Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:31 AM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

I dont know what's worse, an idiot city govt that wants to ban circumcision, or a idiot state govt that actually wastes time and/or money trying to stop them?

GET A LIFE. Its the Economy stupid.

Quote:
A California Senate committee unanimously approved a bill Tuesday to block local jurisdictions from banning male circumcision, a debate that evolved from a divisive ballot measure in San Francisco that would have barred the practice for most boys under age 18.

The Senate Judiciary Committee voted 5-0 for the bill by two Democratic lawmakers that would declare that circumcision—surgically removing the foreskin that covers the tip of the penis—has health, cultural and other benefits, and that uniform statewide rules are needed to govern it and a parent's authority over whether their children receive it.

http://www.mercurynews.com/faith/ci_18746960 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 11:55 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I dont know what's worse, an idiot city govt that wants to ban circumcision, or a idiot state govt that actually wastes time and/or money trying to stop them?

Oh, please. You expect relevance from your governance? Get real!

Old 08-25-2011, 12:11 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Oh dang, my case against that rabbi just got weaker. The case was all about a certain loss of piercing real estate. Oh ... the ... humanity. I am permanently emotionally scarred, I just can't attend the Folsom Street Fair with confidence! /sarc

Old 08-25-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Oh dang, my case against that rabbi just got weaker. The case was all about a certain loss of piercing real estate. Oh ... the ... humanity. I am permanently emotionally scarred, I just can't attend the Folsom Street Fair with confidence! /sarc
So do the California thing. Sue the bastids!

Old 08-25-2011, 12:54 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,305 times
CUT CUT! -- oops, we're not talking about the budget.

Yeah, there are more important things than banning circumcision and hotel flat sheets.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
CUT CUT! -- oops, we're not talking about the budget.

Yeah, there are more important things than banning circumcision and hotel flat sheets.
Name one!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:

They just about had to vote to stop it, otherwise who knows what would happen? some pretty strange laws come out of San Francisco city leaders. I agree it is idiotic to even think of banning the medical proceedure, but it did have a lot of support.

Nita

Old 08-26-2011, 01:43 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:

Agreed.

[don't cut me bro...!!]

Old 08-26-2011, 02:18 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
They just about had to vote to stop it, otherwise who knows what would happen? some pretty strange laws come out of San Francisco city leaders. I agree it is idiotic to even think of banning the medical proceedure, but it did have a lot of support.
Are you saying that the government should not be allowed to ban medical procedures? But that's not the case - there are all sorts of banned medical procedures in this country already. The most relevant here would be the section 273.4 of California Penal Code:

Quote:
273a. (a) Any person who, under circumstances or conditions likely
to produce great bodily harm or death, willfully causes or permits
any child to suffer, or inflicts thereon unjustifiable physical pain
or mental suffering, or having the care or custody of any child,
willfully causes or permits the person or health of that child to be
injured, or willfully causes or permits that child to be placed in a
situation where his or her person or health is endangered, shall be
punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or
in the state prison for two, four, or six years.

273.4. (a) If the act constituting a felony violation of
subdivision (a) of Section 273a was female genital mutilation, as
defined in subdivision (b), the defendant shall be punished by an
additional term of imprisonment in the state prison for one year, in
addition and consecutive to the punishment prescribed by Section
273a.
(b) "Female genital mutilation" means the excision or infibulation
of the labia majora, labia minora, clitoris, or vulva, performed for
nonmedical purposes.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:24 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Calling female genital mutilation a medical procedure is absolutely ludicrous. You may as well call stabbing somebody in the stomach one as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland