Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:52 AM

70 posts, read 130,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettD View Post
The average salary of graphic designers in the Bay area is what, 45,000-50,000k a year? Is that enough to get a nice cozy apartment in a safe area in Oakland?
$45k-50k might be a little high as a starting salary, going into the field with no experience you may have to take what you can get lower down in the food chain, and work your way into the job you want. Broaden your scope from the advertising field, and be prepared to work in an industry you hadn't previously considered. That salary is plenty to live in a nice area of Oakland unless your college loans are high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 11:55 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
In addition to selling real estate, I also conduct minor work in web and graphic design (and have been for going on 7 years now). I never pursued that market much out here in California but was offered $13/hr to start in Dixon (LOL). Like other comments, I don't get the feeling that the market is real satisfying right now. Graphic and web design are very easy to cut down in markets like this. In addition, it's important to remember how many out-of-work artists there are in this region. Any job opening is going to be highly competitive. When Wix moved out to SF, it was a bum rush even for simply customer service reps.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:17 PM

227 posts, read 538,353 times
Not pile on, but tis true. I'm in marketing, and the graphic design field is really soft. You can contact Aquent or the The Creative Group for freelance work. But expect an hourly wage, no benes, temp assignment. We have in-house graphic design, and we had to lay-off a (lesser experienced) designer last year. We supplement with a temp agency person when needed.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:42 PM

52 posts, read 81,407 times
All I want to do is do advertising. It's like I'll never catch a break.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:10 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
So, again, look in LA and NYC, that is where the advertising world is based as well as the big media markets. The Bay Area's economy is more based around specialized tech fields, law firms, and finance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland