Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:31 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,823,263 times

Advertisements

Seems like Stanford is the consensus favorite to be the Pac 12's first champion and the team is ranked high among the best in the nation.

Good karma. But does the name "the Cardinal" really fit the image...or even give an image.

The university, of course, did the right thing years ago to get rid of the offensive "Indian" tagline, but it didn't so well in picking a new name.

The Cardinal isn't even a bird for the folks on the farm; it is a color. So it is not "the Cardinals". Hardly a memorable name for a totally memorable and high profile university.

But since the time of the name change, a new name, IMHO, makes itself available that really projects the university and is a defined part of its image.

Stanford can be credited in creating the very computer based economy that is the South Bay. Why not have a name that reflects and celebrates this.

I propose that Stanford become the Silicon Chips. Chips, for short, which has a cool sound to it. Silicon Chips gives Stanford the same kind of neat name that Boilermakers does for Purdue.

What sounds better for a Big Game match up: Stanford Cardinal vs. California Golden Bears or Stanford Silicon Chips vs. California Golden Bears.

I don't know about anyone else, but the second has a much better ring to me. Others may and will disagree, but I really believe that "Silicons Chips" works and works well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 11:52 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,718,440 times
How about SLACers after the Stanford linear accelerator?

Old 08-16-2011, 02:26 PM

330 posts, read 749,465 times
I can't tell if this guy is serious. The Silicon Chips? Really??? That would be terrible. Is edsg25 a Cal fan in disguise?

Old 08-16-2011, 02:33 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,192 times
That might be the worst team name ever.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:35 PM

310 posts, read 651,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I propose that Stanford become the Silicon Chips.
You're joking right? That sounds about as sporty and intimidating as the "Stanford Codecrunchers".

If you're serious about renaming, I think you need to expand the geographical horizons just a little to more of a Northen California theme...something like the "Stanford Sequoias". I know the image of a tree isn't exactly intimidating either, but at least it is a majestic species of tree, unlike the silicon chip which supposedly gets more minute and cheaper every 18 months. Plus with the Stanford Sequoias, they could retain that image of that tree in the logo. What kind of tree is that, btw? Might as well be a giant sequoia.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:55 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
How about those UC Santa Cruz "Slugs"

I'm thinking Cardinal is OK.

Standford Redwoods would be a good name. Big, Stiff and Phallic in nature.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:22 PM

330 posts, read 749,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAve2OakLand View Post
You're joking right? That sounds about as sporty and intimidating as the "Stanford Codecrunchers".

If you're serious about renaming, I think you need to expand the geographical horizons just a little to more of a Northen California theme...something like the "Stanford Sequoias". I know the image of a tree isn't exactly intimidating either, but at least it is a majestic species of tree, unlike the silicon chip which supposedly gets more minute and cheaper every 18 months. Plus with the Stanford Sequoias, they could retain that image of that tree in the logo. What kind of tree is that, btw? Might as well be a giant sequoia.
It's a coastal redwood. So pretty close.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:28 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,904,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAve2OakLand View Post
Plus with the Stanford Sequoias, they could retain that image of that tree in the logo. What kind of tree is that, btw? Might as well be a giant sequoia.
It's a Redwood tree; actually, one in particular: El Palo Alto El Palo Alto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Working at Stanford, I see first hand just how little people here (for the most part) don't care about sports. Everyone is really excited when we're winning, but it's not like most schools where sports are a central part of everyone's weekend plans in the fall/winter (football/basketball). Part of that is because the school body population isn't really that big for a D1 school (6887 undergraduate and 8779 graduate students); and also because many students are foreign or are not that big of sports fans to begin with...It's too bad, because I'm a huge college football fan; the Stanford games last year were awesome, in particular.

Getting people excited about a name change would probably take a lot of effort...The Cardinal isn't an amazing name, but at least is somewhat classy. Plus, we have a "mascot" in the dancing tree.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:15 PM

295 posts, read 461,196 times
Im not a Stanford fan, I went to Boise State GO BRONCOS, but i don't see a problem with the name. I mean if Syracuse can be the "Orange", also the color not the fruit, why can't Stanford be the Cardinal?

Old 08-16-2011, 08:22 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Because of the school's symbol, I've always thought they should be called The Stanfurd Trees.

Go Bears!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland