U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2011, 09:36 AM
 
Location: lyon, france
23 posts, read 86,915 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbored View Post
You can also call it "SF"
true

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbored View Post
The only people who can call it Frisco are Hell's Angels.
a true and little known fact. turbored knows his stuff.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2011, 11:57 AM
rah
 
Location: Oakland
3,315 posts, read 8,511,630 times
Reputation: 2515
Quote:
Originally Posted by guignol View Post
true

a true and little known fact. turbored knows his stuff.
No, it is definitely not only Hell's Angels who say Frisco. Though yes, they obivously are fond of the word.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 08:06 AM
 
Location: lyon, france
23 posts, read 86,915 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
No, it is definitely not only Hell's Angels who say Frisco. Though yes, they obivously are fond of the word.
yes but only they are allowed to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 11:16 AM
rah
 
Location: Oakland
3,315 posts, read 8,511,630 times
Reputation: 2515
Quote:
Originally Posted by guignol View Post
yes but only they are allowed to.
By who? The "Frisco usage police"? Themselves? You?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
9,197 posts, read 14,986,576 times
Reputation: 6346
Oh cool! Another "bad" F-word is born! Let's tell the kids they're not allowed to say it and see what happens!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2011, 10:18 AM
 
Location: lyon, france
23 posts, read 86,915 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
By who? The "Frisco usage police"? Themselves? You?
that's by WHOM.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2011, 11:06 AM
rah
 
Location: Oakland
3,315 posts, read 8,511,630 times
Reputation: 2515
Quote:
Originally Posted by guignol View Post
that's by WHOM.
Did you forget about the "CAPS LOCK" button?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2011, 03:38 PM
 
Location: California
32,778 posts, read 36,295,014 times
Reputation: 28978
It might be a generational thing but my dad, who is in his 80's, sometimes calls it "frisco" and my kids who are 99% text based say "SF" out loud, like "LA". "The City" is popular and so is "San Francisco". I don't know anyone who gives a frack to be honest, and I worked there for 15 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2011, 11:09 PM
 
2,958 posts, read 5,924,109 times
Reputation: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It might be a generational thing but my dad, who is in his 80's, sometimes calls it "frisco" and my kids who are 99% text based say "SF" out loud, like "LA". "The City" is popular and so is "San Francisco". I don't know anyone who gives a frack to be honest, and I worked there for 15 years.
For the most part no one REALLY cares, its just that it becomes annoying when all of a sudden so many people keep calling it some wannabe hip name that no one who lives here actually calls it. I don't know of any other city that people do this to, but the only one that bothers me is "San Fran," and it didn't bother me until I started to hear SOOO MANY people from anywhere but here begin to call it that excessively. It just sounds lame, that's all. It doesn't actually raise my blood pressure or anything lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 12:59 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,539 posts, read 24,047,066 times
Reputation: 8833
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
For the most part no one REALLY cares, its just that it becomes annoying when all of a sudden so many people keep calling it some wannabe hip name that no one who lives here actually calls it. I don't know of any other city that people do this to, but the only one that bothers me is "San Fran," and it didn't bother me until I started to hear SOOO MANY people from anywhere but here begin to call it that excessively. It just sounds lame, that's all. It doesn't actually raise my blood pressure or anything lol.
"Big Apple" and the strange "Bean Town" are not uttered by New Yorkers and Bostonians respectively.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top