U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2011, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Hyde st, in the 'Loin
23 posts, read 57,802 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

I am listening to RBL Posse as I type this (and I'd LOVE for any of you yuppies to dispute they ain't from SF) and they all call it "Frisco". All of my friends growing up in the city would knock the taste out of one's mouth for saying they were not natives for calling it "Frisco".

Andre Nickatina calls it Frisco.

Celski calls it Frisco.

Almost EVERYONE in Bayview, Tenderloin, and Fillmore call it "Frisco".

So maybe it's the clueless, borderline racist yuppie (probably trying to pretend he's local by not calling it Frisco, despite the irony that mostly locals call it Frisco) that avoids calling it by that name?

What do you think? because I'm beginning to think out of towners are the only ones who have problems with it being called Frisco...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2011, 03:57 PM
 
Location: South Korea
5,242 posts, read 12,001,201 times
Reputation: 2952
As I said in the other topic, Frisco is kind of a hip-hop, ironic moniker, kind of an affectionate nickname. People who live in SF actually use it. But nobody calls it San Fran. What I think is funny is people who don't live here think that it's bad form to call it Frisco, but then they use "San Fran" and sound like moron. You know you're talking to some "know it all" non-resident when they insist you can't call it Frisco.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 04:04 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,915 posts, read 13,172,031 times
Reputation: 3072
Transplants got the idea from Herb Caen (of "Don't Call it Frisco" fame) who himself is a transplant. It's convenient though because it let's me know whether the person I'm talking to is a native or not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
9,197 posts, read 14,947,166 times
Reputation: 6346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
let's me know whether the person I'm talking to is a native or not.
That would be: "Hella"




Frisco Frisco Frisco, nyah nyah nyah! (The more people from SF complain about stuff like Frisco and San Fran, the easier it is to upset them. Makes it quite easy and entertaining, actually.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 06:41 PM
 
Location: San Leandro
4,576 posts, read 8,291,482 times
Reputation: 3248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Transplants got the idea from Herb Caen (of "Don't Call it Frisco" fame) who himself is a transplant. It's convenient though because it let's me know whether the person I'm talking to is a native or not.
Herb can was not a transplant, he was a California native. I don't know where you get that. He was born in Sac during ww1 and moved to sf in the 1930's or 20's I believe.

There are two types of people who care about what to call SF:

1) Transplants trying pass themselves off as natives or aficianados or what ever. You have to understand that SF attracts a lot of people who want to smoke weed, or be gay, or be yupster http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/, or be liberal...and they just *have* to be it in SF. And sometimes, well all of the time, they tend to over do it.

2) People angry at life.

Everyone else is to busy living life to care. I've never really seen a native or transplant get indignant over what to call SF in person. Only on city data...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 07:09 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,915 posts, read 13,172,031 times
Reputation: 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Herb can was not a transplant, he was a California native. I don't know where you get that. He was born in Sac during ww1 and moved to sf in the 1930's or 20's I believe.

There are two types of people who care about what to call SF:

1) Transplants trying pass themselves off as natives or aficianados or what ever. You have to understand that SF attracts a lot of people who want to smoke weed, or be gay, or be yupster Stuff White People Like, or be liberal...and they just *have* to be it in SF. And sometimes, well all of the time, they tend to over do it.

2) People angry at life.

Everyone else is to busy living life to care. I've never really seen a native or transplant get indignant over what to call SF in person. Only on city data...

He's a San Francisco transplant. He moved to SF well into his 20's so he's definitely not from there. Or is the word "transplant" exclusive to out of staters? I hear people who move up from LA referred to as "transplants" all the time.

Your #1 definition (transplants passing themselves off as natives and overcompensating for their lack of native "SFness") was what I was referring to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 07:36 PM
 
Location: San Leandro
4,576 posts, read 8,291,482 times
Reputation: 3248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
He's a San Francisco transplant. He moved to SF well into his 20's so he's definitely not from there. Or is the word "transplant" exclusive to out of staters? I hear people who move up from LA referred to as "transplants" all the time.

Your #1 definition (transplants passing themselves off as natives and overcompensating for their lack of native "SFness") was what I was referring to.
When you're talking about 100 miles, yea you're splitting hairs dude. LA is 350 miles by car from SF and might as well be in another state. Sac is like a 2 hour drive. He's a Northern California native and lived in SF from the 30's until the 90's and wrote for the chronicle his entire life damn near until his actual dying day. He lived in SF for over 60 years and was there long before you or most "natives" who post here had any family roots there, and he was there before you were born. It doesn't get more SF than him, unless you are born and raised there, and then proceed to live the rest of your life there. There are very few people who can say they logged 60 plus years in SF.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 07:42 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,915 posts, read 13,172,031 times
Reputation: 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
When you're talking about 100 miles, yea you're splitting hairs dude. LA is 350 miles by car from SF and might as well be in another state. Sac is like a 2 hour drive. He's a Northern California native and lived in SF from the 30's until the 90's and wrote for the chronicle his entire life damn near until his actual dying day. He lived in SF for over 60 years and was there long before you or most "natives" who post here had any family roots there, and he was there before you were born. It doesn't get more SF than him, unless you are born and raised there, and then proceed to live the rest of your life there. There are very few people who can say they logged 60 plus years in SF.

I guarantee you a whole lot of SF natives would disagree with you. Ever heard the phrase, "It's where you're at, not where you're from?" That's what you're trying to say. Natives anywhere tend to say the opposite. The exception is when you move somewhere when you're a kid, and even then the cutoff is usually before you're a pre-teen. There's a reason why people say "born & raised"... Caen was neither.

And with that logic, someone who lives in Sausalito has the right to say they're "from SF" since they're less than a mile away right? After all there's zero difference between the two, let alone between Sac and SF.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 08:14 PM
 
Location: San Leandro
4,576 posts, read 8,291,482 times
Reputation: 3248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I guarantee you a whole lot of SF natives would disagree with you. Ever heard the phrase, "It's where you're at, not where you're from?" That's what you're trying to say. Natives anywhere tend to say the opposite. The exception is when you move somewhere when you're a kid, and even then the cutoff is usually before you're a pre-teen. There's a reason why people say "born & raised"... Caen was neither.

And with that logic, someone who lives in Sausalito has the right to say they're "from SF" since they're less than a mile away right? After all there's zero difference between the two, let alone between Sac and SF.

Now your just making up random stuff , exception is a preteen cut off, wtf? Yea theres a whole lot of difference between some one whomoves to the bay at 13 vs someone who moved there at 12, ROFL. Do you even read this stuff you write?

Using your logic, some one who moves from Berkeley to Oakland like Gentoo, would be an Oakland transplant. Or some one like 18montclair from Oakland moving to SF is now a transplant. Or someone like Sav858 who was born and raised in Walnut Creek moving to SF is now a transplant. Thats about the most silly thing I've heard.



Herb Caen lived in the bay for as long as you wish to be alive. You're a teen who did not even see most of the 1990's let alone all the change Herb Caen saw. Your post is what's wrong with the youth of today, no concept of historical context, and no respect for those that preceeded you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 08:35 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,472 posts, read 3,196,101 times
Reputation: 1569
The only people who call it Frisco now are Hip Hop/Rap types (just like we can blame them for "Cali" which is cringe-worthy too). Even eastern tourists don't call it Frisco anymore, they call it "San Fran" - and that sounds just as stupid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top