Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

What a shock! No one in the UC Berkeley actually shops in Berkeley. Once the Gap and Express closed, there really weren't many options in my book. No where to buy toilet paper outside of the drugstore. Limited grocery options. The area around the Cal campus is a retail dead zone.

Commenters said they would shop in Berkeley if it was cleaner and they felt safer. Some things never change.

Many UC Students Don't Shop For Clothes, Get Their Hair Cut or Buy Sundries in Berkeley - The Bay Citizen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 08:13 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What a shock! No one in the UC Berkeley actually shops in Berkeley. Once the Gap and Express closed, there really weren't many options in my book. No where to buy toilet paper outside of the drugstore. Limited grocery options. The area around the Cal campus is a retail dead zone.

Commenters said they would shop in Berkeley if it was cleaner and they felt safer. Some things never change.

Many UC Students Don't Shop For Clothes, Get Their Hair Cut or Buy Sundries in Berkeley - The Bay Citizen
There are grocery stores. Perhaps not right next to Campus but somewhat nearby. The Safeway on Shattuck and Rose st. isn't that far away.

It's true that little else remains in that area outside of the many mom and pop establishments.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:26 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
When I was there I usually shopped at the Lucky's on the North Side even though I lived on College Ave. It was usually cheaper than Park and Shop. Used to go to the Co-op too but the quality was sometimes questionable. When you're a poor student you go wherever you can get the best deals. We used to just buy books and ice cream close to campus and not much else. There were some decent Cal apparel stores though where I'd sometimes splurge for a tee shirt. Rents are high and students don't have a lot of cash so no mystery why it's a tough place to do business.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:49 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,162,376 times
Commie places rarely are independently functional economies...ask ussr or china...or boston..or wash dc...or sf...survival depends upon being a parasite of the more economically productive, job creative taxpayer...or profligate us consumer

Top Berkeley engineering grads tend to also leave east bay for sv for employment upon graduation...why are so few high income tech jobs in east bay???? Why has near zero tech wealth been created in east bay????

And many yuppies who reside in sf would rather drive the 35mins down to Stanford/menlo to find semi-civilized grocery stores, errands, etc that can't be accomplished online or in sf.....and besides, most actually are employed in sv not commie sf....

Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Commie places rarely are independently functional economies...ask ussr or china...or boston..or wash dc...or sf...survival depends upon being a parasite of the more economically productive, job creative taxpayer...or profligate us consumer

Top Berkeley engineering grads tend to also leave east bay for sv for employment upon graduation...why are so few high income tech jobs in east bay???? Why has near zero tech wealth been created in east bay????

And many yuppies who reside in sf would rather drive the 35mins down to Stanford/menlo to find semi-civilized grocery stores, errands, etc that can't be accomplished online or in sf.....and besides, most actually are employed in sv not commie sf....
And this is why homes in Berkeley are so cheap.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:23 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:

This absurdly moronic post exemplifies the sheer ignorance many people on the Peninsula/South Bay and SF have about the East Bay. Not most people there btw-just the really provincial boobs.

And its really funny cause last Thursday evening I attended an advanced high school honor band recital in the South Bay(one of these very brilliant towns that hsw et al fawns over) expecting it to be like the ones in Oakland where parents are dressed to the nines, kids get flowers and pics are taken. Like that.

In this case, I felt like I was at a rehearsal. I thought to myself, If I see another North Face fleece sweatshirt hoodie thingy with hiking boots, I am going to puke. Everyone looked so underwhelming, like they didnt even bother to comb their hair. I walked in with my sister and we felt totally overdressed.

And I hate to say it, but even the music itself was subpar compared to the school bands my nephews in the 510 play in.

Last night I attended an almost gala-like event for one of my nephews whose El Cerrito school band played with Tower of Power-for heavenssakes.

It was a worlds classier than what I experienced last thursday.

Anyway, I bring that up this totally superficial and vapid experience because for all the snobbery hurled at us by our neighbors, I was expecting more from people who supposedly have the best and do the best-especially for their kids.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:52 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Anyway, I bring that up this totally superficial and vapid experience because for all the snobbery hurled at us by our neighbors, I was expecting more from people who supposedly have the best and do the best-especially for their kids.
How dare you question our tech support overlords! They are too busy creating buggy software to bother making themselves look good for you mere mortals!

Old 06-01-2011, 10:57 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
How dare you question our tech support overlords! They are too busy creating buggy software to bother making themselves look good for you mere mortals!

LOL

Old 06-01-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:

This post is idiotic! The east bay's economy developed much earlier than that of the south bay and most of the peninsula's. It developed at a time when manufacturing was bigger which is a big reason why the port of Oakland is, I believe second largest on the west coast after Long Beach. See the materials and supplies your precious Silicon Valley needs most likely came in through the east bay.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This absurdly moronic post exemplifies the sheer ignorance many people on the Peninsula/South Bay and SF have about the East Bay. Not most people there btw-just the really provincial boobs.

And its really funny cause last Thursday evening I attended an advanced high school honor band recital in the South Bay(one of these very brilliant towns that hsw et al fawns over) expecting it to be like the ones in Oakland where parents are dressed to the nines, kids get flowers and pics are taken. Like that.

In this case, I felt like I was at a rehearsal. I thought to myself, If I see another North Face fleece sweatshirt hoodie thingy with hiking boots, I am going to puke. Everyone looked so underwhelming, like they didnt even bother to comb their hair. I walked in with my sister and we felt totally overdressed.

And I hate to say it, but even the music itself was subpar compared to the school bands my nephews in the 510 play in.

Last night I attended an almost gala-like event for one of my nephews whose El Cerrito school band played with Tower of Power-for heavenssakes.

It was a worlds classier than what I experienced last thursday.

haha yep, most musical acts from the Bay Area have come out of the east bay. Little wonder huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland