Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 11:42 AM

337 posts, read 733,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRME312 View Post
Hello everyone,

Realize that this is a pretty old thread, but didn't want to start a new one. My girlfriend and I, both mid-late twenties, are looking at a property at 51st and Miles in the Shafter neighborhood. The area looks nice from Google Maps, but would love to hear some additional inside information.

For what it's worth, I lived in Wicker Park in Chicago from 2009 to 2014, on Ashland Avenue...so on the chance that anyone reading this is familiar with that and the Oakland area, that should give you a perspective of the area I'm used to / comfortable with.
The Shafter neighborhood is nice and it's pretty much all residential. The neighborhood itself is in between the Rockridge and Temescal districts. Rockridge is upscale, Temescal is more gritty. The location you named is pretty much in the Temescal district.

I have been to Wicker Park - it's similar to Temescal. Both are known for being "hipstery" and are gentrifying fast. Wicker Park is much further along in the gentrification stage and feels denser and "hipper" than Temescal. However, I was also surprised at how gritty Wicker Park is in certain spots (like some stretches of Milwaukee). I only spent half a day in Wicker Park wandering around just to check it out (I went to the Polish restaurant Podhalanka (?) and stumbled into Wormhole Coffee) so I'm not sure I got a good feel for the area.

Anyhow, you'll be comfortable in Temescal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 12:46 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,706 times
The original thread here is four years old; Temescal is not even all that gritty these days, at least at the 51st Street end. The homes that sell there are well north of $1M these days and it's generally considered a Rockridge alternative at a slightly lower price point. Main issues are not so much crime related (though there is definitely property crime--that feels like it's held pretty steady as the area has gotten more affluent, though I don't know the actual numbers) but traffic/noise related; 51st Street is quite busy and there are some major developments going in nearby (big housing developments at 51st and Broadway, 49th and Telegraph, and 51st and Telegraph; new Safeway complex). It's a nice area that's walkable to both Rockridge and Temescal commercial districts, BART, and the farmer's market, though. Not sure if you are looking to rent or buy, but if you're hoping to buy, just be aware that most properties are listed quite a bit below what they will ultimately sell for (e.g., the house currently listed on 50th Street will almost certainly go for well above the list price).

Old 09-28-2015, 03:50 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis78 View Post
Main issues are not so much crime related (though there is definitely property crime--that feels like it's held pretty steady as the area has gotten more affluent, though I don't know the actual numbers) but traffic/noise related; 51st Street is quite busy and there are some major developments going in nearby (big housing developments at 51st and Broadway, 49th and Telegraph, and 51st and Telegraph; new Safeway complex).
Those of us who live right next to a freeway laugh at your noise complaints

Though because of said freeway, my place is cheaper than the average, and I've gotten used to the noise (my mind basically interprets it as "lots of wind" now, when I'm not paying attention to it), so it's alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland