Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 03:30 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,111 times

Advertisements

Well first off, san fransisco next to nyc is the densist city in the country. I know comming from the sprawled out nightmare of SMELL-A this is hard to comprehend, but ill break it down for you..

instead of building outwards (we are surrounded north, east, and west by water, so people have to build up. So naturally the value of a square foot in Sf is going to be alot more than the value of a square foot in say west smog angeles. As result of this, much like manhattan newyork, the cost of housing has sored. Thats just how it goes....

Now i can agree with you that people come from all over the country to live the SF lifestyle. Be it gay, hipster/yuppie,far east immigrants, but look how tolerant we are. I go skate on embarcadero nearly every day, and the faces are always black, white, mexican, asian, etc.. and everyone can relate to each other, this goes not only for skateboarders but for a good portion of the city. People are all living ontop of each other, so they try to make the best of it.

Look at LA, people have road rage free way shootings, race riots, police beatings caught on camera, celebrety murders, gangland wars(sometimes with in the same southern hispanic gangs)... no offence but these things are damn near pretty foreign to most people living a life in SF.

And lets look at LA, remember, you left LA because its a cesspool, and the sooner you forget that, the sooner you should go back where you came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 03:40 PM

18 posts, read 89,217 times
Ah, life is looooooooong when it's filled with negativity. It's short when you're happy.

Let's stop our bitching. I am BORED in the Bay Area, but that's my fault, not the Bay Area's. I lived in LA and left it because I wasn't keen on the value system, so now I'm looking for the next place to move that suits me. San Diego???? Dunno.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:42 PM

18 posts, read 108,132 times
lol ok lets get past the 7X7 thing thats why i quoted wikipedia. I do actually feel pretty safe in SF (except when in bayview/ hunters point) hehe. So while LA might be more dangerous it has different things to offer. I am personally tired of meeting people in SF that think its the greatest place on Earth and tell people that they should move here when they have never left California. Can someone give me their opinion on what other big cities are great to live in (from experience preferably).

Old 08-10-2007, 11:28 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
News Flash:

San Francisco has a higher crime rate than LA.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:43 AM

718 posts, read 2,688,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative83 View Post
lol ok lets get past the 7X7 thing thats why i quoted wikipedia. I do actually feel pretty safe in SF (except when in bayview/ hunters point) hehe. So while LA might be more dangerous it has different things to offer. I am personally tired of meeting people in SF that think its the greatest place on Earth and tell people that they should move here when they have never left California. Can someone give me their opinion on what other big cities are great to live in (from experience preferably).

There are no better cities to live in. San Jose is pathetic, LA is disgusting, San diego is nice but the job market is crum bum, next to la, and left california? For what the multitude of cesspool cities that give us crappy east coast transplants?

ever been out east? Chicago, detriot, st louie, indianopolis, miami, etc??? all cesspools and fly over cities. New york? yay lets smell urine on a subway...you could be dying in the middle of manhattan and people would not give you a second glance

Old 08-11-2007, 08:46 AM

572 posts, read 2,088,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
...you could be dying in the middle of manhattan and people would not give you a second glance
This is absolutely false, ESPECIALLY in New York. New Yorkers are known to be loud and arrogant, but not cold hearted and mean.

If you're going to bash a city, at least tell the truth.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:35 PM

7 posts, read 52,051 times
well san francisco IS more expensive than manhattan. so i guess you should move back there

Old 08-13-2007, 03:59 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
News Flash:

San Francisco has a higher crime rate than LA.

And one of the highest unsolved murder rates in the country.

But I still love living here. I don't walk around expecting to be killed. If you focus on it, it will happen...eventually. Your car will get broken into, you'll be mugged, you'll be ( ). If you focus on other things, like blossoming where you are and accepting where you are, sometimes it makes things easier. If you don't like where you are...MOVE. Or stay and congregate with others who do not enjoy it either, complain and remain miserable. Or write a post, (calinative) about how much you hate SF to warn others to stay away. I'm sure in every place on earth, there are people who love, hate or simply tolerate where they're living. Good luck finding that perfect place that you're seeking. San Diego? I could give you a 100 reasons why you don't want to live there either. lol. Every place has it's ups and downs. You're going to be moving a lot if you continue to chase unreleastic expectations. Try going within first and make peace with yourself.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:01 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,785 times
i meant to say..."unrealistic expectations"...i knew something didn't look right with that word. hahaha. peace.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:16 PM

18 posts, read 108,132 times
SF is NOT the bay area. Moderator cut: orphaned The bay area does have a lot of diversity but SF does not. If I was referring to LA I would not be including, Newport Beach, Temecula, Riverside, Covina, Fullerton, Agoura Hills etc. Besides SF in many ways is very segregated where you have chinese, black and white only neighborhoods. I have had black friends here that felt it was very racist whenever they got on Muni white women would hold onto their purses. Diversity means to me that people with different backgrounds are mixing with one another and dont hold onto things that separate them. How many gays only go to gay bars in castro and dont mingle with straight people? How many chinese people would live in a black neighborhood in SF or vice versa? none because they dont get along. Moderator cut: personal attack And redwoodlovr I never said I hate SF i am simply telling people about things that others are not willing to discuss. Moderator cut: ... Compared to Madison San francisco must seem like the most diverse place in the world!

Last edited by Marka; 08-19-2007 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: the post you're responding to has been removed by a moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland