Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

I did have a coworker once who came to work at 11, because of "traffic" and then left at 4 to beat the "traffic." Obviously, he was my least favorite coworker because he did no work.

I do know plenty of 10 to 5:30 people though. I am still trying to figure out how to join that club, because I work much more.

One thing that is odd about the Bay Area. IF you go out in the middle of the day in neighborhood land (like Temescal, Rockridge, Piedmont Ave, Mission, SOMA, Castro...) you will see an astonishing number of people, who are far from job centers, out and about shopping. Drinking coffee. Hanging out. I have to wonder, where on earth do these people work. Do they have a trust fund? what gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 01:17 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I did have a coworker once who came to work at 11, because of "traffic" and then left at 4 to beat the "traffic." Obviously, he was my least favorite coworker because he did no work.

I do know plenty of 10 to 5:30 people though. I am still trying to figure out how to join that club, because I work much more.

One thing that is odd about the Bay Area. IF you go out in the middle of the day in neighborhood land (like Temescal, Rockridge, Piedmont Ave, Mission, SOMA, Castro...) you will see an astonishing number of people, who are far from job centers, out and about shopping. Drinking coffee. Hanging out. I have to wonder, where on earth do these people work. Do they have a trust fund? what gives?
If they are twiddling with a smart phone they are probably blasting emails, telling other people what to do. Seriously.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
If they are twiddling with a smart phone they are probably blasting emails, telling other people what to do. Seriously.
Haha, although these people are doing absolutely nothing besides reading the paper...drinking coffee....

I really need to work on getting a job where no actual work is required. I guess I need to work for a bigger company so my days will be filled with unproductive meetings....

Old 07-15-2011, 02:18 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
They're probably all government retirees like Curmudgeon sitting around blogging about how horrible and out of control spending on retirees is.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:29 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,088 times
Quote:
Haha, although these people are doing absolutely nothing besides reading the paper...drinking coffee....

I really need to work on getting a job where no actual work is required. I guess I need to work for a bigger company so my days will be filled with unproductive meetings....
I think the days of nice sinecures are gone- I think most jobs are very demanding and even if not so by nature of the profession, have evolved to become very demanding and overworking.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:33 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,088 times
Quote:

Well, I have seen some of that in SOMA- particularly the tribes of techies- groups of 5 to 8 eyeglass-wearing, skinny physique males donning backpacks emblazoned with their start up company's logo. They eat lunch together on the grass in South Park, grab afternoon lattes, and appear to be constantly wandering around SOMA during the hours people work. But I think the downside to their existence is that they work hours other people normally use for rest or recreation- late into the night or on the weekend.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:07 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
Well, I have seen some of that in SOMA- particularly the tribes of techies- groups of 5 to 8 eyeglass-wearing, skinny physique males donning backpacks emblazoned with their start up company's logo. They eat lunch together on the grass in South Park, grab afternoon lattes, and appear to be constantly wandering around SOMA during the hours people work. But I think the downside to their existence is that they work hours other people normally use for rest or recreation- late into the night or on the weekend.
They work all waking hours, connected to the web via an electronic leash.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:47 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
They work all waking hours, connected to the web via an electronic leash.
Yeah of those waking hours most are wasted chit chatting and socializing with coworkers. I hate the people who spend too much time at work because they are too unorganized and unfocused to get anything done in regular hours.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:07 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
LOL... That is so true. The worst effects of widespread iPhone availability and addiction to social networking is visible everywhere in this fine city! The classic scene is that a group of young San Franciscans at a restaurant are completely immersed on their phones and not eating the food and neither talking with their friends!!! After all going to a hip restaurant has only one purpose... your facebook friends will know that you have 'checked-in' to such a cool spot-
THis annoys the crap out of me too. People even check into lame places like Target. I refuse to get a smartphone because of this.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:16 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
This foursquare "checking in" must be some new thing I've been heretofore unaware of. I've haven't quite figured out yet if I'm just getting old and left behind, or if everyone else is just turning into a bunch of self-obsessive dorks with the constant prattling on the social networks (unless of course they're trying to sell something, in which case I get it.) Even people significantly older than me are guilty as sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland