Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:26 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanye west. View Post
UGH STOP TRYING TO MAKE OAKLAND HAPPEN!!!
Mr. West, in case you didnt notice, I am not Taylor swift.

Quote:
There is a reason Oakland's population dropped during the past decade according to the Census.

The Oakland trivia/random facts aren't selling that crime ridden dump to us. Give it a rest.
The population decline you mentioned happen to be the African American population. The San Francisco-Oakland metropolitan area lost 33,003 blacks, a decline of 8%. However, contrary to your belief, it is not a local trend, but a national trend.

According to the US Census, 20 of the 25 cities that have at least 250,000 people and a 20% black population either lost more blacks or gained fewer in the past decade than during the 1990s.

USATODAY.com

Blacks' exodus reshapes cities - USATODAY.com

Last edited by Stephen1110; 08-11-2011 at 11:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 01:12 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Haha Stephen dropping the knowledge yet again

>.<

Old 08-12-2011, 01:33 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Quote:
UGH STOP TRYING TO MAKE OAKLAND HAPPEN!!!

There is a reason Oakland's population dropped during the past decade according to the Census.

The Oakland trivia/random facts aren't selling that crime ridden dump to us. Give it a rest.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:01 AM

Oakland is the #16 city on the Edge of Greatness

The "Cities on the Edge" study assessed five categories to identify which US cities are well-positioned to rise to the top. The categories examine: (1) the City, including an analysis of the job market, housing cost and appreciation, population, percentage of young people, education level, income and investment in green living; (2) Music, identifying the most independent, homegrown music scenes; (3) Arts, examining artists per 100,000 population, paired with the presence of local art institutions; (4) Hometown Sports Heroes, the percentage of pro football, baseball or basketball players born in each city beginning in 1990; and (5) Alternative Sports, analyzing interest in alternative sports such as skateboarding, snowboarding, motocross, BMX, X games, ultimate fighting/martial arts, professional lacrosse and soccer.

First Annual Cities on the Edge Study Finds San Francisco, Boston and Denver on the Edge of Greatness | Reuters

Oakland is the #1 Most Underrated City in the West

"It's San Francisco's Brooklyn. But look what happened to Brooklyn," Tamony says. "Oakland is hot."

"Oakland boasts a great jazz scene"

"It's the center of California's most amazing food scene"

Most Underrated Cities in the West - Photo Gallery - LIFE

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3...0medium0ik.jpg

Old 08-12-2011, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,117 times
Default Rent control in Oakland?

I'm wondering if anyone has rent control information for the City of Oakland?

How much of a rent increase is allowed

- for existing tenants

- for vacant units, based on previous tenant's price

It is my understanding that for existing tenants, you can currently increase a max of 2% between July 2011 and June 2012, but later on the city website, they mention a max of 10%, which confuses me.

See here, (http://www2.oaklandnet.com/Government/o/CEDA/o/hcd/o/RentAdjustment/index.htm - broken link) under the title, "allowable annual rent increase."

For vacant units, I assume that there is no government-imposed limit.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific_94233 View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has rent control information for the City of Oakland?

How much of a rent increase is allowed

- for existing tenants

- for vacant units, based on previous tenant's price
It is my understanding that for existing tenants, you can currently increase a max of 2% between July 2011 and June 2012
The rules change yearly based on CPI. It only matters for existing tenants who are renewing a lease. If the lease isn't renewed, than landlords can raise it as much as they want. If a new lease starts, that's a new deal (and that is how landlords cheat the system)

Thanks for sending me this link! I'll need to confirm my landlord doesn't go crazy when raising my rent this year.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:35 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Quote:
"It's San Francisco's Brooklyn. But look what happened to Brooklyn," Tamony says. "Oakland is hot."
I dunno, what happened to Brooklyn?

Old 08-15-2011, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I dunno, what happened to Brooklyn?
Maybe this would help:

Philadelphia is the new Brooklyn. Oakland, too, is the new Brooklyn, as are Jersey City and Anaheim. And based on dozens of recent newspaper articles (and too many blog posts to count), please consider the following additional candidates: Montreal, Queens, Nashville, Richmond, Anchorage, Buffalo, Baton Rouge, Bangalore, Warsaw and Aurora, Colo. And Doha, Qatar. All potential new Brooklyns. Which is a little weird for a city that has spent most of its existence as an outer-borough punch line.
But like the new black, the new-Brooklyn meme is curiously durable. The last time this sort of trope was so popular was with Seattle in the 1990s. But then, the meaning of “the new Seattle” was clear: any city with a surplus of guitar bands or coffee bars was a new Seattle. To be a new Brooklyn means — well, it depends. It can signify a “gritty arts enclave” (Philadelphia), a “surprisingly O.K. place without all those rich people” (Oakland), a “real-estate speculator’s dream” (Queens). But for Richard Florida, author of “The Rise of the Creative Class,” it’s all the same thing. “ ‘Brooklyn’ is a euphemism for ‘gentrification,’ ” Florida says.
Florida, director of the Martin Prosperity Institute at the University of Toronto, is quick to distinguish between good gentrification and bad. Brooklyn accumulated its hipness, he says, by avoiding the “gauche” sort of hypergentrification that overwhelmed SoHo — perhaps because it had so much further to come. Growing up in the ’60s and ’70s, Florida developed a distinctly negative impression of Brooklyn. “Brooklyn was ugh,” he says. “It was urban blight. Now it’s somewhat affordable, it’s somewhat real, it’s somewhat authentic.”
And alas, maybe somewhat over. Once Brooklyn real estate began commanding previously unthinkable prices, Manhattanites began drolly floating the idea that maybe Manhattan was the new Brooklyn — a homey place that artists could afford. And what to make of the new single by J. C. Brooks & the Uptown Sound, “Baltimore Is the New Brooklyn”? The chorus, in all its neo-soul glory, lays it bare: “Baltimore is the new Brooklyn — it’s just a short train ride away from where you really want to be.” Of course, the Uptown Sound is from Chicago, so there may be a little metro anxiety at work there. After all, Chicago has been the second city to New York for ages, and if Manhattan is now the new Brooklyn, what does that make Chicago — the new Staten Island?

Where Is the New Brooklyn? - NYTimes.com

Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
lol... of course NYTimes is gonna say "x city is the new Brooklyn". They're New Yorkers. It's actually more condescending than flattering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland