Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:09 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times

Advertisements

Oakland Votes To Permit Large Pot Farms - cbs5.com (http://cbs5.com/politics/oakland.pot.farms.2.1816183.html - broken link)

Looks like Oakland is living up to their new nickname, Oaksterdam... I guess the only issue here is putting "small farmers" out of business, but at least they'll have more control (over safety, security, jobs, quality, etc) with city-run cultivation. Do you think this will offer the financial gain they're promising, and will it help or hurt Oakland in general? It'll be interesting to see how things play out, especially with November's statewide vote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:14 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
P.S. Please stick to discussing this specific issue/measure, and don't turn the thread into another "pot is harmless" vs "pot is for losers" debate. I think we've already covered that to death, LOL.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,904 times
I think the biggest hit will be to Oakland's reputation. As a city that openly embraces recreational drug use, families will think twice before relocating to a city that already has a poor public schooling system, the highest crime rate in the state, and overpriced real estate.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:41 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oakland Votes To Permit Large Pot Farms - cbs5.com (http://cbs5.com/politics/oakland.pot.farms.2.1816183.html - broken link)

Looks like Oakland is living up to their new nickname, Oaksterdam... I guess the only issue here is putting "small farmers" out of business, but at least they'll have more control (over safety, security, jobs, quality, etc) with city-run cultivation. Do you think this will offer the financial gain they're promising, and will it help or hurt Oakland in general? It'll be interesting to see how things play out, especially with November's statewide vote!
I think this is a step in the right direction.

Oakland has definitely distinguished itself as the leader in the movement to legalize marijuana. I like the angle that the pro-legalization folks are using.

Focusing on the potential business growth and tax revenue is just brilliant.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:13 AM

240 posts, read 385,780 times
Default Your big brother might have something to say about that.

If the Nov. ballot is passed I believe it will be a succesful venture, if big brother allows it. Otherwise they will have to put the home grows out of bussiness in order to maitain the volume sales that will be required to maintain a large org.. On the other hand the quality of the product will be sacrificed for grow ability and production as the agribussiness has already done to our fresh food supply. The home producer will have to concentrate on supplying the connoisseur and the medical market if it does pass in order to compete with a big operation like they are describing in the article.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profiler View Post
If the Nov. ballot is passed I believe it will be a succesful venture, if big brother allows it. Otherwise they will have to put the home grows out of bussiness in order to maitain the volume sales that will be required to maintain a large org.. On the other hand the quality of the product will be sacrificed for grow ability and production as the agribussiness has already done to our fresh food supply. The home producer will have to concentrate on supplying the connoisseur and the medical market if it does pass in order to compete with a big operation like they are describing in the article.
Thanks for your perspective.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,317,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
[url=http://cbs5.com/politics/oakland.pot.farms.2.1816183.html] I guess the only issue here is putting "small farmers" out of business
I can just see ADM, Cargill and Monsanto elbowing each other out of the way to put the little guys out of business.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:32 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,165,953 times
I'm going to laugh real hard and hardy when some base head drives a beat up mazda pick up truck through the wall so he and the "home boys" can score the grow of their lives.

That or a bunch of fools are going to come in with choppers (ak 47's) and their going to stick every body the **** up.

Either way its typical of oakland. That city's motto should be "When you cant fight crime embrace it and legalize it"

Old 07-21-2010, 04:09 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,904 times
Or if you're OPD, just ignore that it even happens and ask residents to go an "online form" to fight crime.

Oakland must honestly be a long running gag joke. I'm waiting for Mayor Dellums to have a press conference where he announces the entire city is the most elaborate joke in the world. Surprise! That's the only way anything Oakland has done in the past 30 years could ever be looked upon with any respect.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I can just see ADM, Cargill and Monsanto elbowing each other out of the way to put the little guys out of business.
Very good point. Something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland