Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 02:28 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnmx View Post
a brainwashed population.

-A Southern conservative Virginian
^ Ironic these two appearing so closely together...

Gotta love religion and imposed theocracy, yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 03:10 PM

326 posts, read 689,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
So by your argument, I'm sure you believe that we should leave the umbilical cord attached to children because it's mutilitation?!

You people are a joke. Seriously. If you want to ban circumcison in the city of San Francisco, then you better ban all other forms of so-called flesh mutilation such as ear piercing. Matter fact, why don't you support the end to abortion as well?! After all, it's more than mutilation of a child. It's the vile murder of them. They didn't have a "choice" if they could live. They were just killed. So ban that.
I think you're confused. Ear piercing is a choice.

And the abortion issue - which some may call murder - is in a completely different ballpark. I'm sorry you don't have the mental capacity to comprehend this. And for the record, I don't live in San Francisco, which I'm slowly starting to be thankful for partly due to the comments in this thread.

Last edited by hgnmx; 05-01-2011 at 03:33 PM..

Old 05-01-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
^ Ironic these two appearing so closely together...

Gotta love religion and imposed theocracy, yes?
Lol.. I'm an atheist. You know what they say about assumptions.

Last edited by hgnmx; 05-01-2011 at 03:28 PM..

Old 05-01-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
OK, folks, as I intended and Nita just articulated, this thread is not and was not supposed to be about the efficacy of circumcisn or lack thereof. At issue is governmental interference in family and adult freedon and responsibility issues of the most egregious kind.
What about the child's freedom of choice? Further, without government interference, we would not have societal necessities such as bridges and roads - so what's your point?

Old 05-01-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalistPotato View Post
Penises are different that dinner. Quite simply.
Exactly. I can understand cutting into your steak to eat, but a penis?

Old 05-01-2011, 03:57 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I resent any municipality making circumcision illegal. It does seem rather silly, since as others have already pointed out, the parents can simply go elsewhere outside of San Francisco to have it done, anyway. Parents make decisions for their children all the time, and ear piercings are often done to tiny babies who may not want pierced ears when they're older. No, I'm not trying to equate ear piercing with circumcision, except that it's a decision that the parent deliberately makes without any input from the baby or child.

My son is going to be 23 years old in July. Twenty-three years ago, we didn't even give it a thought. Yes, he was circumcised. If he were born now, I might make a different choice. I'd have to really give it some thought beyond the simplistic "I want him to look like other boys", or whatever. No matter what choice I'd make now, though, I don't have the right to tell other parents what to do in this situation, and the government doesn't either.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:02 PM

Why don't we just cut off their left thumb after birth while we're at it. Where do we draw the line? The child was born with foreskin. He should have foreskin - as he should have thumbs. In this case I feel we may have to agree to disagree, since I'm obviously in the minority here. Thankfully I have the choice to not do this to my child, even though it was done to me. Bless this country.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I resent any municipality making circumcision illegal. It does seem rather silly, since as others have already pointed out, the parents can simply go elsewhere outside of San Francisco to have it done, anyway. Parents make decisions for their children all the time, and ear piercings are often done to tiny babies who may not want pierced ears when they're older. No, I'm not trying to equate ear piercing with circumcision, except that it's a decision that the parent deliberately makes without any input from the baby or child.

My son is going to be 23 years old in July. Twenty-three years ago, we didn't even give it a thought. Yes, he was circumcised. If he were born now, I might make a different choice. I'd have to really give it some thought beyond the simplistic "I want him to look like other boys", or whatever. No matter what choice I'd make now, though, I don't have the right to tell other parents what to do in this situation, and the government doesn't either.
Apologies, one last thing: I'm a little disturbed that people continually deny the right of the child.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Apologies, one last thing: I'm a little disturbed that people continually deny the right of the child.
That must be horribly difficult to live with. But then again, where would you be without some social cause to lament?

Not to worry. Nanny government will heal all your ills. That way you don't have to lift a finger, or even think.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:22 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Why don't we just cut off their left thumb after birth while we're at it. Where do we draw the line? The child was born with foreskin. He should have foreskin - as he should have thumbs. In this case I feel we may have to agree to disagree, since I'm obviously in the minority here. Thankfully I have the choice to not do this to my child, even though it was done to me. Bless this country.
Again, children are also born with umbilical cords too. But yet we cut them anyway. Where do you draw the line?! Perhaps you shouldn't have been cut from your mother. But of course, that would be idiotic, considering the fact that you wouldn't have a life and your mother wouldn't have been able to do anything like use the bathroom or wear pants because she was still connected to you. But by your logic you still believe you should have had a choice in the matter to have your umbilical cord cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland