Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 13,018 times

Advertisements

I can't help but chuckle -- throughout this site people recommend the Bay Area, whereas I'm trying to get out due to the astronomical cost of living. If I had to boil my many desires down to a few they would be:

rolling hills
creeks, ponds
lot size of at least 2-3 acres for less than $800K
great public schools
civic engagement -- people who read, talk, care
and here's the kicker -- cultural diversity.

We're a black/multiracial family and I don't want my kids to grow up constantly having to tell people "what" or "who" they are. This is where the Bay Area is practically unbeatable (except perhaps for NYC) but, like I said, the cost of living is driving us out.

So, we're thinking Western MA, Shaker Heights OH, somewhere in Oregon. Anyone out there know of any really happy transplanted Californians who were looking for what I'm looking for?

Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 07:13 PM

100 posts, read 381,498 times
By western MA do you mean the Northampton area?
It's pretty flat in Northampton but you might like it here or in Brattleboro VT
Ohio can be pretty flat too.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:36 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,271 times
Well, Oregon won't want you.

"Come visit us again and again. ... But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." - Tom McCall, Governor of Oregon

Old 08-23-2007, 04:43 PM

58 posts, read 192,458 times
Well, Im living in Sacramento and it seems to me that this is truly the most diversed city in USA. U wont guess who is who and whos kid is black or yellow or white or whatever colour. Ppl do not seem to have problems with that here. Cost of living is also pretty different from Bay area which is just 1,5h away from here... Im white myself, my hubby is black and our both kids r "other race". hehe I never noticed ppl looking at me or us with questions in their eyes or maybe I just dont see it bcuz I totally ignore it and dont want to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland