Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 03:15 PM

97 posts, read 185,175 times

Advertisements

I am on the cusp of receiving an offer that I will likely accept at a large multinational there. SFO has always been on our list of possible places to move but we have no sense of what to expect when we get there.

1. How about city neighborhoods? We have three boys, ages 4 and under, so schools--public or private--are critical, as are a vibrant restaurant scene and local shopping options. For the sake of argument, let's pretend that price isn't an issue.

2. We like city living here in Manhattan, but are also open to smaller communities in the Bay Area (keeping in mind point 2, below).

3. Commuting to San Ramon from SFO? Do-able?

4. How feasible to keep a car in the city?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 03:45 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
That's a do-able commute, but has the potential to regularly become a "shoot yourself in the head" commute. Best case is about an hour each way, but at rush hour it could easily double.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:02 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
SF would be a pain in the ass to get over the bridge and then deal with traffic in the East Bay. San Ramon is set in a really obnoxious geographic location behind hills that force you to go south through Pleasanton then drive north again.

If you don't mind suburban then I'd look at Pleasanton or the Walnut Creek areas, or Danville or San Ramon itself. Basically it's up to you if you want to save money on real estate and live in the burbs and have a short commute, or pay more for a smaller place in SF or the nice parts of Oakland and deal with a really crushing and expensive commute. If you're in the burbs you get good public schools, and you're 45 minutes to an hour away from SF if you want to go hang out there on the weekend.

Also SF is SF, and the area outside of SF is called the Bay Area. It's not like LA where everything in the area is often called LA, I think it's because city/town boundaries here are clearer than in LA where it's a lot of different little cities that blend together along with LA itself.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water 4 the Pool View Post
I am on the cusp of receiving an offer that I will likely accept at a large multinational there. SFO has always been on our list of possible places to move but we have no sense of what to expect when we get there.

1. How about city neighborhoods? We have three boys, ages 4 and under, so schools--public or private--are critical, as are a vibrant restaurant scene and local shopping options. For the sake of argument, let's pretend that price isn't an issue.

2. We like city living here in Manhattan, but are also open to smaller communities in the Bay Area (keeping in mind point 2, below).

3. Commuting to San Ramon from SFO? Do-able?

4. How feasible to keep a car in the city?

Thanks!
San Ramon is pretty much in one of the most annoying locations in the Bay (in terms of connectivity to other cities, outside of the San Ramon Valley). Your best bet would be to live in Walnut Creek. That is suburban, but they have some good restaurants and vibrant shopping district in Downtown Walnut Creek. It would take about 15 min to get to San Ramon most times of the day. And you could take BART into SF in about 40 min. Berkeley and Oakland are about 15-20 minutes away (depending on traffic or transit choice)

I'd recommend Alameda, but it is a pain to get to San Ramon from there.

Commuting to SR from SF would be really annoying. You'd either have to take the Caldecott (lots of traffic) or drive 580 to Dublin, then north to 680 for 3-5 miles.

I don't know how the reverse commute is over the Bay Bridge, but from Oakland via 580 it would take 30 minutes virtually any time of day. There isn't much AM traffic headed east on 580, you might run into some traffic for the last 3-4 miles, but you could take the city streets of Dublin or Castro Valley if it is too crowded. The way home would take longer in the PM, sometimes there is traffic over the "Dublin grade."

Old 05-03-2011, 05:28 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Quote:
How feasible to keep a car in the city?
It's feasible but difficult. You may be charged extra to park your car off the street at the place you live at. Street parking is difficult and you may end up parking a block or two from where you live. Street parking overnight is not recommended - possiblity of damage or break-in.

Schools in SF leave a little to be desired. The public schools use a lottery and your child may be bused across town to a neighborhood you may not like.

BART is a commute option. BART - Station List

All in all, I recommend living in San Ramon, Dublin, Danville or Pleasanton. It's all nice semi up-scale suburbia and you can visit SF in your off time. The weather is also warmer (too much wind and fog in SF!)

Old 05-03-2011, 09:47 PM

177 posts, read 398,880 times
Isn't SFO the airport?

Old 05-04-2011, 12:42 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Yes but people sometimes say SFO for SF, which doesn't make any sense considering it's an extra letter.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:59 AM

140 posts, read 436,501 times
Default We've tried SF schools twice now - gave up!

We like Walnut Creek & Danville nearby.

I can't recommend SF schools. The concentration of the public schools are spending most of their attention on English as a 2nd language, drug and violence prevention programs. It's not the school system's fault, but the nature of SF, lots of new immigrants, and the low tax base leaves little for improving the schools. They do however, have some great language immersion programs.

Ok, you've been offered job in San Ramon...OMG - Greatschools ranks 10!!!!
See link: San Ramon Schools - San Ramon California School Ratings - Public and Private
But we think Walnut Creek & Danville are nicer, or Orinda is a favorite too, and are nearby.

You would be lucky to get your kids a school assignment in SF with a ranking of 2! Don't do it to your kids! We tried for years and only have horror stories. My advice is get nice home in east bay near good schools, near job. Then stay at a place like Wyndham Canterberry in SF from time to time. They sell points and are a timeshare system, but could try renting, and have suites for families - 2 bedroom units, etc. There's also Fairmont Heritage Place where can rent nice family 3BR, so I would just rent as needed when come into the city.

The commute would be LONG from SF to San Ramon, and possibly painful.

We are like you - love city culture, music, art, museums, etc, but kids must come first. We ended up getting home in Pacifica south of SF, has all great schools. I spent tons of time researching, and SF just would not work after years of trying.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:04 PM

177 posts, read 398,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Yes but people sometimes say SFO for SF, which doesn't make any sense considering it's an extra letter.
Cool, can I say I am from SDO?

Old 05-04-2011, 08:51 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
As others have suggested Walnut Creek might be a good alternative. It has a very large and active downtown. Also with 2 BART stations it has relatively easy, car free access into SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland