Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:51 AM

8 posts, read 11,850 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to SF next month, taking a job in SF south of market area and I'm looking for suggestions on where to rent!

My employer doesn't subsidize parking so I limited my choices to places where public transit can take me to DT within reasonable time. I am a single girl, 25, originally from Asia. My budget will be <$1100 for a studio/1br.

After browsing through the old threads on this forum, here are my thoughts...

- within SF - rents is high, parking is ridiculous. I almost eliminated this choice at this point

- Oakland - Rockridge, Alameda are good choices and rents are lower than bay area. biggest advantage to me is BART takes <30min to DT SF.

- Millbrae -nice neighborhood, BART/Caltrain takes about 50mins to DT. I am favoring Millbrae since I have a few friends living in Palo Alto so I can stay closer with them. But when I search for apartments online, it looks like there arent many apts for rent in this area? any ideas?

- San Mateo - a little bit too far (BART > 1 hour) for me but I've been to the city several times I liked it! so it's still in my consideration...

So far this is what I know... but I don't know what I don't know.. any comments/suggestions will be highly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 12:27 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,086,206 times
Where would you be working in South of Market? If you are near the ballpark by 4th and King, Caltrain would be super convenient. But if you're closer to Market and the BART stations, BART would be way better because Caltrain would mean a long walk.

$1100 for a studio is doable in SF but it's up to you if you want to deal with street parking. Check out Bernal Heights for an area that is pretty easy to park in. Other than that, most nice areas that aren't in the Sunset or Richmond are hard to park in.

Oakland is definitely a good bargain, I live in Rockridge and really like it. I have a studio for $850, it's small but in a really nice area. BART is 20 minutes to and from downtown SF but I have to walk about 15 minutes from my apartment to get to it. Only problem is there's not many apartments, and you'd probably have to park on the street but generally there's a lot of spaces in the street.

You could try the Piedmont Avenue area, it's cheaper than Rockridge, and there's more apartments, and they often have parking spaces included in rent. There isn't a BART station there, but from 40th and Piedmont it's supposed to be about a 10 minute walk to the Macarthur station, also you can take Transbay buses across the bridge which might be more convenient.

Alameda could work too, you can take transbay buses from there too, or if you got to the Fruitvale station you can take BART.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:03 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,913,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
You could try the Piedmont Avenue area, it's cheaper than Rockridge, and there's more apartments, and they often have parking spaces included in rent. There isn't a BART station there, but from 40th and Piedmont it's supposed to be about a 10 minute walk to the Macarthur station, also you can take Transbay buses across the bridge which might be more convenient.

Alameda could work too, you can take transbay buses from there too, or if you got to the Fruitvale station you can take BART.
Transbay Buses take between ~15-30 minutes from the Piedmont Ave area (the P takes less time than the C, CB buses which take around 25-30 minutes to get to the Avenue)

Transbay from Alameda takes about ~15-30 minutes as well, depending on where you live on the island.

Macarthur BART is about 5 blocks from 40th and Broadway (or 40th and Howe) and the BART ride is just less than 20 minutes. The C and CB stop near 40th and Broadway/Piedmont Ave.

I live on the other side of Piedmont Ave, on Harrison. The casual carpool is available on Monte Vista and Oakland, and there are P stops up and down Oakland and Harrison. You can also take the 11 or 57 to BART. (5-8 minut Bus rides) and the BART ride is 20 or less depending on if you go to Macarthur or 19th street. 19th and Macarthur have the most train choices to SF during commute hours, so it can be pretty frequent service (10 min or less).

I really like Alameda, but it isn't necessarily convenient to BART.

Piedmont Ave is great part of town. Lots of restaurants, bars and neighborhood amenities right on the street. It is also close to other great neighborhoods: Rockridge, Tescal, Uptown, Grand Lake. Lakeshore

Old 04-26-2011, 01:37 PM

Thanks so much mayorhagger!
I checked the map again my work place is actually not far from Embarcadero BART, about 10 mins walk.
How is the safety in Rockridge neighborhood? from the older posts I saw that ppl have concerns about crime rates in Oakland. since you are living there, how are you feeling about it so far, generally?
Thanks for your help!

Old 04-26-2011, 01:39 PM

Thank you for the very helpful information Jade! I will checkout the Piedmont ave area.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:49 PM

Anyone living in Millbrae/San Mateo and take BART/Train to SF? how is the commute everyday? and any information about renting in Millbrae? I saw very little housing/renting information online for Millbrae, so I am guessing it's not a typical neighborhood for apartments renting?

Any information/comments will be so much appreciated!

Old 04-26-2011, 01:58 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,086,206 times
Your office is 10 minutes south of Embarcadero? If you could give us a major intersection near your office (like 1st and Howard, etc) we could see if it would make sense to take Caltrain. Caltrain is really fast and pretty much always runs on time, but its 4th and King terminus station in SF is about a 20 minute walk from where most offices are around Market Street. If your office was pretty close to 4th and King, then Caltrain would be really convenient and you could live in a lot of different places on the Peninsula. Palo Alto to 4th and King is only 35 minutes if you take one of the Baby Bullet express trains.

And Rockridge is really safe, it's one of the wealthier and safer parts of Oakland. Compared to SF it's cheap but compared to other parts of Oakland it's kind of expensive. Break-ins are kind of common in Rockridge because it's near some high-crime areas but most homeowners seem to have alarm systems to try and prevent that. Piedmont Ave should be similarly safe. The Temescal has more crime than Rockridge but is still pretty low-key compared to the really bad parts of Oakland.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,913,403 times
If your office is South of Embarcadero, it is really convenient for the Transbay bus as well. They drop off around Fremont and Howard these days.

Safety isn't a problem around Grand Lake, Rockride, or Piedmont Ave as long as you uise basic common sense (walk on streets with lights etc). I walk home from Macarthur BART alone at night a few times a month (it is 1.25mi for me). I have other female friends without cars in the area who walk or take transit all over the place at night alone.

In Oakland, serious crime is generally very concentrated in a few areas and rarely spills over. Like most cities property crime is higher than in the burbs. Oakland gives you lots of urban benefits at a low cost. The media tends to overemphasis the bad things that happen in Oakland and neglect similar incidents elsewhere.

P.S. Oakland Chinatown is great. I know you said you are Asian, but you didn't specify. There are lots of Chinese and Korean markets in Oakland so you can get lots of stuff to remind you of home.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:46 PM

297 posts, read 767,385 times
Default Millbrae

I live in Millbrae, but do not commute into the city. If your job will be near Caltrain, that is the quicker way to get to the city, but Bart will work too, it just will take longer. Millbrae is a really nice little town and has a large Asian population. There are not too many apartments for rent as there just are not many apartments as its a small town, with more houses and condos then apartments. You may want to check apartment listings for Burlingame, some of the apartments on the Burlingame side of the Burlingame/Millbrae border are actually closer to the Bart/Caltrain station then the majority of apartments in Millbrae. If you can take Caltrain to work, then Burlingame and San Mateo are good choices too, the only area that you might want to avoid in San Mateo is anything east of the railroad tracks, its not that its dangerous, just not very nice.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:52 PM

Cooler, thanks so much for the helpful information

My office is kinda far from the Caltrain king & 4th (about 25 mins walk), so I guess BART will be my only commuting option if living in Millbrae area. I am now searching for studios in Burlingame, and also San Mateo (I'm thinking driving to millbrae BART and then BART...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland