Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 04:09 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 04:12 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
The problem with Oakland is the same story with a lot of anywhere mid sized city USA. You take away the manufacturing jobs, throw in a crack and aids epidemic and see what you have left 20 years later. Some are worse than others, but Oakland is hanging in there. Marketing it self as an SF suburb for priced out middle class yuppies is what will likely keep the city in the game.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,629 times
I'm fine with people believing ALL of Oakland is what they see on the news. I'm trying to buy a house and don't need any more competition driving the price up over half-million than I already have.
Seriously, more than any other city I have lived in, Oakland is a city of definite neighborhoods, towns and villages within a city that never get shown on TV.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,408 times
I unfortunately live to Oakland. The place is a proverbial war zone. Anyone who attempts to equate San Francisco to Oakland is a fool. SF has over twice the population of Oakland and less than half the murder rate. The Mayor, along with her staff need to be all fired. The police chief needs to either retire or made to reapply for his job. The Oakland police guild is pretty frustrated with the City's management.

Oakland is an armpit of America. No change in sight based on current policies. The City's managers and leaders are allowing the area to be taken over by drugs, and gangs...the latter are taking over everything except the fat salaries and retirement funds of the city's leaders.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 PM

179 posts, read 412,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4marc View Post
I unfortunately live to Oakland. The place is a proverbial war zone. Anyone who attempts to equate San Francisco to Oakland is a fool. SF has over twice the population of Oakland and less than half the murder rate. The Mayor, along with her staff need to be all fired. The police chief needs to either retire or made to reapply for his job. The Oakland police guild is pretty frustrated with the City's management.

Oakland is an armpit of America. No change in sight based on current policies. The City's managers and leaders are allowing the area to be taken over by drugs, and gangs...the latter are taking over everything except the fat salaries and retirement funds of the city's leaders.
I too live in Oakland. Having moved here last April. And happen to live in west Oakland no less. And asides from some trash blowing about. (People... When tossing plastic bags? Weight them down! So they don't blow out of the dumpsters.) Have yet to hear a single gun shot or witness any unlawful activity. Save whats in the news. Which is no worse than it was in my old home. Iowa city Iowa.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:

I fortunately live in Oakland. Maybe in your part of town it is a war zone, but in my part of town that isn't the case. In the 8 years I have lived in my neighborhood, crime has been the following: a motorcycle was stolen, someone's purse was stolen at a bus stop, and someone's ladder got stolen. Hardly "the murder capital of the world."

You experience with Oakland varies by neighborhood. Just like any other city in the country. Unfortunately people over emphasis the negative in Oakland and underemphasis the positive.

I think the city leadership could be greatly improved, but I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend Oakland as a great place to live (if you use common sense of course).

Old 01-18-2012, 11:34 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
I also live in Oakland. Let's see since I've been back here which was September, I remember seeing a chase on Lakeshore due to a stolen car. The only other thing I heard about was this guy who used to ride a mini motorcycle at Lake Merritt illegally on the pathways and the grass recently had that wretched thing stolen. Some war zone!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:32 AM

70 posts, read 131,031 times
There has been a rash of gardening tool theft in my Oakland neighborhood A little old man is taking people's rakes and selling them at the Laney flea market. However, I left my wallet on the seat of my car all night and everything was in tact and accounted for in the morning.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:40 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
I unfortunately live to Oakland.
Let me guess? You live in the fantastic part of town?

Old 01-19-2012, 12:48 AM

24,404 posts, read 26,951,108 times
There's no doubt, Oakland has a high crime rate, much higher than average, but there are still many parts of Oakland that are safe. It's not my cup of tea, but I can understand why some people like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland