Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,913,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfieldlover View Post
I am a native New York. Born and raised. Now living in SF.

The difference between NY people and SF people is that NY people are brave, strong, and tough and SF people are soft.

Also, SF diversity means 98% Asian, whites, and gays. NY has people from all 195 countries of the world.

NYC is a superior city in every way imaginable. The police are better, the firemen are better, the opportunity is better, and every thing is better in NYC than SF.
I completely disagree with everything you said.

I met lots of people in San Francisco that are brave, strong, tough, and soft at the same time just like meeting lots of people in New York like that.

San Francisco is still a very diverse place.
It is about 30% Asian instead of being 98% asian. There are lots of whites, asians, hispanics, and blacks. I am sure San Francisco also has people represented from all 195 countries in the world just like New York City.

Both cities are great places. I would never say one place is superior over the other.

I think most people would also disagree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 01:15 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,087 times
Quote:

The difference between NY people and SF people is that NY people are brave, strong, and tough and SF people are soft.
By strong and tough you really mean more unsophisticated, rude, poorly educated and obnoxious type?

Old 06-11-2011, 08:53 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,889 times
Quote:

Also, SF diversity means 98% Asian, whites, and gays. NY has people from all 195 countries of the world.

NYC is a superior city in every way imaginable. The police are better, the firemen are better, the opportunity is better, and every thing is better in NYC than SF.
Looks like we have another delusional transplant here.

First off there are brave, tough, and soft people everywhere, including SF, and including New York (i could even go the simple-minded route like you and say that because SF has a significantly higher crime rate than NYC, that it's actually "tougher" than NYC...at least i have real numbers to back such a ridiculous claim, unlike you).

Second, SF is 41% white, 33% Asian, 15% Latino, and 7% black. It is also around 15% gay (compared to 12-13% for Atlanta and Seattle, which come in and #2 and #3 for gay percentages...NYC obviously has the most gay people of any US city in total numbers though). Nope, none of that adds up to equal 98% white, asian, and gay, sorry (either you don't actually live here, or you've done a very good job isolating yourself to heavily white, asian and gay parts of the city). As for the SF Bay Area as a whole, it's more latino, less asian, and more or less the same in terms of white and black population as SF itself, and is actually more racially diverse than the NYC metro.

Police better? Maybe, i dunno. Both the SFPD and NYPD have good and bad sides.

Firemen "better"? I doubt it. SF is regarded as having one of the best fire departments in the country...as is NYC. It's especially lame for you say that now though, because two SF firefighters died just last week. You should be showing the SFFD respect, not giving them hate.

I'm curious. Do you have NYC sheets, and wallpaper? Pants that say "NYC"? And do your socks also say "NYC"? What about your car? Tons of "I heart New York" bumper stickers i bet. Here, this will make you happy: NYC! NYC! #1! #1! Best in the universe, everyone else is gay and soft and boring if they're not from NYC!!!! Am i doing that right?

Old 06-11-2011, 09:30 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Looks like we have another delusional transplant here.

First off there are brave, tough, and soft people everywhere, including SF, and including New York (i could even go the simple-minded route like you and say that because SF has a significantly higher crime rate than NYC, that it's actually "tougher" than NYC...at least i have real numbers to back such a ridiculous claim, unlike you).

Second, SF is 41% white, 33% Asian, 15% Latino, and 7% black. It is also around 15% gay (compared to 12-13% for Atlanta and Seattle, which come in and #2 and #3 for gay percentages...NYC obviously has the most gay people of any US city in total numbers though). Nope, none of that adds up to equal 98% white, asian, and gay, sorry (either you don't actually live here, or you've done a very good job isolating yourself to heavily white, asian and gay parts of the city). As for the SF Bay Area as a whole, it's more latino, less asian, and more or less the same in terms of white and black population as SF itself, and is actually more racially diverse than the NYC metro.

Police better? Maybe, i dunno. Both the SFPD and NYPD have good and bad sides.

Firemen "better"? I doubt it. SF is regarded as having one of the best fire departments in the country...as is NYC. It's especially lame for you say that now though, because two SF firefighters died just last week. You should be showing the SFFD respect, not giving them hate.

I'm curious. Do you have NYC sheets, and wallpaper? Pants that say "NYC"? And do your socks also say "NYC"? What about your car? Tons of "I heart New York" bumper stickers i bet. Here, this will make you happy: NYC! NYC! #1! #1! Best in the universe, everyone else is gay and soft and boring if they're not from NYC!!!! Am i doing that right?

LOL, I love this post. Lots of NYC people are delusional (and I am born and raised here in NYC so I can personally vouch for that) and have been brainwashed into believing the hype.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:35 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I completely disagree with everything you said.

I met lots of people in San Francisco that are brave, strong, tough, and soft at the same time just like meeting lots of people in New York like that.

San Francisco is still a very diverse place.
It is about 30% Asian instead of being 98% asian. There are lots of whites, asians, hispanics, and blacks. I am sure San Francisco also has people represented from all 195 countries in the world just like New York City.

Both cities are great places. I would never say one place is superior over the other.

I think most people would also disagree with you.
He didn't say it was 98% asian ,he said it was 98% whites, asians and gays taken together.

Though that was definitely an exaggerated figure, its true that New York is much more broad in terms of diversity than SF. For example blacks are only 7% of the population of SF and most of them are poor. SF is a very segregated city. NY has a good cross-section of blacks and other ethnicities from all economic backgrounds.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:21 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,075,505 times
SF is not fully of pushy New Yawkers so I prefer it...

Old 06-11-2011, 06:47 PM

44 posts, read 251,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
...and is actually more racially diverse than the NYC metro.
I stopped reading here.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:22 PM

11 posts, read 19,298 times
more like more racially segregated than the nyc meto.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:06 AM

11 posts, read 19,298 times
To answer your question I'm still adjusting after 1.5 years here. I may keep a home base here for the amenities the city provides. I'm currently seeking opportunities abroad so having a US city home base would be nice.

I'm a brown native NY'er who doesn't fit in with the twitchy, flaky, delusional & hypocritical so called 'liberals' in San Francisco. They might not want me around but certainly love organics and composting. It's an environment set up to welcome some more than others. If this favors you then I guess you can find a home here. Overall though excluding the above the people aren't very nice. As a newcomer you might find yourself walking on egg shells.

As for going back to NY I don't know. Do I miss it? Hell yes. New York is number #1. Everybody knows that and a bunch of insecure, whining, softies aren't going to change that. Nonetheless I might not be able to live in the best city in the world again. I'm currently leaning towards a calmer genuinely nicer environment. Maybe abroad.

I donated my microwave to the household so every one can share and my native SF roommate puts cat food in it. I've told her to stop. But the passive-aggressive hippie still does it. That's San Francisco.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:00 AM

44 posts, read 251,209 times
SF is almost 75% Chinese and White. That is not diversity to me. This place is NOT racially mixed. You say it is racially mixed because you are not talking amongst strong willed New Yorkers who understand what diversity is all about, who breathe diversity every day.

Where the hell are the Trinidad restaurants? Where are the Jamaican, Haitian, and Dominican places to eat? A couple of latin restaurants in Mission doesn't cut it. Diversity here means a million Asian restaurants. New York has a mix of all people, from all places, in an even distribution and not segregated.

The people that are from NYC come to SF and see a city that is not on their level, not on their plane. This is a second class city thats claim to fame is that it is "European influenced" and "gay capital" with a sprinkling of "oh this city has great weather." When was the last time you hear New York is an influence of a style or other city? New York is not European influenced, it has its OWN influence.

In the end, both city are great places but New York is the superior city, the better people, the better atmosphere, the better soul, and the better influence in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland