Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 12:09 PM

36 posts, read 102,813 times

Advertisements

There's about a 50/50 chance we will be relocating to the East Bay this summer. (If you know our family IRL, please respect our desire for privacy on this and do not discuss this on FB at this point; it's in no way a done deal.) If we do move, DH will report to work in Livermore, but we do not wish to be based there. We're looking for an academically challenging, socially supportive public high school for our will-be-14-y-o daughter. Can anyone compare/contrast the following three comprehensive high school options: Dublin, Amador Valley, Foothill? I'm curious about flexibility, class size, student engagement, are classmates there to really learn in depth or just get the 5-point AP A and move on? Are there things you love or despise about one of these schools? Please share. Are there other close-by public high schools we should consider? Also, I know that the area is expensive in general, but are there any more affordable areas with this high school zoning? We would be looking at rental, 3-4 people plus one small, middle-aged, poodle. Thanks in advance!

(Apologies to folks who read this already on the San Jose board; I was advised this was the correct home for East Bay questions.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 02:15 PM

388 posts, read 1,017,139 times
They are all good schools.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
We're looking for an academically challenging, socially supportive public high school for our will-be-14-y-o daughter. Can anyone compare/contrast the following three comprehensive high school options: Dublin, Amador Valley, Foothill? I'm curious about flexibility, class size, student engagement, are classmates there to really learn in depth or just get the 5-point AP A and move on? Are there things you love or despise about one of these schools?
This is difficult to answer since most of it is going to depened on your daughter and what she takes advantage of, and the particular group of students going to the school at any given time. I've known parents who try to choose schools based on reports and numbers even though their kid isn't going to be any better/worse off or smarter or more successful regardless of where they attend. I had two kids go through the same school 4 years apart and have completely different experiences because of what they chose to do and what their interests were.

I would say that the Foothill and Amador have an edge over Dublin High (as does the City of Pleasanton over the City of Dublin IMO) but all 3 schools offer a variety of programs that kids can be involved with. Foothill was long known for it's music program, Amador for it's "We The People" and robotics groups, but again this varies with each different group of students and teachers. All of these schools have the typical problems that come from having hundreds of teenagers in one place and have their share of unmotivated and unengaged students as well as academically driven future leaders. Being in an upscale community there is also some spoiled brats thrown in the mix as well as demanding, parents with inflated feeling of entitlement that can be hard to deal with. Mostly though you and you child will be able to find others on your level, whatever that level is. No matter what you can just find the place you want to live and go to the school you are assigned to without too much worry.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:55 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I moved around MANY MANY MANY times when I was in school and always had good luck with GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland