Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:58 PM

203 posts, read 427,687 times

Advertisements

Just got back from my trip and never realized how many homeless people there are in the city not to mention how aggressive they are. Coming from Manhattan, I really couldn't understand why it's so present. Obviously the consistancy of the weather is ideal for these folks but when it's so apparent and saturated even in the touristy areas (Market St), I really couldn't get it.

Other than that, I found it a little difficult to jump from one neighborhood to another. Used the BART and the bus systems and found it tedious and time-consuming.

But...it's still one of my favorite cities and I hope to visit again soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 08:42 PM

114 posts, read 121,488 times
The neighborhoods, the car culture, the Hells Angels, Sunset District, all the parks, the food, all the churches, the women, muni, bart,

Old 06-04-2011, 11:36 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,806,792 times
The Family acid.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:10 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,513,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmod View Post
SF (and the bay area in general) is also amazing for ethnic food, especially South Asian food. I love spicy Pakistani and Afghan food. I haven't found anything in the rest of the country that remotely matches up to Pakwan, Shalimar and Lahore Karahi.
Strongly disagree! The South Asian food scene in SF is horrible... Indian/Pakistani food is good only in parts of south bay and terrible everywhere else in bay area. Also, Mexican food in SF pathetic!

Frankly SF is full of overpriced yuppies restaurants and seriously lacks in authentic ethnic restaurants except for Chinese and Thai. South bay has way more diversity.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:07 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,315,133 times
Default What I like most about San Francisco...

What I like most about San Fransisco, is that the version of it I conjur up in my mind, that probablly doesn't exist in real life...

And that kind of makes it all the more special to me...
Kind of like the guy or gal, you develop a crush for, but never actually date, cause if you
did, ya just might be a bit disappointed...so instead, you go on believing the best about that person or place...to kind of suit your own needs...never getting to close to find out or to have your dreams shattered...

I've been there before...several times, and was delighted with what I saw and experienced...
But again, if San Francisco was a 'date' it would of been more like holding hands for an evening or day, versus getting under the sheets...I flirted lightly with the city, and it flirted lightly back, and therefore my fairytale dreams of what it's like were never really prooved or disprooved...and that's kind of just the way I like it...

It's one of the last fairytale cities I still have to dream about, to ponder about...one of the few cities that still get's me excited whenever I think about visiting again...if ever.

And to me that's precious, seeing that I've had just about everying else I held dear as youth, crushed by reality.

Sometimes, just sometimes, reality is not welcome...

And I instead prefer the version in my mind...
The version that tells me I can go there and at a whim, fit into a variety of communities...
The version that tells me there's lot's of wonderful places to eat, both foriegn and domestic and ethnic, and that all of those places would recieve you with joy...

The version where every night the moon shines off of the bay waters, and you see couples, of all varieties, down by the peer, laughing and enjoying the evening...

The version where in a 10 block span you can walk past and experience just about every type of club, style, fad, person imaginable under the sun, all content, all laughing, and all having fun.

And yes, even the version where gay people, cross-dressers, and all versions of, walk the streets free of haracement and fear, and as a result, themselves are very open and warm...an enviornment that allows them to be such...

A China Town that is open, vibrant and friendly, where old and young couples alike, go to wine and dine in the evening hours...and dizzy tourist also...what would San Francisco be without dizzy tourist...

flashing their cameras at everything that moves...

Romantic nights, a romantic breeze that just sweeps through the streets and stirs the soul...

Ah yes...that's my San Francisco...but sadly...it's one that for the most part only exists in my head..accept for a lucky few who could actually shape such an experience through their own charm and ambiance.
In the meantime...I'm just content dreaming on about the city I so love...the city of dreams...

Old 06-17-2011, 10:07 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,889,776 times
The balance between urban life, history and architecture, culture and the outdoors.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:40 AM

3,444 posts, read 5,230,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Strongly disagree! The South Asian food scene in SF is horrible... Indian/Pakistani food is good only in parts of south bay and terrible everywhere else in bay area. Also, Mexican food in SF pathetic!

Frankly SF is full of overpriced yuppies restaurants and seriously lacks in authentic ethnic restaurants except for Chinese and Thai. South bay has way more diversity.
Totally agree with this. That being said, I love overpriced yuppie restaurants, IF they're good. Many are mediocre these days. The pinnacle of SF dining was about 15 years ago when I was in college.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:38 PM

675 posts, read 1,187,647 times
Wait, is this thread about what people love about San Francisco ? Or what they hate ?

Me personally, I love San Francisco's beauty, weather, love walking around the city. Love the cable cars, love the water, love it's closeness to Napa and Sausalito. Just love everything about San Francisco. Even though I'm a native New Yorker, and moved back to NY after living in the Bay Area for 7 years (personal reasons, I prefer SF) I feel most at home in San Francisco.

People certainly have a love/hate relationship with San Francisco. Those who love it, can appreciate what it has to offer, those who hate it, can never be convinced to love it, or even like it. To each their own, but San Francisco is my favorite city in the States.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:43 PM

425 posts, read 956,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah, forgot the green stuff... Which you can basically just smoke walking down the street here.
While I live in NYC (Brooklyn to be percise) and have not smoked in many years, it is true, Mayor Bloomberg will send his secret army of robots to your current location if you so much as strike a match...some buildings are now smoker free, beaches smoke free, sidewalks outside certain buildings are smoke free...I guess that leaves the bike lane for you stand in and smoke...but those bikers will not be pleased, but that's a whole other conversation....

SF or the East Bay Area over NYC.

The ship is sinking here fast.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:19 AM

858 posts, read 2,232,649 times
Beautiful Landscapes
Bike culture
Food culture
Diversity, relatively
Eco-friendly
Fresh air everyday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland