U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 04:59 PM

53 posts, read 109,112 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
If one were to work in Oakland (looking at a map...closest landmarks look like Army Base or possibly Lake Meritt), how far, and in what direction would one have to go to find a nice place to live?

Granted "nice" is relative. Basically talking low crime, good schools, all that sort of thing.

Having noticed people riot in Oakland over football games and such, and that San Mateo is a long way from this area, not sure where to look first.

I've seen the following comments in other threads:

1) Oakland was rated 4th most violent city in the US last year. SF and Berk aren't much better. I know of three people who have been mugged recently in very public places. I hear about kids getting shot each weekend. it's embarrassing.

And the counterpoint...

2) OK here comes the Oakland bashing again. Yipee. OK you folks from zip codes with 4 towns, please note that Oakland has 13 zip codes. Before you go and make generalizations, I'd recommend you take a look at each zip code in Oakland specifically. You might be surprised.

So where are the good zip codes vrs. the bad, or how to find out?

Photos in the photo thread make the place look like, I dunno, downtown Dubuque only larger. I.e. looks like everything was built in the 1800's and run down since.

But then much of NYC in places as that sort of duality. Run down areas right next to really expensive areas. (IMHO this is one of the reasons big cities suck, but that's another thread I suppose, 'cause there are always folks who thing "urban is chic" or whatever. I feel it's just crowded and dirty. But that's just me.)

Was just looking at another thread about Oakland and found this:

1) Black culture has always been the prevailing culture in Oakland so it's not very surprising that ghetto black culture is used throughout the ghetto.

Is Oakland "ghetto"? All of it? Some of it? Does the ghetto culture pervade any and all surrounding suburbs?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 05:28 PM

35,657 posts, read 62,948,971 times
Sounds like you already have your mind made up. Why should we waste our time trying to convince you otherwise? Not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyBelt View Post
Is Oakland "ghetto"? All of it?
Yes.

Don't move here.

Quote:
Does the ghetto culture pervade any and all surrounding suburbs?
Absolutely.

Please live somewhere else.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sounds like you already have your mind made up. Why should we waste our time trying to convince you otherwise? Not worth it.

Yes.

Don't move here.

Absolutely.

Please live somewhere else.
My mind isn't made up, just collecting info. But there does seem to be an awful lot of condemning data out there. Just go to youtube and search on Oakland Riot, and much comes up.

Type in some other areas of Ca. and no hits.

I'm not asking anyone to convince me of anything, just looking to establish the truth and if it's as it seems, find a workable strategy for survival in the area, if possible.

Trust me, I'd rather be looking at Sonoma, Napa, or Marin any day of the week, as would any rational person, I'd tend to think, no?

However, it does strike me as interesting, that when AA folks ask about moving to a predominantly white area, if anyone reacted as you are and said, "Please live somewhere else", there'd be, well, a riot over it.

Is there some reason why "ghetto" culture is "good" and it should be propogated into every nook and cranny of the world?

Seems to me riots and ghetto culture go hand in hand and force people to have to worry about this issue.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:47 PM

35,696 posts, read 39,254,056 times
Only if you were actually going to move there and had details like a budget and personal needs (schools, etc) could someone answer your questions. You don't have to live far from anything, but it all depends on what you want and how bad you want it (how much you are willing to spend).

Old 07-30-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Only if you were actually going to move there and had details like a budget and personal needs (schools, etc) could someone answer your questions. You don't have to live far from anything, but it all depends on what you want and how bad you want it (how much you are willing to spend).
Well, "willing to spend" and "have it to spend" are two different things, otherwise I'd retire and head for Maui.

Where's the closest area similar to say, South Orange County at?

Old 07-30-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Trust me, I'd rather be looking at Sonoma, Napa, or Marin any day of the week, as would any rational person, I'd tend to think, no?
I moved to Oakland from Tiburon(Marin County) and when I frequently drove back and forth from Oakland, it wasnt bad at all. About an hour each way. Piece of Cake.

Move to Marin, you'll love it.

Quote:
However, it does strike me as interesting, that when AA folks ask about moving to a predominantly white area, if anyone reacted as you are and said, "Please live somewhere else", there'd be, well, a riot over it.
Oakland is not predominantly African American and so regardless as to what race you are, reading your posts reveal that you just are NOT a good fit for Oakland. Anywhere in Oakland.

Please, move to Marin and make us all happy.

PS Welcome back Mr Fantastic.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:23 PM

Here's a lovely home in Tiburon now being offered at the rock bottom price of $3.8 Million(a steal really).
3 Owlswood Rd Belvedere Tiburon CA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #21116188 - Realtor.com®

http://p.rdcpix.com/v01/l1fdb4343-m1x.jpg

http://p.rdcpix.com/v03/l1fdb4343-m24x.jpg

I would jump on that checkbook in hand if I were u. LOL.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:28 PM

17,593 posts, read 23,474,644 times
Quote:
Hi All,
If one were to work in Oakland (looking at a map...closest landmarks look like Army Base or possibly Lake Meritt), how far, and in what direction would one have to go to find a nice place to live?

Granted "nice" is relative. Basically talking low crime, good schools, all that sort of thing.

Having noticed people riot in Oakland over football games and such, and that San Mateo is a long way from this area, not sure where to look first.

I've seen the following comments in other threads:

1) Oakland was rated 4th most violent city in the US last year. SF and Berk aren't much better. I know of three people who have been mugged recently in very public places. I hear about kids getting shot each weekend. it's embarrassing.

And the counterpoint...

2) OK here comes the Oakland bashing again. Yipee. OK you folks from zip codes with 4 towns, please note that Oakland has 13 zip codes. Before you go and make generalizations, I'd recommend you take a look at each zip code in Oakland specifically. You might be surprised.

So where are the good zip codes vrs. the bad, or how to find out?

Photos in the photo thread make the place look like, I dunno, downtown Dubuque only larger. I.e. looks like everything was built in the 1800's and run down since.

But then much of NYC in places as that sort of duality. Run down areas right next to really expensive areas. (IMHO this is one of the reasons big cities suck, but that's another thread I suppose, 'cause there are always folks who thing "urban is chic" or whatever. I feel it's just crowded and dirty. But that's just me.)

Was just looking at another thread about Oakland and found this:

1) Black culture has always been the prevailing culture in Oakland so it's not very surprising that ghetto black culture is used throughout the ghetto.

Is Oakland "ghetto"? All of it? Some of it? Does the ghetto culture pervade any and all surrounding suburbs?
From your post I'd say 500 miles would be safe, perhaps Nevada or Oregon

Old 07-30-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I moved to Oakland from Tiburon(Marin County) and when I frequently drove back and forth from Oakland, it wasnt bad at all. About an hour each way. Piece of Cake.

Move to Marin, you'll love it.

Oakland is not predominantly African American and so regardless as to what race you are, reading your posts reveal that you just are NOT a good fit for Oakland. Anywhere in Oakland.

Please, move to Marin and make us all happy.

PS Welcome back Mr Fantastic.
Well, here's the numbers from Wikipedia. It may not be predominantly black, but it's twice the average, and on any list of most dangerous cities, or any scan of places that riot, there's a clear correlation between the size of the black population and the "dangerousness".

Further, since some folks response as "two or more races" etc., the actual number may be higher that 28% by a good margin.

The reverse correlation can also be shown by looking at "safest city" lists and doing a little digging.

So clearly, the proliferation of "ghetto culture" (whatever that is) appears, empically, to not be a good thing.

The 2010 United States Census[92] reported that Oakland had a population of 390,724. The population density was 5,009.2 people per square mile (1,934.0/km²). The racial makeup of Oakland was 134,925 (34.5%) White, 109,471 (28.0%) African American, 3,040 (0.8%) Native American, 65,811 (16.8%) Asian, 2,222 (0.6%) Pacific Islander, 53,378 (13.7%) from other races, and 21,877 (5.6%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 99,068 persons (25.4%).

And here's the most dangerous cities lists from various credible sources, so I don't think my concerns are out of line.

The 10 most dangerous cities in America - Business - US business - msnbc.com

most-dangerous-cities-247: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

The Most Dangerous Cities In America

To be honest, I don't know what you have your back all up about. The facts are pretty much the facts. If they aren't acknowledged and dealt with, places that currently suck, pretty much always will.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
From your post I'd say 500 miles would be safe, perhaps Nevada or Oregon
I was thinking Maui, but I'm not in the economic winner's circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland