Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:31 PM

53 posts, read 113,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Sonny, a "new" poster, is too lazy to search Oakland in the forum but somehow knows 18M's sexual preference, cultural background, and educational attainment.

I'm hesitant to consider a new Mr. Fantastic, but maybe we have him back!
All you have to do is click on his user name. He provided all that data. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh Fantastic, you will never get under my skin. *yawns*

Keep trying if it makes feel better tho.
It's not about getting under your skin. It's about calling your game, LOL!

Old 07-31-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This isnt at all what you asked in the first post:

If one were to work in Oakland (looking at a map...closest landmarks look like Army Base or possibly Lake Meritt), how far, and in what direction would one have to go to find a nice place to live?

So where are the good zip codes vrs. the bad, or how to find out?

Is Oakland "ghetto"? All of it? Some of it? Does the ghetto culture pervade any and all surrounding suburbs?

At least you've decided to not look in Oakland. Keep going. The farther out the better for us.

That's right. Its 'aint' nice. Run away.
And you have an MBA?

Looks like the same basic concepts to me.

Let me boil it down some more, LOL!

"Oakland has a bad reputation, in particular riots. If you have to work there, where are the most convenient places to live that aren't affected by the problems that seem to plague Oakland as reported by obstensibly reputable media?"

Old 07-31-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
To the OP: if you are actuall serios about finding out the story on Oakland, why don't you try searching for Oakland in the forums or try skimming the Oakland Pics thread that is a sticky on this forum. After you have spent a little while looking into the wealth of info that is available, you might find more helpful responses. There have been a dozen threads in recent weeks asking about Oakland. Use the search button.
But how many of them specifically address the "good and bad" areas, the riots, etc. All the uncomfortable subjects?

(I know, go look, LOL!)

But seriously, I'd scanned google quite a bit. Oakland turns up in so many "Most dangerous" lists, I decided to just ask.

Already 18Montclair is in my face. So would seem that the media impression is already correct in his case. After all riots require people who feel the need to be confrontational.

Wow, seems way different that the vibe SF in general is supposed to have?

Last edited by SonnyBelt; 07-31-2011 at 10:06 PM..

Old 07-31-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
People that are looking for an OC like environment wouldn't even consider working or living in Oakland. This post seems a little off.
Basically, given a choice, you are correct, I wouldn't.

Jobs are where they are though.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
As 18Montclair says, Marin County is one option, but when I hear "Orange County," I think "rich conservative with more money than brains." You're probably going to be out of your depth here.
Umm... well, Jay Leno once said he was "King of More Money than Brians", LOL!

But seriously, how many folks get rich without knowing a little something? They gotta be smarter than me, or I'd be there too.

Granted, I've seen plenty of unlevel playing fields in life too.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespian666 View Post
Are you for reals? I take a breather from the forums for about a year and ahhhh schnapp.

Even high school level logic would dictate that correlation is pure nonsense; So utterly fallacious I thought you were actually joking until I read your other posts.

You wanna draw a correlation? Start with education level.

I really can't believe someone would type that.

It's like asking about avoiding the S65 AMG culture of Glendale.

If your conveniently sourced statistics lead you to reinforce a preconception then why ask a question that begs to prove you wrong??

Or move to Irvine and commute to Anaheim.
Yes, correlation and causation aren't equivalent, but it's a good way to bet, true? Least that's what some statisticians would have us believe. LOL!

In any event, its a very clear correlation, that seems to hold well. I mean really, is Detroit a nice place? Been majority black for a long time. They run the place. Has it gotten any better? How about Haiti? The list is long. Whether it's causitively correct or not, I can't say, but as one person trying to have a decent life, it is a reasonably reliable indicator.

Why ask the question? Because to be honest, I wanted to be proved wrong. I'm hoping it isn't so. But given the defensiveness here, well, it feels like the problems must really be there?

Does everyone in Glendale drive an AMG?

Last edited by SonnyBelt; 07-31-2011 at 10:13 PM..

Old 07-31-2011, 09:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyBelt View Post
But how many of them specifically address the "good and bad" areas, the riots, etc. All the uncomfortable subjects?

(I know, go look, LOL!)
You called it. There are literally dozens of recent threads with Oakland in the title. Once you have perused them, come back and ask questions.

The reason you are getting unhelpful responses should be pretty clear, your original post essentially implied Oakland is full of "horrible" ethnic people who cause problems, and you asked how can I get as far away as possible. Not the best way to get helpful information.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyBelt View Post
Yes, correlation and causation aren't equivalent, but it's a good way to bet, true? Least that's what some statisticians would have us believe. LOL!

In any event, its a very clear correlation, that seems to hold well. I mean really, is Detroit a nice place? Been majority black for a long time. They run the place. Has it gotten any better? How about Haiti? The list is long. Whether it's causitively correct or not, I can't say, but as one person trying to have a decent life, it is a reasonably reliable indicator.
As usual people who claim there is a "correlation" forget about this really interesting thing called class.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsba View Post
Oakland is awful stay away. Just check out these riots.
‪Car drives through crowd of people (BAY TV 415)‬‏ - YouTube look at this craziness in Oakland. ooops thats San Francisco how bout this one
‪Boston Celtics riot‬‏ - YouTube oops my bad that's Boston maybe its this one
‪Vancouver Riots 2011: Destruction After Boston Bruins Win Stanley Cup‬‏ - YouTube no thats Vancouver. o well im sure all these riots have something to do with Oakland cuz only Oakland can riot and have crime. Right SonnyBelt?
Couldn't see the third one. Apparently taken down. Seems the thread is they are all idiotic sports fans. And most sports these days is definitely majority AA. So they are just behaving like thier heros, LOL!

But seriously, I'm not saying Oakland is unique. I'm just saying Google and Youtube searches appear to make it out to be a problem spot.

And beyond that, asking what people who are stuck attached to such a place work around it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland