Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 12:27 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,506 times

Advertisements

Yesterday after the pride parade, I witnessed a group of 5 or 6 gangsters beating a guy on Market St, but a group of people passing by intervened to stop them. One of the persons trying to help tripped and fell and one of the guys involved with the gang started kicking this samaritan on the stomach. As he was trying to get up, the kid kept kicking him in the face and his head snapped backwards and hit the concrete.

I rushed back along with other people telling them to stop but then they ran away. The police got there, the ambulance got there, firemen.... etc. But I wonder if anyone heard about this anywhere. I'm just addressing my concern for this guy. He had no part in this and didn't deserve to have this happen. I spoke with one of the guys who was walking with the victim when this happened. He was scared to talk to the police because he was an immigrant.

I've googled it to see any information on this but nothing shows up. Since the injury was neck related, the worse comes to mind.... and I'm hoping he comes back walking and fully recovered.

If anyone knows anything please let me know so that I can have some closure on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 12:28 PM

mods, can you move this to san francisco forum? i accidentally put this on the wrong forum. thanks!

Old 06-27-2011, 01:04 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
If you want it moved in a timely manner, use the "report post" feature.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:48 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Some cops on the beat around Market would be a nice idea! It seems there's hardly a day goes by that some $^&* doesn't go down in that part of town.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:03 AM

114 posts, read 121,723 times
OMG OMG OMG OMG close thread, ya u

Old 06-28-2011, 01:27 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Well at least you weren't shot like 4 innocent people on Saturday.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:38 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah, it seems like it's now almost a trend for some people to do something violent on big celebrations like this. Also, i have a feeling that a shooting in the middle of downtown, in the middle of a giant crowd, in broad daylight, in which 5 people were injured (4 of them innocent bystanders, 2 of them tourists, one from England), just a block away from a huge world renowned and highly anticipated celebration, would have gotten a little more attention in the news in most other cities. If gay pride was in Oakland instead, and this happened there, you can bet the Chronicle would have had more/better coverage, with Chip Johnson also writing a column about it and "Oakland's problems", etc. There's even video of the aftermath of the shooting (which was linked/embedded on some news sites...but not the SF Chronicle of course):

YouTube - ‪San Francisco / Civic Center Shooting at Pride 2011 - Sat 6-25-2011‬‏
YouTube - ‪San Francisco Shooting at Market Street 6/25/2011‬‏

edit: you'd also think it would get more attention because of the fact that there was a fatal shooting (with two bystanders injured) at last year's pink friday/gay pride as well. Not to mention the Castro Halloween shooting in 2006 that injured 9 (8 of them bystanders), or the several stabbings at the same event a year or two before that. By all accounts, until recent years Gay Pride events and the Halloween thing have been pretty violence free. I guess i was expecting more media attention on this shooting, especially because of what can be perceived as a "trend" after those previous incidents, and the media seems to love to soak that stuff up and jump to conclusions (if it bleeds it leads!). But given SF's tourist economy i guess that makes it all the more likely that bad PR for the city itself gets buried as quickly as possible.

Last edited by rah; 06-28-2011 at 10:00 AM..

Old 06-28-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's not my intentions to point out the negatives. I was only addressing concern for the samaritan who didn't deserve this to happen. But you're right, I am grateful everyday that I am alive and well.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:22 PM

26 posts, read 57,591 times
I couldn't find any info on the fight you mentioned either. It seems all the news is talking about the shooting. All these large events in the city draw people in from all over the bay area. At this point I expect a shooting to happen at every one of these things, and they're always explained as being gang-related when reported on later. I don't attend any celebrations anymore. I'd rather stay home and spend a quiet evening than play the bystander lottery.

I've been here since 2006, which I think was the last year they allowed the halloween celebration. In fact, I was on my way home about 30 mins after the gay pride weekend shooting that happened last year, just a couple of blocks from where it happened. I didn't even know it had happened yet but there was definitely an air of sketchiness and I remember saying I wanted to get home and out of the crowd as fast as possible.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:14 PM

114 posts, read 121,723 times
Alot of these stabbings and killings are not as random as you think thats all Im gonna say, thats not to say that stray bullets havent killed someone on crowd before because that is a tragedy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland