Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:35 AM

543 posts, read 3,078,000 times

Advertisements

I don't know if there are Internet Cafes in SF that would let you sleep for the night, or even if there are, it's possible to sleep lying down instead of sleeping on the chair.

If you do couchsurfing you have to constantly worry about having to find the next couch, since most people only allow a few days for you to couchsurf.

Are there any rich people here on the forum who would be willing to build a super cheap lodging facility that provides the bare minimum sleeping space a la Japanese sleeping capsule, so that people can afford to sleep without paying for spaces that they don't intend to use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
Something I've always been interested in is business concepts that exist elsewhere, but not here (and vice versa). I've wondered myself about those Japanese sleeping capsules ever since I saw them on the news many years ago. I figured they would be perfect at rest areas and travel plazas. They certainly have urban use too, but it's very likely that regulation/ordnances would make it difficult to pull off and be profitable. Maybe if you tied the concept into portable shelters for the homeless you'd get a lot of support...and maybe funding from somewhere. I think there are definitely applications for them in the US.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:58 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
This guy again.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:15 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Those capsule hotels go for $40-50/night in Tokyo. You couldn't afford it anyway.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:40 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
I don't know if there are Internet Cafes in SF that would let you sleep for the night, or even if there are, it's possible to sleep lying down instead of sleeping on the chair.

If you do couchsurfing you have to constantly worry about having to find the next couch, since most people only allow a few days for you to couchsurf.

Are there any rich people here on the forum who would be willing to build a super cheap lodging facility that provides the bare minimum sleeping space a la Japanese sleeping capsule, so that people can afford to sleep without paying for spaces that they don't intend to use?
Why don't you get a job so you can afford to sleep in something bigger than a broom closet?

Old 04-21-2011, 04:24 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
This guy again.
A persistent one.

Maybe we can get more use out of all those mausoleum crypts at cemeteries and have people use those for overnight sleeping accomodations. Not like the dead people would know, right? No stopping the invisible hand of the free market.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:43 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
A persistent one.

Maybe we can get more use out of all those mausoleum crypts at cemeteries and have people use those for overnight sleeping accomodations. Not like the dead people would know, right? No stopping the invisible hand of the free market.
What -- and steal all the Tiffany leaded glass out of Millionaire's Row at Mountain View? No way!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:42 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:

In Japan, it works because people are respectful and don't mess up things that don't belong to them. In San Francisco it would be a health safety nightmare.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:20 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:

Yes, I'm just rolling in dough, and I routinely make large investment decisions based on anonymous internet posts. I'll drop everything and get right on that for you!

Old 04-22-2011, 01:14 PM

115 posts, read 327,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
In Japan, it works because people are respectful and don't mess up things that don't belong to them. In San Francisco it would be a health safety nightmare.

Can you imagine what a petri dish grossness they would turn into. I have often wished SFO had something like this but in reality, I do not think it would work.

Hey OP, why do you post the same question here, Hawaii, South Florida and San Diego? Seriously, why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland