Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:10 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

^Interesting. I still maintain contact with many of my childhood friends and remain very close with my inner circle from high school(Oakland High)-funniest part is how uncliquish our clique was(LOL).....Oakland is definitely that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 12:06 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I think part of it is a sign of the times and part of it is California in general, but no it is not as neighborly as other places I have seen.

I think a big part of it has to do with the fact that much of the state was rural prior to the second world war. The majority of people born in the state don't have roots in the state that goes back to the 1940's and super majority don't have roots prior to the 1920's. You just don't have that kind of level of inter-generational connectivity going on. Most of the bay and state is young.

The state is very transplanted, transient, diverse, mobile, dynamic. It seems like more people coming from more places here. Tons of natives leaving, tons of transplants and immigrants coming. Tons of people coming and going every which way and even more simply passing through.

I think that with the states diversity and history people are a bit more cliquish. Lot's of people can't really relate to their neighbors in many ways or there is a language, cultural, or prejudicial barrier. People tend to seem more suspicious and disliking of outsiders/ new arrivals.

Over all the whole state just really feels kind of hit or miss. It's an issue that cross diverse and the homogeneous communities, as well as all levels of socioeconomic form what I have seen. Where my in laws live in Carlsbad it is the same way. No one is on a first name basis with their 5 nearest neighbors.
yep, that pretty much how it is in CA

lots of people just simply dont have anything in common lots of diversity, too many barriers, so people just tend to keep to themselves

Old 09-01-2011, 12:21 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Really I don't think friendliness or lack thereof has anything to do with being in California and I don't think you can look at things like "oh California has so many immigrants/so much diversity" or "everyone's a transplant." Pretty much anywhere I've lived in the US people didn't talk much with their neighbors--suburbs or urban areas. I think Americans tend to keep to themselves in general and in the last 30+ years or so people have been so browbeaten with news stories about crime and crazy people kidnapping or murdering whomever that they try to avoid strangers if in a suburban or rural area. And if you're in an urban area you just avoid strangers because you're in a big city and that's how living in a big city is--it's nothing to do with "oh everyone in San Francisco is so cold," go to Chicago or London or whatever and you get the same closed-off attitude from strangers.

Where I live in Oakland feels a lot more neighborly than anywhere else I've lived in the US as I said. People in Florida, where I grew up, never talk to strangers and aren't outgoing to neighbors. Some people will know a neighbor but usually only superficially. Being neighbors in the suburbs usually means you have some sort of grudge or dispute develop, over a fence or noise issues or whatever. In a rural area you at least have more space.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:39 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Americans tend to keep to themselves in general

...because...(wait for it)...they're glued to their electronic gizmos. Might even be blogging right now!

Old 09-01-2011, 06:53 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
I lived in the Outer Richmond District and knew many of my neighbors, we took daily walks and said hello to many of them

Old 09-01-2011, 08:16 PM

227 posts, read 538,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAve2OakLand View Post
Ah, I see where that is now...near Mills college. In my own admittedly limited knowledge of that area, it's what I would classify as "somewhat sketchy"...is this accurate, or yet another OAK neighborhood with a bad rap? Maybe stay north of MacArthur / Foothill, and you should be fine safety-wise...or not necessarily?

I just ask b/c I'm still refining my list of affordable yet relatively safe Oakland n-hoods. Thanks!
Many nice neighborhoods in the flats and slants in Oakland, especially in the East and West, are a block or two from the sketch. There are hoods SOUTH of MacArthur and above Foothill that are very nice. And then maybe three blocks south of that--so-so. I've lived in Millsmont for a long while, and never been robbed. Once accidentally left the door to my car open all night (not unlocked, but totally open) and nothing was missing. But maybe a neighbor on the next block wasn't so fortunate. And property crime in Oakland seems to be worse right now in general from what I've read. It seems most of our issues are quality of life ones. But yeah, not going to pretend it's not an urban environment in East O, because it is, and sometimes higher-level crime is perpetrated.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:22 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Kind of reminds me of a story my Grandfather told me years ago...

There were two men that moved to the same city... when asked to comment on the people they have met... one said lots of friendly people here... just like where I came from and the other replied people are not too friendly here... just like where I came from.

Sometimes you have to be a friend to have friends...

Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 PM

52 posts, read 193,665 times
I am originally from the east bay and have also lived in the South Bay, and notice the transient nature of the population here (especially after living in a very friendly neighborhood in new england). We are now in a neighborhood in Fremont that is one of the friendliest I have lived in. It is known for having a strong sense of community - there are lots of people who have been here since the 50's, and quite a few folks who grew up here returned to raise their own families. It has been a nice surprise, as Fremont doesn't always have the best reputation. I think the neighborhood is a hidden gem in the Bay Area. We have block parties, movies in the park, easter egg hunts, fourth of july party for our larger neighborhood. Nice place to have kids.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:45 PM

310 posts, read 651,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelacious View Post
Many nice neighborhoods in the flats and slants in Oakland, especially in the East and West, are a block or two from the sketch. There are hoods SOUTH of MacArthur and above Foothill that are very nice. And then maybe three blocks south of that--so-so. I've lived in Millsmont for a long while, and never been robbed. Once accidentally left the door to my car open all night (not unlocked, but totally open) and nothing was missing. But maybe a neighbor on the next block wasn't so fortunate. And property crime in Oakland seems to be worse right now in general from what I've read. It seems most of our issues are quality of life ones. But yeah, not going to pretend it's not an urban environment in East O, because it is, and sometimes higher-level crime is perpetrated.
thanks, shelacious...for your 1st-hand account of the area. I, for one, am pleasantly surprised to learn that there are at least somewhat "tranquil" n-hoods not all that far from the "war zone". you don't hear those neighborhoods (deep EO) talked about much on these forums, so thanks again for sharing your knowledge here. Your post reminds me that paranoia and fear reign supreme in America 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Kind of reminds me of a story my Grandfather told me years ago...

There were two men that moved to the same city... when asked to comment on the people they have met... one said lots of friendly people here... just like where I came from and the other replied people are not too friendly here... just like where I came from.
Good story. Also known as... 'you will find pretty much find what you expect to find.' As I've said before...we all perceive the world through our own subjective filter. Maybe we can't control the external events, but we can somewhat adjust the "filter".

Last edited by OakAve2OakLand; 09-01-2011 at 11:56 PM..

Old 09-03-2011, 12:44 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
We love our neighborhood! Quiet court, lots of families and kids, 2 police officers live nearby, great schools, reasonable priced homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal-c View Post
As I look for a new neighborhood to relocate to, I'm realizing more and more that I'd love to be in a place where the neighbors know each other, talk to each other and look out for each other - where you don't feel awkward about asking your neighbors to borrow something, or to look after your kids for an hour. I grew up in a New England city neighborhood that was like this (not so long ago - in the 80s) and living in Brooklyn 10 years ago my neighborhood was also very "neighborhoody" and friendly. However, sometimes I fear that this kind of neighborhood is disappearing. I only know one of my neighbors here in SoCal, and it's only because we are right next door to each other.

I'd love to hear from those of you who live in the Bay Area - in the city or elsewhere - who live in a neighborhood where this friendly community feeling is retained. Does anyone have that experience in their neighborhood currently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland