Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:57 PM

53 posts, read 113,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You called it. There are literally dozens of recent threads with Oakland in the title. Once you have perused them, come back and ask questions.

The reason you are getting unhelpful responses should be pretty clear, your original post essentially implied Oakland is full of "horrible" ethnic people who cause problems, and you asked how can I get as far away as possible. Not the best way to get helpful information.
Well, just researching, but clearly hearing a lot of denial, that's for sure.

No one's saying "ethnic people are horrible", LOL!

But then I guess this is to be expected. Even Bill Cosby got reamed for pointing out facts.

Last edited by SonnyBelt; 07-31-2011 at 10:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
As usual people who claim there is a "correlation" forget about this really interesting thing called class.
No, not at all. As a working person that's lived near some of the truly upper class locales in the world, class is not lost on me, not by a long shot. Trust me, the impact of coming from poor folks definitely hangs over my life. If I came from the eschelons you speak, I wouldn't even have to consider these issues. If I were to head for Oakland and be of that set, I'd live in some gated guarded place, right? Going further, if I was really well off, wouldn't bother. Just would go wherever those folks all congregate, LOL!

But when you adjust for "class" (i,e, income) the AA population still leads the way on a percentage basis for many problem issues, ranging from AIDS to crime. It's not neccesarily just domestic, where we have the legacy of slavery, either.

Geez, hasn't Somalia been in the news a lot lately? (Won't claim to have full knowledge of the situation, though.)

Old 07-31-2011, 10:14 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyBelt View Post
It's not about getting under your skin. It's about calling your game, LOL!
As if you could.

LOL...keep trying benchwarmer.

*yawns*

Quote:
And you have an MBA?

Looks like the same basic concepts to me.

Let me boil it down some more, LOL!

"Oakland has a bad reputation, in particular riots. If you have to work there, where are the most convenient places to live that aren't affected by the problems that seem to plague Oakland as reported by obstensibly reputable media?"
This is what happens when someone has low self esteem--their entire lives revolves around the approval of others. You definitely dont belong in Oakland.

Poor Fantastic.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:15 PM

295 posts, read 461,243 times
Humm strange sonny a majority of those people rioting are white in ALL those videos. Yes, blacks are the majority of the players but you would have to be quiet dim to think that the players are out in the street leading these riots. more specifically the cities in each of those videos are 65% or more white in their population. further more a majority of those well off folks you speak of in the above post both reside and hang out in Oakland, and a good number of them are black. i know this because 1, I'm a part of that group and 2 everybody i hang out with is part of that group. you should pop on down to the Oakland rotary meeting. Oaklands rotary is the third formed rotary in the world and is very well attended. You should explain to them how "bad" their city is and see what response you get.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
So howz the real estate market in Mission Viejo these days?

*yawns*

Racism tends to bring out the confrontational side in me.
No clue about the market in Mission Viejo. Guess I could look at Zillow or something.

Last I heard, property valuation in OC were 4 times the national average. Out of my reach.

Oh the R-word. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Funny how it's OK to bash whites and muslims these days. Racism cuts both ways.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:31 PM

310 posts, read 651,201 times
Quote:
Seems the thread is they are all idiotic sports fans. And most sports these days is definitely majority AA. So they are just behaving like thier heros, LOL!
Because we all know how the sport of hockey (re: exhibit C - the Vancouver riots) has been just overrun these days with blacks, both on the ice and in the stands. There must be a full dozen AA players in the league now.

Sonny boy, in post after post, you have clearly outed yourself as a racist troll. If you were remotely earnest in your original inquiry, you would have taken Jade408's generous advice by now, and taken the time to educate yourself about some of Oakland's nicer neighborhoods. As she's stated, there's an abundance of information already on these boards, all yours for the searching.

Here, I'll even give you some keywords to get you started: Rockridge, Montclair, Temescal, Piedmont Ave, Lake Merritt, Grand Lake, Dimond, Laurel. But you won't do that, because that's not really why you're here is it?

Maybe you can surprise me, and post something informed...that doesn't use the words "You Tube" or "riots".

Old 08-02-2011, 03:27 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,598,964 times
Quote:
But how many of them specifically address the "good and bad" areas, the riots, etc. All the uncomfortable subjects?

But seriously, I'd scanned google quite a bit. Oakland turns up in so many "Most dangerous" lists, I decided to just ask.
Quote:
"Oakland has a bad reputation, in particular riots. If you have to work there, where are the most convenient places to live that aren't affected by the problems that seem to plague Oakland as reported by obstensibly reputable media?"
Time to set the record straight....

This should trump your claims, and shoot this "bad reputation" of Oakland down for good.

The executive board of the American Society of Criminology (ASC) has approved a resolution opposing the development of city crime rankings from FBI Uniform Crime Reports (UCRs). "These rankings represent an irresponsible misuse of the data and do groundless harm to many communities," said ASC President Michael Tonry, professor of law and public policy at the University of Minnesota. "They also work against a key goal of our society, which is a better understanding of crime-related issues by both scientists and the public." Since 1994, Morgan Quitno Press, a tiny Lawrence, Kan.-based publisher, has produced an annual list of the "safest" and "most dangerous" U.S. cities. CQ Press, a division of Congressional Quarterly, Inc., purchased Morgan Quitno in June 2007, and is scheduled to publish the rankings again next week. The resolution, approved at the ASC's annual meeting now under way here, states: "Be it resolved, that the Executive Board of the American Society of Criminology opposes the use of Uniform Crime Reports data to rank American cities as 'dangerous' or 'safe' without proper consideration of the limitations of these data. Such rankings are invalid, damaging, and irresponsible. They fail to account for the many conditions affecting crime rates, the mismeasurement of crime, large community differences in crime within cities, and the factors affecting individuals' crime risk. City crime rankings make no one safer, but they can harm the cities they tarnish and divert attention from the individual and community characteristics that elevate crime in all cities. The American Society of Criminology urges media outlets to subject city crime rankings to scientifically sound evaluation and will make crime experts available to assist in this vital public responsibility." The Society's resolution is the second passed in recent months deploring crime rankings by community. Last June, the U.S. Conference of Mayors passed a similar measure, which also committed the Conference to working with the FBI and the U.S. Department of Justice "to educate reporters, elected officials, and citizens on what the (UCR) data means and doesn't mean." In addition, the FBI has posted the following disclaimer on its Web site with the UCR data: Caution Against Ranking -- Each year when Crime in the United States is published, some entities use reported figures to compile rankings of cities and counties. These rough rankings provide no insight into the numerous variables that mold crime in a particular town, city, county, state, or region. Consequently, they lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents. Valid assessments are possible only with careful study and analysis of the range of unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction. The data user is, therefore, cautioned against comparing statistical data of individual reporting units from cities, metropolitan areas, states, or colleges or universities solely on the basis of their population coverage or student enrollment.

Criminologists Condemn City Crime Rankings -- re> ATLANTA, Nov. 16 /PRNewswire/ --

Maybe you didn't notice when "researching" Oakland, but Oakland is on more than that one list:

• walkability
• coolest cities
• most fun cities
• best climate
• healthiest cities
• cities of the future
• best cities for dating
• most educated cities
• best music towns
• longest life spans
• best cities for young adults
• most diverse cities
• and the list goes on

Old 08-02-2011, 11:44 AM

295 posts, read 461,243 times
Very well said Stephen1110.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Time to set the record straight....

This should trump your claims, and shoot this "bad reputation" of Oakland down for good.
The OP didn't deserve such a thoughtful response, notice after countless responses to review the wealth of info available, he hasn't return to ask questions.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
As if you could.

LOL...keep trying benchwarmer.

*yawns*

This is what happens when someone has low self esteem--their entire lives revolves around the approval of others. You definitely dont belong in Oakland.

Poor Fantastic.
"...low self esteem..." geez, now your really getting down to middle school stuff aren't you.

I don't need your approval or anyone else's for my self esteem, LOL! Generally only need it to earn money, LOL! Like most worker bees.

Yeah, no doubt I don't belong in Oakland, I knew that before I posted. It's a question of dealing with it, if it comes. Simple as that.

Geez, when even Wikipedia says the place sucks, you know it's bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland