Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 12:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonfam View Post
Hi, My family is potentially relocating to Berkeley or San Fran area...I had a few questions & I have always loved reading this website but have never posted....

We are a liberal, down to earth, very non-materialistic fun loving family. Relocating to the san fran area. We need:

Cultural opportunities nearby
great weather (coming form Boston it will be nice but can someone give me some more info about what the 'seasons' are like typically?) Im worried we're moving all the way to CA & it wont be hot? Also, I have been told that depending upon where in SF we move, some places are warmer than others

Really like urban environments that are kid-friendly (ie has parks, can walk w/ the stroller to the post office, grocery, post office etc.) livable....not a fan of suburban living. love old architecture & would rather live in a beautiful old house w/ a teeny yard but within 5 minutes of the hustle & bustle VS. a big house w/ big yard in the burbs....

My Dh really likes Berkeley and I am on the fence....Also-we need to have a temple nearby (will my child be the only jewish one in an entire class?) Lastly, Great public schools are necessary as well-but Im finding that is all 'relative' of course. We're coming from excellent public in Cambridge filled w/ Professors kids etc....

Also, should we look at San Fran proper (ie pacific heights or some of the other neighborhoods?) What other neighborhoods are worth investigating? Cost not really an issue-so assuming you could afford to live anywhere-what would be your ideal city/town & why? thanks so much!!!

Just for frame of reference-we LOVE nyc, like Santa Monica (a bit too la cheesy for me), obviously love Cambridge, love ann arbor, MI etc-love the college towns and/or real cities (Boston, NYC etc.)
I haven't read the responses so mine are strictly my own and not based on what others have said.

In San Francisco area it is going to be hard to find "family friendly" and urban. They just do not often go together. If college town, somewhat urban, plus decent weather is what you are looking for I think Berk would be your best option. If you get any closer to San Francisco and the coast you may get more fog and less warm summer weather than you would like. Remember, living in Boston or anywhere in New England is very different than living in CA regardless of where in Ca you will be living.

Now I have read the responses: I hadn't thought about Albany. But as I mentioned, I think you can see, from others comments, you are not going to find the bay area anything like Boston...
NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 01:41 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
Berkeley is a gritty and more diverse Cambridge.

Palo Alto does not really cut it, it's more sterile than Cambridge.

Bottom line, they broke the mold.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etoile_filante View Post
The Elmwood neighborhood of Berkeley is a beautiful, family-friendly neighborhood close to campus, and is the area I would focus on given your criteria. There is plenty of religious and cultural diversity in Berkeley, and you will not stand out by being Jewish.
That's my favorite Berkeley neighborhood! Although sometimes there are too many students. Good proximity to transit, freeway and amenities.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:16 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,158,614 times
Berkeley is not what I would consider family friendly unless you are talking about the hills.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:12 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,073,932 times
The SW corner of Berkeley is really the only crappy part. The rest will only seem sketchy if you're a sheltered suburbanite. Elmwood, N. Berkeley and the NW area out towards 4th are nice though 4th has some ghost town industrial zones. Downtown has some bums here and there but they're easily ignored.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 AM

52 posts, read 193,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Berkeley is not what I would consider family friendly unless you are talking about the hills.
Just for perspective, many families would disagree with that statement. Elmwood, for example, is not in the hills.

One helpful resource for families in Berkeley and nearby neighborhoods is Berkeley Parents Network website. Here is a link with some descriptions of family-friendly neighborhoods, for example:

http://parents.berkeley.edu/recommen.../berkeley.html

Old 08-31-2011, 10:50 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,158,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirplet View Post
Just for perspective, many families would disagree with that statement. Elmwood, for example, is not in the hills.

One helpful resource for families in Berkeley and nearby neighborhoods is Berkeley Parents Network website. Here is a link with some descriptions of family-friendly neighborhoods, for example:

Berkeley Parents Network: Living in Berkeley, CA
Yea I am sure some would disagree and that is good and fine. Elmwood is at the base of the hill surrounded by a couple upscale neighborhoods in Oakland, it's a little different than most of Berkeley.

It's nothing personal, I love Berkeley for what it is, lived there for 6 and a half years, but I would not raise my children there. Look at the number of violent sex offenders that live there or look at the crime stats from the last two weeks. A sizable amount of robberies in Berkeley happen at or with in several blocks of the parks, never mind the homeless.

About the only thing I see similar between Cambridge and Berkeley is that they are both urbane, with a college. I would suggest PA over Berkeley as much as it pains me to .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland