U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 10:16 AM

35,656 posts, read 62,948,971 times

Advertisements

In light of the recent rash of events, I am inclined to agree.
Quote:
De La Fuente said the council had failed to act appropriately to support police, and he believes city residents who supported the injunctions should have been more vocal.

"The silent majority of the city is as guilty as we are," he said. "We don't demand that we use whatever tools are at our disposal to stop this. Where were all the law-abiding citizens who want us to do something about it?"

Reid and De La Fuente voted with Councilwomen Libby Schaaf and Pat Kernighan to pursue and continue enforcing the gang injunctions already under way in North Oakland and the Fruitvale district. But the compromise motion also said there would be no more.

Read more: Push for curfews, more gang injunctions in Oakland
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 10:20 AM

35,656 posts, read 62,948,971 times
I normally wouldnt post something like this here because all of Oakland's problems are so well publicized and scrutinzed by the media that I don't need to even comment.

But Ive been noticing a huge spike in incidents in East Oakland and West Oakland that lead me to ask what we as Oaklanders do to put an end to this?

What can those of us who don't live in those areas do to help those that do live in those trouble areas? Is it even possible to help? I don't know?

Old 08-17-2011, 11:22 AM

295 posts, read 439,770 times
I think a curfew is a great idea. My full support. however i dont think the council will ever make that rational dessicion.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:30 AM

16,584 posts, read 25,583,421 times
There's been a spike in crime everywhere. Oakland of course will be put in the spotlight. Even in San Diego, the news reported a drive by shooting in Oakland, something they never do here. Of course I suppose they had to balance all the the weird things happening in SD lately including the random shooting of a police officer who was sitting in his car.

Ok sorry rant over.

Anyway, some sort of gang injunctions are a good idea. Not sure if a curfew would ever get approved but I'd support it.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:30 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,153,830 times
What is currently being done to suppress criminal activity clearly is not working. The word is out that Oakland is cop-short and folks are taking advantage. Property crime up in the hills, violent crime down in the flats.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:03 PM

24,063 posts, read 24,228,100 times
I'd support it.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:52 PM

28,234 posts, read 34,695,325 times
i am so irritated with the current crop of city leaders. No one seems to want to take a stand a decisive action on anything. I support curfews and gang injunctions. Generally, there is no good reason for young people to be out late. They might as well stay in, I think it is reasonable.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 PM

179 posts, read 397,373 times
I just hope its not a trend! I having just moved here from Iowa. I am in support of more supervision of minors. But would prefer such supervision be by parents. Just makes me so mad. When another persons kids interfere with my quality of life. And instead of contenuing to build prisons only to fill them up. Lets put some of that money into giving parents the resources they need. So they can fulfill there responsibility as parents.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 22,903,512 times
I think there is a need to ride herd on gangs, just like what was done during the 90s. They eased up and the gangs are coming back.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:13 PM

4,576 posts, read 8,713,769 times
Curfews are pretty stupid when you don't have enough po-po's to enforce them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland