Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:41 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
I find it hard to believe that there are no black gangs in Oakland. Any source?

What's hard to believe about it? All the ones who tried to set up shop here got ran out of town when Felix Mitchell was around and have never been received with open arms here since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 11:12 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
All the ones who tried to set up shop here got ran out of town when Felix Mitchell was around and have never been received with open arms here since.
That guy's buddies still have influence there?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
That guy's buddies still have influence there?
HE still has an influence. He didn't like black gangs so nobody in Oakland by extension liked black gangs... Mexican gangs aren't challenged here because they have the drug connect and because blacks and Mexicans had mutual respect for each other when the Black Panther and United Farm Workers movements were going on at the same time. Same struggle, different color.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:24 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,879 times
Quote:
What's hard to believe about it? All the ones who tried to set up shop here got ran out of town when Felix Mitchell was around and have never been received with open arms here since.
Whatever. If you say so.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:47 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
i think there are black gangs in oakland but not affiliated with the crips and bloods.more like mom and pop cliques as opposed to franchises of the crips and bloods.the hispanic gangs do seem to carry allegiences to the surenos or nortenos.(at least from what i have read about the fruitvale gang injunction)
i don't think it's possible to be a drug dealer without some orginization to control territory and provide protection.i don't have any personal knowledge of this just my opinion.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:32 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Its not denial, its clarifying. The shootings aren't gang related. You aren't out looking for people on the other side of town to kill just because they're from the other side of town. 99.9% of the people who get killed in Oakland knew their killer personally or at least more than in passing... in LA, the point of gang initiation is to pick a completely random target to prove that you'll kill or injure anybody at any time for the gang.

And its not about territory in the same way that it is in LA. In LA, the gangs are actively expanding their borders and trying to gain new turf. The neighborhood stuff in Oakland stays in their neighborhood... the point is to rep your neighborhood, not your neighborhood and the next man's.
You're half way there flava. I've lived in Oakland and in San Diego when I was at the age when I needed to know about the gangs to stay safe.

SoCal type blood and crip gangs do claim neighborhoods as well. They're frequently named for their hood; Lincoln Park (bloods), Linda Vista Crips are just two example of this. The black gangs in Oakland function in a way more similar to the Mexicans gangs in SD in the sense that it's all about the neighborhood. However the SoCal black gangs claim neighborhoods as well and at least in SD have quite clearly defined borders.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:34 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
I remember all that

Old 04-29-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You're half way there flava. I've lived in Oakland and in San Diego when I was at the age when I needed to know about the gangs to stay safe.

SoCal type blood and crip gangs do claim neighborhoods as well. They're frequently named for their hood; Lincoln Park (bloods), Linda Vista Crips are just two example of this. The black gangs in Oakland function in a way more similar to the Mexicans gangs in SD in the sense that it's all about the neighborhood. However the SoCal black gangs claim neighborhoods as well and at least in SD have quite clearly defined borders.

Yeah they do claim neighborhoods but they answer to higher-ups in Los Angeles. There's no hierarchy in Oakland...

Old 04-30-2011, 09:04 PM

162 posts, read 602,094 times
So unlike Los Angeles, can black people walk around wearing any color in Oakland without someone else thinking they're a member of a gang?

Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLOJ View Post
So unlike Los Angeles, can black people walk around wearing any color in Oakland without someone else thinking they're a member of a gang?
Yes, absolutely.

I grew up in Oakland during the time when Oaklanders were the majority of the population and attending K-12 in the Oakland schools from 1979-1992 surrounded by mainly Blacks and Asians, I can say that gangs affiliated with colors were a non-issue. We never had anything of that sort in my high school. At all.

The only time we ever became aware of that was from SoCal rap and the movies.

Now, there were some kids involved in illegal-drug operations that would probably qualify as a gang but it was never about anything but getting money.

Since then, Oakland's proportion of Blacks has shrank drastically as thousands of middle class Black families have moved to cheaper and lower crime suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland