Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 17,321 times

Advertisements

Hi, My family is potentially relocating to Berkeley or San Fran area...I had a few questions & I have always loved reading this website but have never posted....

We are a liberal, down to earth, very non-materialistic fun loving family. Relocating to the san fran area. We need:

Cultural opportunities nearby
great weather (coming form Boston it will be nice but can someone give me some more info about what the 'seasons' are like typically?) Im worried we're moving all the way to CA & it wont be hot? Also, I have been told that depending upon where in SF we move, some places are warmer than others

Really like urban environments that are kid-friendly (ie has parks, can walk w/ the stroller to the post office, grocery, post office etc.) livable....not a fan of suburban living. love old architecture & would rather live in a beautiful old house w/ a teeny yard but within 5 minutes of the hustle & bustle VS. a big house w/ big yard in the burbs....

My Dh really likes Berkeley and I am on the fence....Also-we need to have a temple nearby (will my child be the only jewish one in an entire class?) Lastly, Great public schools are necessary as well-but Im finding that is all 'relative' of course. We're coming from excellent public in Cambridge filled w/ Professors kids etc....

Also, should we look at San Fran proper (ie pacific heights or some of the other neighborhoods?) What other neighborhoods are worth investigating? Cost not really an issue-so assuming you could afford to live anywhere-what would be your ideal city/town & why? thanks so much!!!

Just for frame of reference-we LOVE nyc, like Santa Monica (a bit too la cheesy for me), obviously love Cambridge, love ann arbor, MI etc-love the college towns and/or real cities (Boston, NYC etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 03:01 PM

44 posts, read 64,014 times
If you like Cambridge you may want to look at Palo Alto, and the area around Stanford. Nice places to shop, dine, and great weather.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:08 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
News, Events and Shopping in Oakland's Rockridge

Has a BART station for trips into San Francisco www.bart.gov/stations/index.aspx.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:51 PM

291 posts, read 957,732 times
Public schools in San Francisco and Berkeley are not the best. San Francisco is in a lottery system and Berkeley is a little hit and miss. If you really like Berkeley I would suggest living in Albany. The schools are very good and you can be pretty much walking distance to Solano Ave shops & restaurants in Berkeley. It is a very family oriented area too. The weather tends to be more on the cool side (mid 50's to low 70's year round) with am fog and normally sunny afternoons.

Parts of Oakland are also nice with similar weather as Berkeley. If you want more of a city feel, that's probably a good choice as well.

But if you want warmer weather, check cities further inland. I suggest Walnut Creek. Summers tend to be hot (in the 80's and low 90's) with a very pleasant rest of the year with temps in the 60's and 70's, one exception Dec & Jan normally in the 50's. Downtown Walnut Creek is nice and filled with shops and restaurants. A lot of east bay cities have similar weather, good schools and walkable downtown. I suggest you check out Lamorinda (Lafayette, Moraga & Orinda), Pleasanton, Danville and Livermore. The south bay also offers similar warmer climate cities with good public school options. They include Palo Alto, Los Altos, Los Gatos, etc.

If true city living is in your blood, you are probably stuck with lukewarm weather of either San Francisco, Berkeley and Oakland. The only exception I would say is San Jose, especially downtown San Jose area. You can get warmer weather with a city feel but the schools are not very good in the downtown area, so you will need to pick what's more important to you (urban/city living OR warm weather with good public schools?).

If you give us your budget and where you'll be working, we can probably give you better advise. Normally the budget and work location dictates what areas you should focus on.

This website can also help you narrow down the good public school areas: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 08-28-2011, 04:57 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
I wouldn't compare Berkeley and Cambridge. Berkeley is kind of ghetto and dirty. It's not the kind of area you want to raise young kids.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:00 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I wouldn't compare Berkeley and Cambridge. Berkeley is kind of ghetto and dirty. It's not the kind of area you want to raise young kids.
Parts of Berkeley (like any city), but not all of it, not by a long shot.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Parts of Berkeley (like any city), but not all of it, not by a long shot.
Not all of it of course, but I think it makes up a larger part of the city than most cities its size. It's a great area for young adults, but not the kind of city you want to raise a young family. Just my opinion. I think parts of Palo Alto are more comparable to Cambridge.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:30 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Yeah I disagree with Berkeley being ghetto and a bad place to raise a family. Maybe if you live in South Berkeley or by campus on Telegraph Ave. But otherwise I think Berkeley is a much better place to raise kids than SF... It's a pretty big town with a lot of different neighborhoods.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:32 PM

I don't think SF is a good place to raise a family either. Too many homeless people in SF and Berkeley to feel safe having your kids play outside alone.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I wouldn't compare Berkeley and Cambridge. Berkeley is kind of ghetto and dirty.
I gotta agree about dirty. Berkeley (and SF and Oakland) are VERY dirty compared with most metro areas in the US. For whatever reason, the Bay does not believe in public trashcans.

To the OP: Try Albany or Alameda for walkable towns with good schools. Schools in Berkeley, Oakland and SF generally suck -- especially as your kids get older.

Palo Alto is pleasant, but overpriced. And not very walkable (unless you are near downtown). Outside of downtown it is strip mall central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland