

Singapore - mix of Hokkien (Fujian), Cantonese, Hakka, Chiuchou, etc.

NY Chinatown was traditionally Cantonese, now there are probably more Fujianese.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:13 AM

6 posts, read 12,970 times
Default Re: Bay Area ethnic communities

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Overseas TV programs (including from China Mainland's CCTV and Hongkong's TVB) are now widely available via Internet. Audience is ranging from China, HK, Taiwan and South East Asian countries like Malaysians, Singapore or Indonesia. Very diverse.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:42 AM

722 posts, read 1,327,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Yes, Cantonese is the main language spoken in Chinatown. Historically, the immigrants were from Hong Kong and Southern China (Guangdong Province)---here to build the railroads and mine during the Gold Rush--mostly men.

Mandarin is considered the language of business. It's obviously become more prevalent as more immigrants from Beijing/Taiwan/Singapore come over. The languages are very different so I suppose there's a huge need now! From what understand, neither language can be understood by the other but written Chinese would be able to be read by both with some exceptions/additions.

I've been actually looking into learning Cantonese (my grandfather spoke it) but most classes now are in Mandarin. I might have to give up or get myself over to the Peninsula which is unfortunately too far for me.
a large percentage of the Chinese that came to the US during the California Gold rush and to work building the Transcontinental Railroad came from the Toishan province, so they would have spoken the rural Toishan dialect as well

Old 02-11-2015, 10:13 AM

191 posts, read 311,377 times
Looking around S.F.'s Chinatown you can see a number of buildings, some with PRC flags flying from their roofs, others with ROC flags flying. What's the story?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland