Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-25-2011, 12:31 PM
 
3 posts, read 9,099 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I am relocating for a great job opportunity in Napa, CA. am single and in my early 20's looking for an artsy city/town nearby with people my age to mingle with... Good restaurants, night life... I am basically just looking to not be bored.. very active lifestyle and would like the same in my new location... I am doing research on nearby cities in accordance to Napa but would also like some advice from others. I would like to live in SF area but am looking for a shorter commute.. Apartment/condo range 1200-1400 monthly. I'd appreciate your NICE and helpful comments.
Namaste!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2011, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
77,771 posts, read 104,909,020 times
Reputation: 49248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmtjms08 View Post
I am relocating for a great job opportunity in Napa, CA. am single and in my early 20's looking for an artsy city/town nearby with people my age to mingle with... Good restaurants, night life... I am basically just looking to not be bored.. very active lifestyle and would like the same in my new location... I am doing research on nearby cities in accordance to Napa but would also like some advice from others. I would like to live in SF area but am looking for a shorter commute.. Apartment/condo range 1200-1400 monthly. I'd appreciate your NICE and helpful comments.
Namaste!
As much as I like Florida, lucky you. Now I will add, the Napa Valley area is pretty laid back and I don't know if you are going to find any of the area really filled with night life. It is more an area for people who like to relax, enjoy the outdoor life and are not inclined to spend evenings and weekends at the bars.You will find some great little restaurants I would add. I think, from what I have seen, most of the people are a bit older, but you will certainly find a nitch and it is such a pretty part of our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2011, 05:17 PM
 
310 posts, read 652,182 times
Reputation: 231
I'll defer to the locals here for the specifics, but my hunch is you're going to have a pretty major tradeoff decision here. You're either going to settle in or around Napa with a nice short commute but limited nightlife / social opportunites, OR you can live in Oakland / Berkeley / Albany in or near a fun, artsy, hip neighborhood with plenty to do and lots of other people your age, BUT then have to manage (I would imagine) a hellish commute to and from Napa. I think you will have to decide which is more important to you.

The practical thing would be to live near your work, and just commute into the inner East Bay or the City to party. But it's not impossible to do it the other way around. You're young, maybe you could try it for a while on a month-to-month basis before making a longer-term committment to a lease. If your work schedule is flexible at all and might allow you to work off-peak hours, this would make the commute from say, Berkeley, to Napa less hellish.

I'm sure there are at least some people your age in and around Napa that work at the wineries. You might find the weeknight scene near there is all you need, plus weekend trips into the city.

Just a couple other points:

* I would think living in SF and commuting to and from Napa would be out of the question. In addition to the hellish commute to begin with, you would have the whole Bay Bridge congestion to deal with, twice a day. IMO, you would be quitting your job in Napa or breaking your lease in SF after the first month. Don't underestimate the toll (NPI) that kind of daily commute will take on you.

* Geographically at least, Vallejo looks like it could be viable option for you, as it's in between Napa and Oakland / Berkeley. BUT I really don't think it's a good fit for your demographic / profile, and from what I've read it's a city with a lot of problems these days.

* I'm sure some folks at your new work destination in Napa would have some decent advice for you as well, in case you haven't tapped that source yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2011, 05:33 PM
 
Location: South Korea
5,242 posts, read 13,089,857 times
Reputation: 2958
Live in Napa or somewhere nearby for this job, then look for jobs in SF or somewhere that's more convenient to SF/Berkeley/Oakland. Napa is pretty far out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2011, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Bay Area
3,980 posts, read 8,998,110 times
Reputation: 4728
I'm thinking that Sonoma might be an option.

It's not anything like San Francisco/Oakland/Berkeley, but there is a large University (Sonoma State) there and a cool downtown square with bars/restaurants. There's a bit of a tourism trade so it wouldn't be entirely dead or sleepy at night. I can only imagine that there must be a good 20 something crowd solely based on the school. Napa would be a little slower paced and with less to do, imo. There is a cute downtown area, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Pacifica, CA
297 posts, read 767,709 times
Reputation: 247
Default Petaluma

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I'm thinking that Sonoma might be an option.

It's not anything like San Francisco/Oakland/Berkeley, but there is a large University (Sonoma State) there and a cool downtown square with bars/restaurants. There's a bit of a tourism trade so it wouldn't be entirely dead or sleepy at night. I can only imagine that there must be a good 20 something crowd solely based on the school. Napa would be a little slower paced and with less to do, imo. There is a cute downtown area, however.
Did you mean Sonoma County or Sonoma the town? Sonoma State is located in Rohnert Park which is not all that close to the town of Sonoma and a large % of students are older folks going back to school. Sonoma the town does have the square, but i'm not sure there is much of a nightlife scene for people under 30.

Petaluma might be the best choice, it will require a commute but its a reasonable one, and the downtown has some night spots that get some young people, and there's even an old punk club that gets some pretty good bands. Its much more low key then SF, but its probably the best choice for the area. If you wanted to get to the city on weekends, its not too bad of drive, especially compared to Napa. Napa traffic on nice weekends is really horrible, since there's basically one road to get in and out of Napa/St. Helena/Calistoga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2011, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Bay Area
3,980 posts, read 8,998,110 times
Reputation: 4728
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooler View Post
Did you mean Sonoma County or Sonoma the town? Sonoma State is located in Rohnert Park which is not all that close to the town of Sonoma and a large % of students are older folks going back to school. Sonoma the town does have the square, but i'm not sure there is much of a nightlife scene for people under 30.

Petaluma might be the best choice, it will require a commute but its a reasonable one, and the downtown has some night spots that get some young people, and there's even an old punk club that gets some pretty good bands. Its much more low key then SF, but its probably the best choice for the area. If you wanted to get to the city on weekends, its not too bad of drive, especially compared to Napa. Napa traffic on nice weekends is really horrible, since there's basically one road to get in and out of Napa/St. Helena/Calistoga.
Oops, I goofed. I assumed that Sonoma State would be in Sonoma!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2011, 10:40 AM
 
3 posts, read 9,099 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for the helpful advice guys!! Going out and partying is not my main priority whatsoever
but I want to be able to make friends and not feel completely isolated from a city feel
so I am thinking I will probably just get a condo in downtown napa or move to petaluma area..
And if those options don't work well for me there's a lot other options
once again I appreciate the comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2011, 10:42 AM
 
3 posts, read 9,099 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Live in Napa or somewhere nearby for this job, then look for jobs in SF or somewhere that's more convenient to SF/Berkeley/Oakland. Napa is pretty far out there.
''san fran'' well I guess you know I'm from florida then lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top