Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:28 PM

123 posts, read 289,413 times

Advertisements

Hi forum! I'd love to know if the area around Lake Merritt is safe. I'd love to rent an apartment with a view and I'd like to fitness walk on the trail around the lake. But this single female can only consider this if the area is safe. Any thoughts? Is there a specific area or building you'd suggest? Thanks everyone!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
You'll be safe during the day, but at night use caution. One of my cousin's friends (big guy) was mugged walking around Lake Merrit (but it was at night).

Old 08-23-2011, 11:21 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
The Lake Merritt area is generally pretty safe.

You mentioned you wanted to live where the views were: I am assuming you mean a high rise?

Those high rises are on a quiet side of the Lake. There are lots of retirement homes/etc so there aren't many people walking around after dark. I generally think it is way too dark and deserted at night to stroll around by yourself. Heading into Adams Point, Grand Lake and parts of downtown are OK to walk around at night alone (but being aware).

I haven't walked around the area of Cleveland Heights at night, so I have no insight. (This is the area with the balconies facing the lake).

I am not sold on the Ivy Hill? Area of the lake? Basically the side where the Avenues run into the Lake. It seems sketchy.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:41 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Adam's Point (N. of the Lake) and Cleveland Heights (E. of the Lake) are probably the best bets. The area west of the lake is supposed to be better than it was a few years ago but it's still a little seedy feeling. The area SE of the lake is really sketchy once you go a few blocks away from the lake. During the daytime the lake feels safe, there's always tons of people out though there's often some annoying drunk sitting around somewhere. I dunno how it is at night but generally it's not a great idea to hang out in parks after dark in any big city, but it's up to you.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:47 AM

323 posts, read 697,510 times
I live in Cleveland Heights very near the lake and run around it every morning. It is a wonderful neighborhood, filled with friendly folks. You will be happy and safe if you move to this community. You can even join us on weekly neighborhood walks called "feet on the street" to help make us feel even safer.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotoliveoil View Post
Hi forum! I'd love to know if the area around Lake Merritt is safe. I'd love to rent an apartment with a view and I'd like to fitness walk on the trail around the lake. But this single female can only consider this if the area is safe. Any thoughts? Is there a specific area or building you'd suggest? Thanks everyone!!!!
I wouldn't recommend it to a single female. It's not that safe

Old 08-24-2011, 09:23 AM

123 posts, read 289,413 times
Thank you everyone! I normally fitness walk in the early morning, around 6:15am. But I would be willing to switch to evening walks after work (around 6pm-ish) if early morning is not safe around the lake.

Now that I've pretty much ruled out renting in SF and have switched my focus to Oakland, I feel like there is so much more to consider. I really appreciate this forum and all of you who help me with all your information.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:06 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,530 times
Yes, I live here and it is plenty safe. I can walk around the area alone at night without any worries.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:07 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilarn View Post
I wouldn't recommend it to a single female. It's not that safe
Compared to what? Irvine?

Old 08-24-2011, 10:48 AM

310 posts, read 651,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daepro View Post
I live in Cleveland Heights very near the lake and run around it every morning. It is a wonderful neighborhood, filled with friendly folks. You will be happy and safe if you move to this community. You can even join us on weekly neighborhood walks called "feet on the street" to help make us feel even safer.
Warning: thread poacher alert! I'll make it quick though, and it's germane to the topic:

Thanks for the info. I too have been very interested in the CH neighborhood...the biggest drawback IMO is that it seems to be further away from the BART stations. How long does it take to walk to BART from a typical Cleveland Heights flat? Which is the closest one: 19th St., or Lake Merritt station? Is there (safe) bike parking at either of those 2 stations? Is it (relatively) safe to walk from CH to the Lake Merritt station? Any thoughts on the safest route at night?

TIA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland