Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:35 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times

Advertisements

Yes, SF is walkable. Heck, many times it's even faster to walk than take the bus.

I'm surprised that so many people are surprised about Seattle being #6. It's a major, relatively dense, walkable city and there's no reason why it shouldn't be on the list. What would you rather see instead of Seattle...Memphis? Omaha? Phoenix? Los Angeles? :\

Keep in mind this is the US we're talking about, it's a stretch to even get 10 on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 04:43 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAve2OakLand View Post
Point taken, but aren't "walkable" and "transitable" (new word? ) 2 different things? I would imagine that a "Best Cities to Live In Without a Car" list would produce different (albeit similar) rankings.
True. Here is a list of "the best cities to live without a car" from 2008. SF, NYC, Philly and DC are still on this list as well:

Best Cities in the US for Living Without a Car | Useful Automotive Articles About the Auto Industry from Used Car Buyer Big Bucks Auto | Big Bucks Auto

Old 07-20-2011, 05:21 PM

310 posts, read 651,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
True. Here is a list of "the best cities to live without a car" from 2008. SF, NYC, Philly and DC are still on this list as well:

Best Cities in the US for Living Without a Car | Useful Automotive Articles About the Auto Industry from Used Car Buyer Big Bucks Auto | Big Bucks Auto
Since we've taken it this far, here is a side by side comparison. The Top 5 are almost identical.

Best for:

Walkability ..........................Car-free Living

1. New York (85.3).................1. New York
2. San Francisco (84.9)...........2. Boston
3. Boston (79.2).....................3. San Francisco
4. Chicago (74.3)...................4. Chicago
5. Philadelphia (74.1)...............5. Philadelphia
6. Seattle (73.7).....................6. Portland
7. Washington, D.C.(73.2)........7. Seattle
8. Miami (72.5).......................8 Washington DC
9. Minneapolis (69.3)...............9. Dallas*
10. Oakland (68.2).................10. Denver

* I'm shocked that they would list Dallas in the Top 10 in not needing a car. Have they ever been to Dallas? That town is WAY spread out.

Last edited by OakAve2OakLand; 07-20-2011 at 05:31 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 05:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Kind of interesting that Portland is nowhere on the walkable list but it's #6 on the w/o car list.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:02 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,264 times
Ah, they're using the numbers from walkscore.com where they don't take any account of how difficult the walk is, just if certain categories of amenities are within walkable distance. They don't even check if the walk is possible. I've seen places in Sunnyvale get a decent walk score, but everything "walkable" was on the other side of an impassable interstate.

Still, I like walkscore a lot. It's a useful site and concept. Not at all surprised at the results, but I've been using the site for years, and they have the top cities listed right there.

Last edited by Isebiel; 07-20-2011 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: wrong homonym, dangit

Old 07-20-2011, 06:26 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,064 times
Quote:
I would guess it's the Oakland Hills that are bringing down its rank, otherwise it seems it would rank much higher.
A month ago we moved from Montclair near Skyline to the Lake Merritt area and I've barely used my truck since. Walk to work in downtown Oakland, shop around the neighborhood, walk everywhere. Never walked in Montclair (outside of hiking in Redwood Park) - not because of the hills, but because most streets are too narrow with no sidewalks.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:53 PM

310 posts, read 651,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Kind of interesting that Portland is nowhere on the walkable list but it's #6 on the w/o car list.
One can only assume that speaks highly of their transit system. Which is right in line with what I've heard.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post

I just read through this list, and the details seems to be, ah, somewhat more imaginative than factual. He may be right about the overall standings, but I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
Quote:
Since we've taken it this far, here is a side by side comparison. The Top 5 are almost identical.

Best for:

Walkability ..........................Car-free Living

1. New York (85.3).................1. New York
2. San Francisco (84.9)...........2. Boston
3. Boston (79.2).....................3. San Francisco
4. Chicago (74.3)...................4. Chicago
5. Philadelphia (74.1)...............5. Philadelphia
6. Seattle (73.7).....................6. Portland
7. Washington, D.C.(73.2)........7. Seattle
8. Miami (72.5).......................8 Washington DC
9. Minneapolis (69.3)...............9. Dallas*
10. Oakland (68.2).................10. Denver

* I'm shocked that they would list Dallas in the Top 10 in not needing a car. Have they ever been to Dallas? That town is WAY spread out.

Yes Dallas shouldn't be on the list. Life in Dallas is very difficult without a car. Dallas has invested heavily in public transit, probably more so than any other city in US in the last 10 years. Dallas has a very good and extensive light rail network, but you still need a car because its so spread out and huge. Commute to downtown Dallas from major suburbs are very public transit friendly these days.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:51 AM

943 posts, read 1,320,635 times
Quote:
One can only assume that speaks highly of their transit system. Which is right in line with what I've heard.
It's true, Portland has an excellent transit system, based mainly on an extensive system of light rail lines that pretty much covers the entire city.

Not only that but riding the light rail is free within the central part of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland