Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 06:45 AM

27 posts, read 65,615 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the Bay Area in the Fall. Instead of offering to pay for moving expenses, my company gave us a big chunk of money and we pay for things out of that. Of course we'd like to save as much of it as possible. That being said, we may move ourselves from Minneapolis to San Francisco.

If we do that, does anyone know the logistics of parking a moving truck in the street for several hours? I'm guessing our new place (which we don't have yet) will be in a busy part of San Francisco with no parking. We'd want to be as close to it as possible, so we may have to take up a lane in the road for several hours.

Another thought is we hiring a local San Francisco moving company to meet us and unload the truck. If anyone has experience with that, let us know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 06:29 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,457 times
Yes it can be hard to park in SF. I would try and do it on a Saturday or Sunday when you don't have to pay for meter parking, though I think SF passed some dumb law lately where they are charging for meter parking even on the weekend, you'd have to find out what the rules are on your block. If you're somewhere like Nob Hill or Hayes Valley then parking is really hard, it's easier in the Sunset or Richmond where there's not really going to be any meters.

If you are driving the truck then you'd probably have to figure out how to park it on the street at a time when you can get a space without breaking any laws. If you hire people to do it then they will be aggressive about finding a space, and might park somewhat illegally (like by a fire hydrant) but with cones out to show that they are doing moving work. They or you might have to park down the block or around the corner, it really can be a pain. Plus you have to be careful about not leaving the truck open and unsupervised because you never know who will walk up and steal something.

If you are moving to pretty much anywhere else in the Bay Area all of this goes out the window, you'll probably have a driveway or a parking lot to use, or at least a street with much more parking.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:08 PM

110 posts, read 376,946 times
I've done it several times just moving within the city. It is not as difficult as it may seem. All you do is pop the truck up on the sidewalk leaving a small space for pedestrians to go around and the the rest of the truck takes up a street parking space. You can get a $100.00 dollar ticket for doing this but not if you have someone watch the truck or you are constantly checking the truck. The trickiest place I did this was on Pine between Taylor and Jones but we pulled it off without incident.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:06 AM

802 posts, read 2,264,865 times
Some moving companies will get a permit to allow them to park for an extended period of time. You might want to check with the company from which you will be renting the van to see if they can give you any information about this.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:25 PM

194 posts, read 1,202,779 times
I believe SFPD will save you a parking spot in front of your address by putting "NO PARKING" this day etc, etc, for a fee of around $100 a day I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland