Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:41 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,377 times

Advertisements

San Francisco made the list by GQ magazine, of 40 worst-dressed cities in the U.S. Here is the hilarious piece that was written about it, below- it is very true, don't you think? But don't feel too bad SF! New York City and Los Angeles also made the list of worst-dressed cities.

20. San Francisco
Marked by uber-brains from the Silicon Valley/biotech/finance nerd trifecta, aging blue bloods, Midwest transplants San Francisco exists, in part, as the older, wiser, straitlaced counterpoint to the younger, flashier, bottle-service-vodka-swilling Los Angeles. Aggressively casual and understated, San Franciscans eschew sartorial frivolity of any kind (like color, for example) in favor of the highly practical and high performing, not surprising in a city known more for its brain trust than style quotient. And it's no accident that good old dependable American brands like Levi's, Gap and Dockers are comfortably headquartered here. Muted earth tones and grayscale reign, possibly a reaction to generally abysmal weather or to the unrestrained flamboyance of its southern brethren (see: Newport Beach, the afore-mentioned LA). But would it kill you, San Francisco, to give the fleece a rest and put on a blazer for a night? We get it though, it can't be easy to be the intellectual capital of the country—just know that there are options out there, and that a wardrobe bought entirely from REI is not a source of pride.—Maxandra Short

Source here: The 40 Worst-Dressed Cities in America: Style: GQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 02:29 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Sorry GQ, but every time I read one of your issues when waiting at the barbershop, it strikes me as a bunch of women writing for gay guys. I mean they tell guys that they should wear scarves indoors. As a fashion statement. Year-round.

Oh well, it's actually kind of a funny set of articles.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:30 PM

330 posts, read 749,701 times
Seems to me that just about every big city in the entire country is on that list. So I'm not really sure what the point of it was - Are they trying to say all of the US dresses poorly?

Old 07-15-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Sorry GQ, but every time I read one of your issues when waiting at the barbershop, it strikes me as a bunch of women writing for gay guys. I mean they tell guys that they should wear scarves indoors. As a fashion statement. Year-round.

Oh well, it's actually kind of a funny set of articles.
Yeah, I think the article was meant to be humorous more than anything. But there seems to be some underlying truths in there.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil1212 View Post
Seems to me that just about every big city in the entire country is on that list. So I'm not really sure what the point of it was - Are they trying to say all of the US dresses poorly?
I think they were just trying to be funny in the article. Well, it did make me laugh out loud.

I started off being into eclectic dressing ex Manhattan living then evolved into dresses and skirts thanks to San Diego and now evolving subconsciously towards North Face. I never though it would come to this but another North Face jacket or fleece seems good right about now...

Old 07-15-2011, 07:05 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
A good non North Face alternative is the Gothic Look. There are also offshoots of this now, with a bit more color, that get inspiration from anime.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:51 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
Muted earth tones and grayscale reign, possibly a reaction to generally abysmal weather
Yes wear the northface jackets year long to match the terrible weather

Old 07-15-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Yes wear the northface jackets year long to match the terrible weather
another weather plug by "andyadhi the terrible"

Old 07-16-2011, 02:34 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
another weather plug by "andyadhi the terrible"
Never mind its been this way since the last ice age and one lone disgruntled Texas transplant isn't going to change it by kvetching. But given your average Texan's over-inflated sense of importance he'll keep trying.

As far as the tripe they had to say about San Francisco is was pretty mild...if untrue. This town is a hipster and thrift shop heaven. If I had a buck for every pork pie hat I see each day I could pay my mortgage with it at the end of the month.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:03 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,263,802 times
I just don't see the whole REI thing. I think of SF as more of a Lululemon, Banana Republic, or filthy thrift store hipster demographic, depending on the neighborhood.

Sure, there is a kernel of truth to the article, but I think it's largely based on outdated stereotypes and perceptions by those who don't live here. Fleece was big like 15 years ago. I've never owned a single piece of fleece. I'd say of al the current brands, Lululemon is the quintessentially annoying modern-day SF chic-but-understated style for yuppie yoga and running enthusiasts. I'm not a fan of that either, but I think that's much more accurate for the era than REI. There's only one REI store in SF, and it's not even as big as the San Diego stores I've seen. I'm sure all their stores do fine, but it's not exactly on the top of the SF list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland