Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:31 AM

700 posts, read 2,711,987 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting the Bay Area later this week and I am staying in Daly City, so I have some questions. I will have a car, but would much rather take public transport (if convenient) into the touristy spots of SF... Lombard Street, China Town, Mission, etc. Is this possible? I also want to know about nightife in and around Daly City... is there any? I enjoyed the Marina District the last time I was in town and would like something similar. I know the drive to the Marina District is about 20 minutes from Daly City, so about how much would it cost to cab it? Also, do any of you suggest I try any restaurants in Daly City?

Thank you for your help. Several of you helped me plan my last trip to SF and it was amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 12:02 PM

858 posts, read 2,229,168 times
Glad you enjoyed SF the last time.

There is a BART station in Daly City that will take you into many places of SF including Mission. The station in Mission is centrally located. Chinatown is 5 blocks north of the Powell Station but it is in the center of Union Square, a hot spot for tourists. The one thing I don't like about BART is the ticket machine. It is so non-user friendly.

BART - Station List

Cab is pretty steep. 5 miles distance is around $25 plus tips.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:23 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,032,309 times
Yeah use BART, don't use a cab. Daly City is pretty sleepy, it's mainly a bedroom community. I guess there's some restaurants there if you needed them.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:09 PM

700 posts, read 2,711,987 times
What is the closest train station to the Cow Hollow or Marina District area? I think I took a bus the last time I was there and then took a cab back to the hotel in downtown. I look forward to going out to bars/clubs the most. lol

Old 08-21-2011, 02:31 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,257,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan#1 View Post
I will be visiting the Bay Area later this week and I am staying in Daly City, so I have some questions. I will have a car, but would much rather take public transport (if convenient) into the touristy spots of SF... Lombard Street, China Town, Mission, etc. Is this possible?

You can drive to the Daly City Bart station,pay to park and take the train into SF. Bart is convenient from most parts of Daly City. However,if you are stuck in one of the motels on Geneva near Cow Palace,these have a Daly City address but are more like part of SF and are not convenient to Daly City Bart.

Quote:
Also, do any of you suggest I try any restaurants in Daly City?
There are some great Asian choices in Daly City with much easier parking than anywhere in SF. Try Banana Island for Malaysian,Burma Cafe or authentic Chinese places like Tai Wu,Koi Palace or Porridge King

Quote:
What is the closest train station to the Cow Hollow or Marina District area? I think I took a bus the last time I was there and then took a cab back to the hotel in downtown. I look forward to going out to bars/clubs the most. lol
A motel in the Marina on Lombard St. may be a better choice for you. The train stations are not convenient to the Marina area. The closet is Civic Center but you will be better off going to Powell which is just a little further and safer.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:02 PM

858 posts, read 2,229,168 times
To get to Marina, get off at Montgomery St. BART Station which is a stop north of Powell station. And take the 45 Muni bus and get off at Union and Gough streets. Direction is below. Google Montgomery St. BART Station and enter your location which I think you wanted Union St. which is filled with bars.

Montgomery St. BART Station

544 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94104

Walk to Sutter St & Kearny St
About 6 mins (0.2 mi)

Sutter St & Kearny St 45

Bus towards Lyon & Greenwich
1:06pm - 1:27pm (21 mins, 14 stops) Union St & Gough St

Old 08-21-2011, 03:14 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,032,309 times
Might as well drive to the Marina, it's in kind of an out of the way part of the city and it shouldn't be totally impossible to park there. Just don't drink then think you can drive.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:52 PM

3,721 posts, read 14,675,687 times
Joe's of Westlake in Daly City near the Westlake shopping center.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:38 PM

101 posts, read 274,639 times
I take BART from Daly City all the time, and I love it. You can get anywhere. There are two stops in the mission, and near Union Square, Ferry building etc. (I recommend catching a ferry to Sausalito for an afternoon.) Parking costs 2 bucks at Bart. If you go mid-morning on a weekday it can be very crowded because everyone's just parked to go to work. One time I had to give up. If you go to Colma Bart there is tons of parking and it only costs 1.50 I think. Plus it's a cleaner, newer station. Also, there is a movie theater near DC Bart, so that's convenient as well.

Anyway, i highly recommend Bart esp. if you like bar hopping/drinking like I do. Plus I hate trying to park in the city.

Daly City will be foggy and kind of boring, so you are wise to go hang out in the city. But as mentioned, there is excellent Asian cuisine if you are into that. Enjoy!

Old 08-21-2011, 05:59 PM

26 posts, read 60,678 times
Joes is the spot and if you know what your doin you will use china cabs and not legit ones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland