Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is San Francisco a world class city?
Yes 99 79.20%
No 26 20.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:41 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,061,646 times

Advertisements

We honstly don't care, just leave behind your tourist dollars when you go and keep the *****ing to a minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 02:48 AM

10,514 posts, read 6,142,529 times
There is no definition here of what is meant by 'world class'. The closest definition might be what Wikipedia refers to as a 'Global city', in which there are cited all sorts of studies on the subject, looking at combinations like economic activity, political power, knowledge and influence, quality of life and global interconnectivity.
San Francisco ranks on some of the studies and not on others.

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alternatively, if you want a more dumbed down view from an outsider (ie me) you could take a 'Simon Cowell' perspective on things. He is always going on and on about what is world class and what isn't. I think what he's talking about is reputation and popularity.
In which case San Francisco and the Bay Area could definitely be defined as world class. Most people in the UK would give their right arm to do what be are doing - ie moving over there this October - Hooray!

Old 08-19-2011, 12:36 PM

13 posts, read 79,611 times
Look at San Francisco in the 21st century: lack of ideas, lack of development, we push the gay agenda harder (and more annoyingly) than other city in the world, yet, last I heard, gay marriage is still illegal here. This is a city that talks the talk, but hasn't walked the walk in over a decade.

Stand up from your BART seat and look at what you just put your @ss on. Is that world class?

Old 08-19-2011, 12:43 PM

36,650 posts, read 67,396,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBlood View Post
Look at San Francisco in the 21st century: lack of ideas, lack of development, we push the gay agenda harder (and more annoyingly) than other city in the world, yet, last I heard, gay marriage is still illegal here. This is a city that talks the talk, but hasn't walked the walk in over a decade.

Stand up from your BART seat and look at what you just put your @ss on. Is that world class?
Name for me 1 city anywhere in the world that doesnt have social problems?

Old 08-19-2011, 12:46 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,663,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyRudd View Post
Yes, it is, but there's no need for a poll since plenty of people who have never been there will vote based on political stereotypes.
I think that was the point

Old 08-19-2011, 12:59 PM

13 posts, read 79,611 times
I'll say this: In the 20th century San Francisco was definitely a world class city. Not a single doubt about it.

Many cities in the world have social problems, and to be honest, social problems don't really make or break whether you're a world class city but San Francisco is the king crab of social problems. Our city is the training video for other cities to look at so they don't end up like us. Of course, this is just one of many reasons I don't think we're very relevant in the 21st century.

Again, I love living in San Francisco. Maybe a decade down the line, I might entertain the idea of relocating to Chicago, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else right now. I'm a realist, and I realize my city has major problems, and I'd love to do my part in turning this into a world class city again, but when you simply put a band-aid on every single problem that cripples the reputation of this city, that's not gonna fix things.

I think we'll get there. But it's not motivating that in the last 11 years, this city has not been relevant on any major platform.

Also, the last great "world class" architecture built in San Francisco was AT&T Park and that was 10 years ago. World class cities are constantly developing. In a way, San Francisco has turned into Santa Cruz with a much bigger playground.

Last edited by TigerBlood; 08-19-2011 at 01:08 PM..

Old 08-19-2011, 01:19 PM

310 posts, read 650,605 times
Quote:
Look at San Francisco in the 21st century: lack of ideas

Not that I fully concur with your other points either, but...seriously...a lack of ideas?

How is it then that San Francisco, Silicon Valley and the Bay Area in general have been the cradle of American (esp. technological) innovation for the past 3 decades or so? Why do so many VC's and IB'ers live in the area then...because there are no ideas to invest in? Please.

I'm sure it's debatable, but the Bay Area IMO is the #1 metro area in the U.S. for an idea person, largely due the VC / entrepreneurial climate, and start-up culture. As an idea person myself (still waiting on his "big break" ) ...this is one of the major deteminants in my plans to move to the area. Hmmm...maybe this question even deserves its own thread?

Old 08-19-2011, 01:22 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,975,251 times
Quote:
I'll say this: In the 20th century San Francisco was definitely a world class city. Not a single doubt about it.

Many cities in the world have social problems, and to be honest, social problems don't really make or break whether you're a world class city but San Francisco is the king crab of social problems. Our city is the training video for other cities to look at so they don't end up like us. Of course, this is just one of many reasons I don't think we're very relevant in the 21st century.

Again, I love living in San Francisco. Maybe a decade down the line, I might entertain the idea of relocating to Chicago, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else right now. I'm a realist, and I realize my city has major problems, and I'd love to do my part in turning this into a world class city again, but when you simply put a band-aid on every single problem that cripples the reputation of this city, that's not gonna fix things.

I think we'll get there. But it's not motivating that in the last 11 years, this city has not been relevant on any major platform.
Your posts don't make any sense. You contradict yourself. So you seem to be saying that social problems make San Francisco NOT a world class city. If we stop putting band-aids on our social problems, then it WOULD be a world class city?

As for San Francisco not being economically relevant, you should pick up a paper sometime--tech/social media industry is thriving again--rents going up-- another bubble probably, but still managing to employ tons of young graduates looking to get their foot in the door. Please suggest another "world class" city where hiring is way up?

Have you been watching what's going on in some of the major cities in Britain? London has always been considered a "world class city" yet the thugs are in full force when opportunities present themselves. Burning down buildings, beating up people, looting etc. Unemployment is very high and it all started from a protest of the shooting of a black man by police.

PS. There's no such thing as a "gay agenda". People just want EQUAL rights. Simple. There was a time when even my parents couldn't marry--mixed race. I doubt they had a mixed race "agenda" just to pi** people like you off.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:50 PM

224 posts, read 347,017 times
No. Absolutely not.

SF is a small frozen museum of a city run by hygienically challenged hippy NIMBYs. When is the last time something noteworthy was built in San Francisco? For all the city's forward thinking (stolen from SV), there is nothing forward about San Francisco. It's so tired. A city of the past. A tourist trap that steals economic relevance from San Jose!!!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:45 PM

36,650 posts, read 67,396,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderr View Post
No. Absolutely not.

SF is a small frozen museum of a city run by hygienically challenged hippy NIMBYs. When is the last time something noteworthy was built in San Francisco? For all the city's forward thinking (stolen from SV), there is nothing forward about San Francisco. It's so tired. A city of the past. A tourist trap that steals economic relevance from San Jose!!!
When your city develops a Downtown that is even a tenth as sophisticated as Downtown SF then we'll talk, in the meantime, there are too many holes in making a case for your own city's 'world class' NESS to point any fingers at SF.

I mean really. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland