Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:04 PM

21 posts, read 42,672 times

Advertisements

I am trying to move here and have been dead set on it for years. Only now is it maybe a possibility, but I am wondering if it's a pipe dream. Most of my friends from college, who are my age (around 26) live there, so surely it doesn't take great riches and tons of work experience to survive there. But I've heard that its only the rich who can afford to live there and enjoy the amazing nightlife, culture, music, art and festival scene I have been dying to be a part of. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 02:14 PM

3,980 posts, read 9,004,855 times
You don't need to be rich to live here--just okay with having a couple of roommates. If you just have to live in your own 1 bedroom apartment by yourself and plan on participating in all of these cultural events every weekend, then you'll need a good income.

You really only need to be wealthy if you decide to settle here, buy a house, raise a family, etc.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:51 PM

802 posts, read 2,267,951 times
Depends on your definition of "rich".

Old 08-31-2011, 03:25 PM

484 posts, read 823,983 times
There are activities for all different budgets, but if you're planning to attend the symphony, opera, ballet, etc., every weekend you'll be spending a lot more money than going to free street festivals.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:34 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,097,826 times
Get a room in an apt with roommates for around $700-800, live without a car, and you can get by on around $15-18 an hour. It's true though that SF has gotten more and more expensive. Only 4 or 5 years ago the city felt a lot more economically diverse in terms of class and there were a lot more people in their early 20's, now it feels a lot more dominated by yuppies who are in their late 20's and 30's. Oakland right now feels like SF did around 2005 which makes me wonder what Oakland will be like around 2015 or so.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:00 PM

36,686 posts, read 67,691,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
There are activities for all different budgets, but if you're planning to attend the symphony, opera, ballet, etc., every weekend you'll be spending a lot more money than going to free street festivals.
Basically.

Any budget can have fun SF.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:46 PM

6,421 posts, read 8,303,481 times
Money certainly helps, but I've been a broke ass college/grad student for years here and had the best years of my life.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:56 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,475,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Basically.

Any budget can have fun SF.
even the homeless get free entertainment and participate in street festivals, it's in their backyard

Old 08-31-2011, 04:56 PM

954 posts, read 1,283,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Money certainly helps, but I've been a broke ass college/grad student for years here and had the best years of my life.
...So you live in San Francisco? You should update your profile.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:29 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,720,761 times
SF is no different from DC or NYC. They are all expensive cosmopolitan cities with vibrant culture and nightlife. These are cities where people do commute to party. Bay Area residents don't call SF "The City" for no reason. However, as others have stated it is completely doable and affordable with roommates. SF has become very gentrified and there are many vibrant neighborhoods that are great for people like you. Although I live on the East Coast, I visit SF multiple times a year because most of my family lives there and I grew up there. But I am trying to move back too. I am also a young professional in my late 20's who would probably have the same living arrangements as you if I did move back. SF makes the top ten list for many best places to live for young professionals/recent grads:

Top 10 Best American Cities and Places for Young Professionals

Best Cities for Recent College Grads? You Might Be Surprised - Careers Articles

However, I think the challenge of initially moving to SF would be finding a steady income in the Bay Area. The job market has pretty much sucked everywhere in America since about late 2007. Although San Jose tops the list of one of the best job markets in the country, it is no secret that finding gainful employment is tough for even the most educated and experienced individuals anywhere in America. You may not have this problem. Just as anywhere else, you may have to scrape by with a few crappy low-paying jobs to make ends meet at first.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 08-31-2011 at 05:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland