Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 12:25 PM

675 posts, read 1,190,706 times

Advertisements

If so, what is your favorite places to go in the Bay Area ? I bought this book a while back, I think it's called "Then and Now", and has some fascinating pics of SF back in the late 1800, early 1900's and now. It's awesome to see some of the same buildings still standing despite the 1906 quake. Are there any places you history buffs love to visit ? San Francisco AND California in general, has such an amazing history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 12:50 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,789,308 times
There's a lot of interesting history here. Some of it is not as accessible.

One of the most interesting to me involves the Port Chicago disaster. This was one of the largest war-related disasters on US soil in WW2. Most people have never heard of it. Here is the Wiki article that talks about it:
Port Chicago disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another newer museum that I like is the Rosie the Riveter , US homefront memorial in Richmond. Its fascinating as the museum is within the area that the Kaiser shipyard was. They built Victory ships there at a lightening pace.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:26 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,990,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
If so, what is your favorite places to go in the Bay Area ? I bought this book a while back, I think it's called "Then and Now", and has some fascinating pics of SF back in the late 1800, early 1900's and now. It's awesome to see some of the same buildings still standing despite the 1906 quake. Are there any places you history buffs love to visit ? San Francisco AND California in general, has such an amazing history.
If you like Bay Area/San Francisco history, a visit to the Oakland Museum of California is a MUST if you haven't already been...Really fantastic museum! It's also cheap and parking is easy!

Old 06-21-2013, 02:24 PM

330 posts, read 749,939 times
Fort Point is a fun place to visit...and free.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:51 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,355 times
USS HORNET museum [WWII aircraft carrier] Alameda

Winchester mystery house , San Jose

Old 06-21-2013, 02:58 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
There's a lot to be learned at General Mariano Vallejo's estate, Lachryma Montis, in Sonoma, and the old Sonoma barracks are still there, too. Also, I like Fort Ross, preserved (reconstructed after a couple of fires) from the time that the Russians held Alaska, and needed a trading station to get food and other goods from the Mexicans.
http://www.noehill.com/sonoma/cal0004.asp
http://www.fortrossstatepark.org/

Old 06-24-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's a lot to be learned at General Mariano Vallejo's estate, Lachryma Montis, in Sonoma, and the old Sonoma barracks are still there, too. Also, I like Fort Ross, preserved (reconstructed after a couple of fires) from the time that the Russians held Alaska, and needed a trading station to get food and other goods from the Mexicans.
California Historical Landmark #4: Vallejo Estate in Sonoma County
Fort Ross SHP Interpretation and Education

I really like the old Sonoma Barricks. I was hoping for some more walkable stuff in SF. My family and I will be there from July 14th-July 20th, and I was looking for some city stuff history wise. On a side note, I could hang out at that Wells Fargo on Montgomery (a few blocks from the Transamerica Building) for hours, they have a great little museum inside.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:52 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
I really like the old Sonoma Barricks. I was hoping for some more walkable stuff in SF. My family and I will be there from July 14th-July 20th, and I was looking for some city stuff history wise. On a side note, I could hang out at that Wells Fargo on Montgomery (a few blocks from the Transamerica Building) for hours, they have a great little museum inside.
Oh, thanks for that tip. I had no idea they had a museum inside.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 AM

486 posts, read 1,256,100 times
The Missions all around California.

In the Bay Area, I really like the Asian Art Museum. Probably the best of its kind in the country.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, thanks for that tip. I had no idea they had a museum inside.

Yeah, they have an OLD Wells Fargo Stagecoach right in the window, you can't miss it. Probably from the 1880's. Inside they have 2 stories of really cool museum quality stuff, old handcuffs and guns. Old checks, letters, really cool stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland