Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 04:38 PM

478 posts, read 809,565 times

Advertisements

I graduate from college this Thursday, and have decided that I'm going to treat myself to a trip to California for a few days post-graduation (I have from Sunday-Thursday next week off from work to travel).

I've never been there before and don't know anyone in the city, but from what I've heard San Francisco sounds like the place to visit.

I have a few questions for locals:

Where would you suggest staying that's pretty cheap? I'm not particularly worried about staying somewhere with some crime. Pretty much the only thing that's important is a roof over my head and some public transportation nearby.

What are some highlight events going on or places that I should check out? Some of the things that I'd particularly like to see are some nice coastline, colorful or eclectic nightlife, and some arty/cultural things. Also really unusual or interesting food would be fun. Honestly, I'm open to just about anything that offers a unique experience that would be hard to find elsewhere.

How long would a day trip to Mt. Shasta take? Google maps says its 4 hours one way, but I don't know if that reflects weather/traffic etc. I would really like to see Mt. Shasta, but am not sure how it would work as a day trip. If not Shasta, can you suggest any other big mountains that might be closer? A friend of mine suggested Mt. Tamalpais, but that's not nearly as big.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 07:30 PM

722 posts, read 1,328,590 times
the Royal Pacific Motor Inn is a good location and not expensive

661 Broadway, San Francisco, CA 94133

Last edited by green papaya; 05-17-2011 at 07:41 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 10:57 PM

15 posts, read 31,172 times
I've also heard good things about the Hostel at Fort Mason -- beautiful location overlooking the bay & Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, Crissy Field -- scenic stuff. Lots of locals hang out at Crissy Field -- an outdoor greenspace running along the north side of the city near the GG Bridge. Good for running, biking, etc. Also on the north side of town you're close to North Beach (great old Italian neighborhood -- lots of cafes, restaurants), sights like Coit Tower & Fisherman's Wharf & Lombard Street (crookedest street in the world) and Chinatown.

For food you need to check out the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero -- artisan food from local producers in a great old pre-1906-earthquake building. The food hall has become a big tourist draw here. There are some restaurants & takeout there too.

The Mission is another interesting neighborhood -- eclectic and a little gritty, depending on what street you're on and the time of day. Dolores Park there is a great & usually sunny outdoor space.

And of course there's Golden Gate Park; the east end at Haight/Ashbury is the liveliest part in terms of human dynamics.

If I think of more (when I have a little more time) I"ll write again.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:00 PM

297 posts, read 766,776 times
Default mountains

In regards to driving to Mt. Shasta, 4 hours is possible, but only if you get lucky with traffic. I drive to Oregon 1-2 times a year, so I've driven passed it many times. Traffic in the bay area can vary dramatically, so that 4 hours could be closer to 6 hours on a bad day.

As a substitute, I would suggest Mt. Diablo, its close to SF and the views from the top are amazing when its clear, however unlike Mt. Shasta there will be no snow on it.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 PM

15 posts, read 31,172 times
I concur about how long it would take to drive to Mt. Shasta. It can be slow if you hit traffic, bad weather, etc. Could easily take 6 hrs.

For coastal views I forgot to say that you might want to make a loop driving to & from Santa Cruz. Up and back would take you maybe 4 hours, without counting stops. Santa Cruz is an interesting town and you could go on the 100-yr-old "Giant Dipper" (wooden roller coaster) at the Beach/Boardwalk. Driving down Highway 1 to Santa Cruz is very pretty and takes you through/near some old towns (like Pescadero, Half Moon Bay, Davenport). You can also get to or from Santa Cruz via freeway if you want to save some time ... if you do that, taking Highway 1 north to SF presents greater views of the coastline than doing it the other way around.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I suggest visiting the Cable Car Museum (San Francisco Cable Car Museum) which is unique to San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland