Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:51 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sustainovation View Post

Also, Oakland is by no stretch of the imagination safe.
Translation: "I have never been to Oakland and don't know what I'm talking about."

And I'm sure living in San Jose without a car is fine if you never want to leave the downtown core. Berkeley, Oakland and SF are just a lot denser overall than SJ and have a lot more things to do that are more accessible without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 10:08 AM

881 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
San Jose blows, the downtown is ok but outside of it it's endless suburban sprawl.
Is that really necessary? There are other areas outside of downtown San Jose that are nice (Japantown, Campbell, Rose Garden), just as there are nice areas in Oakland (which you tout in every post).

It IS possible to live in SJ without a car, I did so in North SJ for nearly 10 years as a single professional female. You can get around easily with a bike too. How convenient or walkable it is depends largely on what you are used to and where you work.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:35 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
OP: I have serveral friends who live in Berkeley and Oakland who are both car-less and license-less. Several neighbors of mine as well. (I live in the Piedmont Ave area of Oakland) They get around fine. After SF, Berkeley and Oakland are the best bets. The places that aren't accessible via frequent transit are generally largely residential areas way up in the hills. You have no reason to visit unless it is one of your friends. And those hills are really steep. (Like 18Montclair's neighborhood. )

Now that there is a transit accessible Target in Oakland/Emeryville, things are complete.

As for San Jose, being car-less isn't a good alternative. Since the job centers are generally suburban and far from transit, you'd have a limited number of places you can work. Downtown San Jose, and some Peninsula towns have office parks near transit, but generally this isn't the case. Downtown SJ isn't a totally complete neighborhood yet, and it is hard to navigate much of the city without a car.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:07 AM

43 posts, read 104,275 times
She has said that she plans to work from home.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sustainovation View Post
She has said that she plans to work from home.
These days, I take nothing for granted about a job. Just because you work from home today doesn't mean that will change, so I believe in maximum options.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:51 PM

At some point you have to leave the house, even if you have an hsw-level zombie tech job that keeps you working all the time. I'm sure downtown SJ is ok for some but you'd feel confined after a while by not being to get out as easily as you would in SF or Oakland or Berkeley.

Again though I would get a bike if you were in Berkeley or Oakland. If you're near a walkable area like I am then it's ok but both cities are spread out enough that having a bike is really useful so you don't have to walk really long distances or wait around for buses to go anywhere outside of your zone. And it's nicer to bike in Oakland/Berkeley than SF, the streets are more spread out and the drivers don't push you off the road, and it's flatter and less windy.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:18 PM

386 posts, read 797,208 times
Part Feline, where are you currently staying in the Bay Area?

Old 08-22-2011, 01:29 PM

Oakland and Berkeley may be better suited for some, but based on the criteria that the original poster laid down (young professional, grad students, and, most of all, to not be near bad neighborhoods) and her self-professed love for warmer weather and hot summers, downtown San Jose seems like her best bet.

But, Part Feline, you should do some research on your own because any opinion on here will be heavily biased to one's own favorite city.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:21 PM

Rockridge in Oakland is probably safer than downtown SJ, there aren't bands of frat boys and vatos locos wandering around getting in fights at night like in downtown SJ for one thing.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:50 PM

Sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland